• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Magic (6 PM Tip!)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Dumb call not to add another wing defender this offseason to  a roster where your only wing defender gets hurt a lot.

As I recall, there was a lot of talk about Jae Crowder last season.   I am surprised, that we never made a push to get him.  He rarely plays in Milwaukee. I believe that he would add a lot more than either Mat(t)hews.

image.png

Jaquez = 14/4/3 in 30 mpg

Udoka has seen the growth from Amen Thompson and Cam Whitmore. Whitmore, in particular, has seen his minutes increase with the injury to Brooks and Eason and has taken full advantage. Even with the strong play, it seems it will still be difficult for Whitmore to get consistent minutes once the Rockets are fully healthy, but as Udoka pointed out, "it's a good problem to have."

Clowney has been hurt  and Murray has had his struggles. 

Yeah, the thought of having another wing defender is one that we haven't fulfilled.   Even no Knox was available.  At any rate, we will see how things play out.  Bufkin may prove to be the best in his class.   We just don't know until he gets some time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Dre and the Hawks had nothing to do with the win over OKC.    OKC lost that game, ATL didn't win it.   ATL won by being so bad that OKC completely overlooked them after playing a massive game in Boston the night before and then having everyone in the media throw flowers at them the entire day leading up to the ATL trap game.

Well, I know for sure you’re at least half right. 
Dre had nothing to do with the Hawks win over OKC. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

ESPN and Hawks app show 6 fouls.

This is on Quin, he should recognize that JJ was playing defense to not foul. That's where OO in lieu of CC would have been helpful in OT, particularly with how OO played him all game.

Sticking with the starters just because is fool hardy.

I stick up for Quin as much as anybody, but for the life of me I can't understand why he didn't play OO more to close out the 4th or in OT.  If the opposing team has a center with size that OO cannot handle, then I get it, but that was not the case with Orlando.  OO was playing great, and I agree, could have made life much more difficult on Paolo than JJ having to play soft due to foul trouble.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Phunkabilly said:

I stick up for Quin as much as anybody, but for the life of me I can't understand why he didn't play OO more to close out the 4th or in OT.  If the opposing team has a center with size that OO cannot handle, then I get it, but that was not the case with Orlando.  OO was playing great, and I agree, could have made life much more difficult on Paolo than JJ having to play soft due to foul trouble.

I also just fundamentally don't agree with playing soft if you're in foul trouble.  It's more detrimental than just fouling out.  I don't blame Quin as much on playing the starters at the end of games though, as we're trying to trade these guys for value right now.  What kind of message does it send if we're benching guys like Capela/Hunter at the end of games?  Not saying we shouldn't try to win by any means possible but I get the position it puts Quin in.  

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I also just fundamentally don't agree with playing soft if you're in foul trouble.  It's more detrimental than just fouling out.  I don't blame Quin as much on playing the starters at the end of games though, as we're trying to trade these guys for value right now.  What kind of message does it send if we're benching guys like Capela/Hunter at the end of games?  Not saying we shouldn't try to win by any means possible but I get the position it puts Quin in.  

If we're trying to showcase vs win games then.......

• Sad 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think that is the implicit message when we went from buyers to sellers in the trade market.  We have our pick this year -- it would be pretty shortsighted to try to get into the playin and get swept by the Cs.  Not that I disagree with that approach, but it's a short term v long term outlook.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Heh, anybody else see that play late where Trae was fighting for his life and orchestrated a tremendous pass to Capela who was under the basket.  He went up and completely blew the bunny.  Trae's shoulders sank.  It was so sad.

Even sadder still was the fact that, even if OO had been the recipient, there was about a 93.7% chance he woulda kicked it outta bounds of done a floppy layup to blow the chance as well.

Hello darkness, my old friend. 😐

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

I was told Pierce and Nate was the problem. 

Then was told Trae was the problem...

Who is the problem now?

2 of those guys are gone...

Cant blame them anymore.. Thats for sure...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

I was told Pierce and Nate was the problem. 

Then was told Trae was the problem...

Who is the problem now?

Somebody may have said that but I've never claimed it.  There has been no "the" problem.  There have been problems the resolution of which hardly guarantee a championship.

Trae's defense has been a problem.  Improving it helps but doesn't "solve" the team.

Nate's offense was a problem.  Using a better system helps but doesn't "solve" all the team's issues.

LP lost the team and needed to go but he wasn't the only problem. 

You can go on and on.  We have a multitude of things that can be improved or fixed without meaning that we are now counting how many years we will be winning rings in a row.  We need each coach and player to work on the things they can control and deliver better performance on those items.  Our front office also needs to hold up their end of the deal.  Perfection is unattainable but we should always be striving for better and should not hesitate to make a move like letting Nate or LP go when it becomes clear they have problems that can't be fixed and aren't worth the good things they bring.  (This view on them is hardly unique and is why neither is a head coach today.)

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Heh, anybody else see that play late where Trae was fighting for his life and orchestrated a tremendous pass to Capela who was under the basket.  He went up and completely blew the bunny.  Trae's shoulders sank.  It was so sad.

Even sadder still was the fact that, even if OO had been the recipient, there was about a 93.7% chance he woulda kicked it outta bounds of done a floppy layup to blow the chance as well.

Hello darkness, my old friend. 😐

But Bruno would've gathered that ball ( since his hands are better now ), went straight up, and at least drew the foul, if not dunked the ball.

Play the active big!

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Who is this? I gotta know before I click 😂 

I had never seen this one before, but actually its really good and entertaining. You should give it a watch. People are furious with Quin. I would swear one of the cats they talked to was @TheNorthCydeRises he was going on and on about the "big" lineup.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But Bruno would've gathered that ball ( since his hands are better now ), went straight up, and at least drew the foul, if not dunked the ball.

Play the active big!

Bruno isn't the answer .... but could he be an answer for a couple possessions?  Dunno but we're not good enough to not even ask the question. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

I had never seen this one before, but actually its really good and entertaining. You should give it a watch. People are furious with Quin. I would swear one of the cats they talked to was @TheNorthCydeRises he was going on and on about the "big" lineup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Bruno isn't the answer .... but could he be an answer for a couple possessions?  Dunno but we're not good enough to not even ask the question. 

Bruno being our "silver bullet" is a perfect example the sad state of affairs in our front court. He's a 3rd stringer drafted in the second round who couldn't even get minutes on a tanking Rockets team. The dude is averaging 3PPG and 3 RPG for his 5 year career.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SalvorMallow said:

I am a daily watcher of Demond and his show.  I stay in the chat and have been hammering about the big lineup since Thanksgiving.  They're just now coming around to it.  If you see someone defending Trae big time in the chat, it's probably me.

That show is lukewarm at best on Trae, but they know he's the best player. Lukewarm on Bogi, but hate his defense.

Higher on Murray until recently. Highest on JJ and want to see him be the best player. Very low on Clint, 12, the Matthews bros, Bey.

Absolutely hates Ressler, Fields, and now Korver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:19 PM, NBASupes said:

I remember a poster who was high af on getting Podz all draft season. Of course, we didn't do it tho. 

That poster has more value than our entire scouting department.  They all need a pink slip.  Every night I watch Jaquez shaking my head.  IQ, toughness, and feel higher than any Hawk old or young.  Why these kids don’t stay in college at least 2 years is beyond me.  Well I do know they don’t give a damn about actually knowing how to play just want some shiny chains and loose women lol.

I thought Quin would bring some college coaching sensibilities but naw.

Edited by benhillboy