• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight Flight

46 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't know if it's a precursor to a Kemba trade, but it was about getting under the tax. They saved $7 mil this year.

I kinda think it's step 1 in a sloppy rebuild .... that also saved them cash.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, High5 said:

I'm not usually one to say "I told ya so," but... @TheNorthCydeRises @Diesel

Dwight has negative value. There was no "good" trade to be had. 

What did you tell us??  Did you tell us that Charlotte is having a firesale and looking to tank??  Watch Kemba be moved Next... Then what?  Moreover... Have you heard of Mitch Kupchak?  Dude is still holding for Dwight leaving LAL. 

• Like 1

Dwight's history

- Gone from Orlando . . . . Magic went into tank mode, and haven't been back to the playoffs ( 5 years ) . . .

• PER rank on team in final year:  1st

- Gone from LA Lakers . . . Lakers went into tank mode, haven't been back to the playoffs ( 4 years ) . . .

• PER rank on team in final year:  2nd  

- Gone from Houston . . . . Rockets add Chris Paul, made WCF Finals . . . but also made the WCF with Dwight

• PER rank on team in final year:  3rd - ( the much maligned Michael Beasley, in limited minutes, was 2nd )

- Gone from Atlanta . . . . . Hawks went into tank mode, and haven't been back to the playoffs ( 1 year )

- Gone from Charlotte . . . TBD

• PER rank on team in final year:  3rd - ( 0.1 behind Kemba Walker . . Willy Hernangomez in limited minutes, was 1st )

But hey, knock all of yourselves out, thinking he was the major problem with those teams.  And funny that all of the teammates that supposedly hated him, were either worse players than he was, or not even on those respective teams at this moment.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't know if it's a precursor to a Kemba trade, but it was about getting under the tax. They saved $7 mil this year.

The Hornets franchise is a joke but I do give them a "A" for effort. Here go the Nets and it is their chance to try and turn Dwight's career around.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

At least you see what is happening.  4 of the last 5 teams have done those "sloppy rebuilds" and I'm including us.

True, but that's how far his value has tanked, that's he a pawn for teams and their sloppy rebuilds.  All those stats you posted have no intrinsic value to winning and in the locker room where it matters most.

He's a sure fire HOFer but it's a sad end for him but he just can't get right. It always end the same......whatever it is, it's HIM.

• Like 1

The narrative is funny on Dwight.  He gets blasted for not being the superstar caliber player that he was 8 years ago, despite still being a top 50 player by just about every advanced metric used to measure players.   As JayBird notes, the narrative is that the stats ( which is PER ) have no intrinsic value to winning . . . despite those exact stats being used to justify the value of every other player in this league.

Could it possibly be that Dwight was playing with below average talent, despite Dwight doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing?  That was the case in Atlanta.  He was brought here, not to be a star player, but to be a guy who could serve as a defensive deterrent and dominate on the boards.

The same goes for Charlotte, in which he arguably had a better year there, than he had here.   Yet, his teammates supposedly hated him in Charlotte?  Honestly, teammates hating you doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be a losing squad.  People didn't like Kobe either, and his teams were successful.   Dwight is not Kobe . . . but he isn't Mike Muscala either.

I don't necessarily like the guy's personality.  But he does exactly what he's supposed to do.

If Dwight played defense, rebounded, finished lobs, set screens, didn't disrupt team chemistry, and made $10 million less then he would be valued around the league. As it stands, again, he has negative value. You have to take back a Plumlee or a Mozgov if you want to get rid of him. But I guess you guys are going to stick to your guns no matter what. It'll be something else when Brooklyn no longer wants anything to do with him. Assuming they don't just buy him out before he has a chance to become a problem. 

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Except he doesn't.

I don't disagree with you often, but the numbers speak for themselves

20th in NBA efficiency

https://stats.nba.com/leaders/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&StatCategory=EFF

33rd in ESPN's rating

http://www.espn.com/nba/seasonleaders/_/league/nba

2nd on the Hornets in "Simple Rating" behind Kemba

http://www.82games.com/1718/1718CHA.HTM

But once again, the narrative is that what Dwight gives a team doesn't contribute to winning.  He plays his role exactly right, but others around him tend to suck.  Baze did 2 seasons ago.  Batum did last season with Charlotte.

All Dwight did, was put up 16 pts - 12 rebs - 1.6 blocks . . . and people still act like he was a scrub that contributed little toward winning.

At some point, people have to give the guy a fair shake.  He's not the superstar he was, or maybe think he is in his mind.  But he's still a very productive player for his role.

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Dwight's history

- Gone from Orlando . . . . Magic went into tank mode, and haven't been back to the playoffs ( 5 years ) . . .

- Gone from LA Lakers . . . Lakers went into tank mode, haven't been back to the playoffs ( 4 years ) . . .

• PER rank on team in final year:  2nd  

- Gone from Houston . . . . Rockets add Chris Paul, made WCF Finals . . . but also made the WCF with Dwight

• PER rank on team in final year:  3rd - ( the much maligned Michael Beasley, in limited minutes, was 2nd )

- Gone from Atlanta . . . . . Hawks went into tank mode, and haven't been back to the playoffs ( 1 year )

- Gone from Charlotte . . . TBD

• PER rank on team in final year:  3rd - ( 0.1 behind Kemba Walker . . Willy Hernangomez in limited minutes, was 1st )

But hey, knock all of yourselves out, thinking he was the major problem with those teams.  And funny that all of the teammates that supposedly hated him, were either worse players than he was, or not even on those respective teams at this moment.

Still keeping the faith in Dwight...lol

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But he's still a very productive player for his role.

We won't ever agree on Dwight, he had his chance with me here in Atlanta.

He doesn't think he's a role player. He still wants to post up and hold the ball disrupting the entirety of the offensive flow. 

He may block shots but the rest of his defense is putrid.... he can't/won't set a decent screen because he's searching for rebounds, he won't step out on the PnR which leads to tons of wide open freethrow line shots, it's like a layup drill.

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We won't ever agree on Dwight, he had his chance with me here in Atlanta.

He doesn't think he's a role player. He still wants to post up and hold the ball disrupting the entirety of the offensive flow. 

He may block shots but the rest of his defense is putrid.... he can't/won't set a decent screen because he's searching for rebounds, he won't step out on the PnR which leads to tons of wide open freethrow line shots, it's like a layup drill.

His stats and efficiency indicate that he shouldn't be a role player.  Maybe not a "go-to" player, but definitely not a "role player".

If teams are better without Dwight, why did most of the teams he was on, go into tank mode almost immediately after he left?   

They cut out the "cancer", and still died of pneumonia, because that's what was really making them sick.

Ya'll can have the last words about Dwight.  It'll be interesting to see his effect on a young Brooklyn team.   Will the improve, but still not make the playoffs?  Or will they be a worse team?

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

His stats and efficiency indicate that he shouldn't be a role player.  Maybe not a "go-to" player, but definitely not a "role player".

If teams are better without Dwight, why did most of the teams he was on, go into tank mode almost immediately after he left?   

They cut out the "cancer", and still died of pneumonia, because that's what was really making them sick.

Ya'll can have the last words about Dwight.  It'll be interesting to see his effect on a young Brooklyn team.   Will the improve, but still not make the playoffs?  Or will they be a worse team?

I guess I coukd ask Why'd the teams he join have worse records after he joined. Atlanta, less wins, Charlotte less wins.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guess I coukd ask Why'd the teams he join have worse records after he joined. Atlanta, less wins, Charlotte less wins.

Image result for nicolas batum my team cardImage result for marvin williams my team card

Image result for malcolm delaney my team cardImage result for thabo sefolosha my team cardImage result for kent bazemore my team card

Thabo was hurt though.  They were actually decent when he first went out in January.  ( 27 - 20 ).  When he came back though, he wasn't right.  Then he got hurt again.