• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Trade Ideas!

JayBirdHawk

Just now, JeffS17 said:

I don't mind the Warriors but they have nothing available on that roster that I want.  IMO we should wait until the offseason if we want to make any big moves unless there are some serious overpay offers coming our way.

Yup standing pat is the way to go. Unload Bruno for a bag of Fritos though.

7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Now Brogdon is a player that we could really use. If we could get Brogdon, we would probably trade Bogi. Same age, but Malcolm is better. But he does has an extensive injury history, so that does give you pause.

They want a lot. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

The Spurs have 'made it clear' that DeMar DeRozan is available via trade, per

The rest of the league responded:  You guys already sent LA home for the rest of the season.  Now you tell me your high priced vet wing who is an abysmal defender is available?  

raw

• Haha 1

03/25/2021 is the NBA trade deadline.  What time on that date does it end?  Hawks will still be on their west bank of the USA trip.  

There's a ton of smoke blowing all around.  There is a small fire breaking out here and there.  As time grows short, expect those gentle winds to pick up, fanning the small flames with new life.

Will we or will we not?  Personally, a small move by the Hawks is all I expect.  But some of those NBA teams may really go all out.  Can we just have one more win before then, please!

:sun:

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

03/25/2021 is the NBA trade deadline.  What time on that date does it end?  Hawks will still be on their west bank of the USA trip.  

There's a ton of smoke blowing all around.  There is a small fire breaking out here and there.  As time grows short, expect those gentle winds to pick up, fanning the small flames with new life.

Will we or will we not?  Personally, a small move by the Hawks is all I expect.  But some of those NBA teams may really go all out.  Can we just have one more win before then, please!

:sun:

3 PM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://theathletic.com/2472361/2021/03/24/atlanta-hawks-trade-deadline-how-to-handle-decisions-on-john-collins-cam-reddish-and-more?source=user-shared-article

This is a really good article here. Danny Leroux seems to actually know what he's talking about. There is a lot more in the article than what I've pasted, give it a look. 

-- If the front office wants to keep this group together, the biggest change is ideally getting healthier. The Hawks’ disappointing 105.8 offensive rating when Young is off the floor not counting garbage time is a problem, and Rajon Rondo has not lived up to his contract when not battling injury, so that looks to be a priority. The rest of the perimeter rotation will look better now that Hunter has returned, and the only other potential area for improvement would be at backup center, but getting lottery pick Onyeka Okongwu minutes is worth a slight downgrade on the floor since rookies are negative players as they adapt to the NBA.

-- If Schlenk wanted my input, I would say Collins is an intriguing player with room to continue growing defensively, but offense-first power forwards are typically more useful raising their teams’ floors than really elevating their ceilings. Unless ownership is willing to eventually pay the luxury tax (and that likely requires being in title contention, which is very ambitious with this group), owing Collins $20 million to $25 million per season creates more problems than it solves, especially if he does not live up to those terms. Taking a step back would be a bitter pill to swallow, particularly after this hot stretch, but building right is a difficult and painful process.

-- I am less enamored with Ball’s fit in Atlanta for a basic reason: The Hawks should be looking for a very specific fit next to Young, and Ball checks some boxes but not all of them. Young’s defensive limitations mean Atlanta should be looking for someone who can defend lead guards in pick-and-roll situations, and that has not been a Ball specialty even if he has nice positional size. Notably, Ball’s growth in catch-and-shoot situations has made the offensive fit much better as he is hitting a strong 41 percent of those opportunities after draining 39 percent of them last season. His limitations creating separation would matter less playing alongside Young, and having someone who can also initiate full-time or part-time when Young is off the floor would be very useful. Still, finding someone who fits that offensive description but can also defend primary guards would be a much better use of resources unless the asking price is shockingly low.

-- Reddish -- To make it as a starter, the 21-year old will have to capably defend his position — and ideally, multiple positions — while also being defended as a low-usage offensive wing. He has the tools to get there on both ends of the floor but needs to get stronger and develop the tools necessary to cover different types of threats. That likely involves navigating off-ball screens when trailing shooters, especially since I prefer him in those assignments to slowing down pick-and-roll threats.

-- With all that in mind, moving Reddish is a reasonable determination based on what we have seen, but is only wise if the front office feels he will not grow into a starter over the next few seasons because wings are exceedingly scarce around the league. A Ball-for-Reddish framework makes some sense for both teams but also creates new gaps for both franchises, and Ball’s impending restricted free agency means he will get a big raise, complicating the Hawks’ books as we discussed before.

-- The Celtic of note for me would be Marcus Smart, as he is one of the league’s best point-of-attack defenders and having someone who battles through screens makes a ton of sense next to Young.

-- My general threshold for title contention is being elite on one end of the floor and at least above-average on the other, and that is a challenging combination to accomplish for 48 minutes. We still have not seen if Young’s offensive game will work as well in the postseason, and generally, foul drawing drops as refs use their whistles less and defenders are both better and more engaged. Either way, the Hawks will need to have a secondary creator they trust, who may be on the roster already, and reliable point guard play when Young is on the bench. It is possible but not likely they hit the offensive threshold just because that is asking so much of anyone at the highest levels when they have not proven it yet.

The good news is that the defensive threshold seems attainable. While there is some serious opposing shooting luck that will tone down the numbers over time, Atlanta has defended pretty well with Capela on the court, and the Hawks should have better defensive talent as players get healthy and their young core improves with more experience. That said, getting better than very good is challenging for every team, and any misstep from the offense raises the defensive bar, likely to elite, and that is really tough.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it's selling JC short as the heart and soul of this team.   Yeah someone could step into that role with him gone but we would most certainly take a big step backward.  

I'm not sold on Smart being that great outside of Boston but i don't know.  

If ever there was a season to stand pat this is it.   Playing well, getting healthy, good chemistry.   Our expectation was playoffs and now we've kind of raised it but we have to be realistic.   There isn't a deal out there that's going to make us a contender this season.

Back to JC, there is plenty of room to sign him to a big deal.   We can't not sign him because we don't want to pay what he's worth.   If they don't think he's worth it that's a different argument.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

At the risk of merely echoing others who've said similar...

Hawks are now at that place where the vast majority of their improvement will come from the maturity of their current young colts into full-grown... and as importantly... healthy... horses.

Schlenk's decision to spend virtually all of the available cap space last off-season pretty much set that in-place.

There are no anticipated high draft picks.

There is no anticipated new cap room to any significant degree.

And trades, by their nature, are ordinarily not lopsided such that one should expect to get a lot for a little. Rather, trades are normally less about increasing the talent level on the roster, more about readjusting/rebalancing the talent so that where one might have an abundance of talent at one position and a deficit of talent at another, that deficit is remedied so that more on-floor minutes are invested/covered by a stronger stable of horses.

Consciously selling low in any given trade is a form of slow-drip cyanide, given that circumstance, particularly to the degree that a given player was expected to be getting major minutes when he was acquired.

Yes, there's something to be said for cutting one's losses, but this is waaaaaaaaaay too early in the process to be talking about any of Schlenk's acquisitions in that light.

The only exception to that would be players on expiring contracts, and to the degree that opportunity would emerge... as said above... to rebalance the roster. That primarily means that Goodwin is a legitimate candidate to be cut, and that Snell is a legitimate candidate to be traded. And the lone significant deficit in the roster is the lack of a vet big, preferably one whose FT% is so good that he can consume end-of-game minutes to avoid the hack-a-Capela treatment.

So why are we spending so much time discussing Ball or Oladipo or Ross or Powell? Is there fire over the ridge where that smoke is coming from... or is it rather just fog and mist from a river being misinterpreted? Can't pretend to know. But the only way any of that makes any sense from where I sit is that all of those are considered stronger defenders than Huerter is. So, conceivably, there could be some desire to rebalance the roster at that specific spot. The investment in Huerter, after all, isn't that significant, and he's on the cusp of getting paid... and it's sounding like there are suitors out there calling Schlenk about him.

So, my conjecture is that if we do anything it will involve one or more of those three (Huerter... Snell... Goodwin).

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, sturt said:

At the risk of merely echoing others who've said similar...

Hawks are now at that place where the vast majority of their improvement will come from the maturity of their current young colts into full-grown... and as importantly... healthy... horses.

Schlenk's decision to spend virtually all of the available cap space last off-season pretty much set that in-place.

There are no anticipated high draft picks.

There is no anticipated new cap room to any significant degree.

And trades, by their nature, are ordinarily not lopsided such that one should expect to get a lot for a little. Rather, trades are normally less about increasing the talent level on the roster, more about readjusting/rebalancing the talent so that where one might have an abundance of talent at one position and a deficit of talent at another, that deficit is remedied so that more on-floor minutes are invested/covered by a stronger stable of horses.

Consciously selling low in any given trade is a form of slow-drip cyanide, given that circumstance, particularly to the degree that a given player was expected to be getting major minutes when he was acquired.

Yes, there's something to be said for cutting one's losses, but this is waaaaaaaaaay too early in the process to be talking about any of Schlenk's acquisitions in that light.

The only exception to that would be players on expiring contracts, and to the degree that opportunity would emerge... as said above... to rebalance the roster. That primarily means that Goodwin is a legitimate candidate to be cut, and that Snell is a legitimate candidate to be traded. And the lone significant deficit in the roster is the lack of a vet big, preferably one whose FT% is so good that he can consume end-of-game minutes to avoid the hack-a-Capela treatment.

So why are we spending so much time discussing Ball or Oladipo or Ross or Powell... or Brogdon? Is there fire over the ridge where that smoke is coming from... or is it rather just fog and mist from a river being misinterpreted? Can't pretend to know. But the only way any of that makes any sense from where I sit is that all of those are considered stronger defenders than Huerter is. So, conceivably, there could be some desire to rebalance the roster at that specific spot. The investment in Huerter, after all, isn't that significant, and he's on the cusp of getting paid... and it's sounding like there are suitors out there calling Schlenk about him.

So, my conjecture is that if we do anything it will involve one or more of those three (Huerter... Snell... Goodwin).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really wonder what we have.  He hasn't been on the floor yet as a Hawk.  Kris Dunn, listed as a PG, 26 years old and 6'3" - 205lbs.

Is he our missing piece?  Sports writers continue to say that the Hawks need a back up PG to play while Trae sits.  Also, hopefully, he can play some defense.  KD is traveling with the team and we are told that he's coming along nicely and they hope to, maybe, play him before we get back to Atlanta.

But, sell and trade.  Trade deadline tomorrow @ 3 PM.  If things go as planned, the Atlanta Hawks will be getting a new player and they don't have to do anything at all.  Lose no one.  Out no $$$.

One more game before the deadline!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

😃

30 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

The problem with Dunn is he's almost all defence

an no health. 

Let's see what we actually have once he heals.  Obviously, in Chicago, his offense was poor, but if he can provide point defense, that is something this team sorely needs. 

• Like 1