• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-21 The Current Ask Supes

Gray Mule

33 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While this isn't confirmed, some kid from either Reddit or RealGM said a scout for Atlanta told him Lillard is done with Portland.

hmm interesting... If that is the case, I think the Knicks might try to go all in to get him. They have some decent assets. Whether Portland would want to rebuild or not would be a whole different issue. 

Edited by HawksNWaffles

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While this isn't confirmed, some kid from either Reddit or RealGM said a scout for Atlanta told him Lillard is done with Portland.

Lillard leaving Portland will ruin his legacy, or at least the legacy he's personally crafted for himself.  The dude has spent YEARS telling everyone how loyal he is to the city, how much he loves it there, and making unsolicited comments about superteams, etc. and how that's not for him.  Also, I don't see him leaving and winning a ring (although it's possible) which would also not be great.

Edited by JeffS17
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Lillard leaving Portland will ruin his legacy, or at least the legacy he's personally crafted for himself.  The dude has spent YEARS telling everyone how loyal he is to the city, how much he loves it there, and making unsolicited comments about superteams, etc. and how that's not for him.  Also, I don't see him leaving and winning a ring (although it's possible) which would also not be great.

Ohhhh, better keep up.  Everybody's wondering why he put out his support for Kidd.  Well, now he can say he went to the organization for help and they refused.

That's all he needs to change the narrative from "Lilllllard left" to "how come POR didn't build a team for Lilllllard".

The media game is slick, Jeffy.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Saw this earlier from a Philly Fan - reads like a wishlist but whatever;

Staying at a nice hotel in Philly, and was headed to the gym, when out of nowhere Trae Young and John Collins rounded the corner into the same hallway I was walking in. 

First impression: 

1. Trae is a cool kid, taller than I thought. 
2. I congratulated him on a great game, and told him to stop shooting from 35 feet out, no one can defend that. 
3. Also told him that we’re going to win this series in 6 games
4.Said he should explore and pursue every possibility of teaming up with Embiid next season.
5.And that hack-a-ben isn’t fair, cause he can’t shoot. 

He laughed, and said: “Can’t do that my man, I’m here to win, that’s all. Ben gotta step up. We winnin’ in 5 games and we took home court. Playing with Embiid would be lit.”

John Collins was with him, laughing and bragging about his game sealing alley-oop.

Around the corner was Clint Cappela, who I wasn’t in the mood to joke around with. I told Clint, “Embiid is gonna foul you out the next (2) games. Get ready for the bench.”

I also had a great conversation with the lead scout of the Hawks. We spoke about how the Hawks acquired Lou Williams, Capella, etc for loose change, capital wise. 

He mentioned something very interesting. Said Dame is leaving Portland, and my eyes lit up. Have always wanted to pair Dame and Embiid together. 

After dinner I I spoke with Coach McMillan. I implored him not to implement the hack-a-ben strategy, that it wasn’t good for the game. I also congratulated him on a great job coaching the Hawks. Then told him we’re winning in 6. 

I’m here at the same hotel they’re staying at till Tuesday (game day), will add to this post with more inevitable convos.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member

I believe that he may leave Portland.   NYKs really want him but there's nothing there to really work with.  They would have to put together a superteam and Randle ain't it. I can see him looking at Miami. 

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Dame should leave portland honestly.   I don't want him to but they've done a terrible job.  

I thought Trent Jr. for Powell was a move they'd regret. Who thought they were in a position to make championship-aspiring moves? 

4 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Lillard's legacy is making a bunch of big shots, but also getting bounced in the 1st round in 5 of the last 8 years.  People won't hold it against him if he wants out of Portland.  The days of a player staying with a franchise his entire career, especially if they don't have a lot of playoff success, are pretty much over.

The duo of Dame and CJ are not going to get you to the NBA Finals, because both players aren't even average defensively.  They're a lot of fun to watch, but you know they're not going to do much.  So in my opinion, you have to trade one or the other. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Lillard's legacy is making a bunch of big shots, but also getting bounced in the 1st round in 5 of the last 8 years.  People won't hold it against him if he wants out of Portland.  The days of a player staying with a franchise his entire career, especially if they don't have a lot of playoff success, are pretty much over.

The duo of Dame and CJ are not going to get you to the NBA Finals, because both players aren't even average defensively.  They're a lot of fun to watch, but you know they're not going to do much.  So in my opinion, you have to trade one or the other. 

I hear you but there are 50 interviews of dame claiming he will stay in portland forever, 50 more of him saying teaming up with other stars isnt for him, trashing superteams, etc. etc.  He has gone miles beyond the normal "I'd love to continue playing for X franchise".  Hes even mentioned how ging elsewhere is the easy way out and how he's okay if he never wins a chip, and so on.  He probably has hours of footage on this.  Him requesting a trade would be much different than a guy like AD trying to get traded.  He would be shifting his entire persona and trying to rationalize the dissonance

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You won't be advocating for this when it is Trae. Lillard should stay where he is at. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You won't be advocating for this when it is Trae. Lillard should stay where he is at. 

It won't be Trae because we've put together a better roster around him than Portland has been able to do for Lillard. Years of bad contracts to players like Crabbe and Turner have wasted the potential they had.

14 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

It won't be Trae because we've put together a better roster around him than Portland has been able to do for Lillard. Years of bad contracts to players like Crabbe and Turner have wasted the potential they had.

They put together a roster that went to the western conference finals.  I'm not an advocate of a super star leaving small markets.  Portland has done plenty to try and upgrade their roster. They've had terrible injury luck. 

15 minutes ago, marco102 said:

They put together a roster that went to the western conference finals.  I'm not an advocate of a super star leaving small markets.  Portland has done plenty to try and upgrade their roster. They've had terrible injury luck. 

All I know is they do not have a roster that should be seen as serious contender and never have. McCollum + assets can probably help them acquire the next disgruntled star, at the end of the day would it be enough to get a championship. Dame has given them 9 years, if he plays out his contract and leaves for a better chance somewhere else I couldn't fault him. Just because you're a small market team doesn't give you an entitlement to any player. Build a winning team around them or watch someone else try to do it.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

All I know is they do not have a roster that should be seen as serious contender and never have. McCollum + assets can probably help them acquire the next disgruntled star, at the end of the day would it be enough to get a championship. Dame has given them 9 years, if he plays out his contract and leaves for a better chance somewhere else I couldn't fault him. Just because you're a small market team doesn't give you an entitlement to any player. Build a winning team around them or watch someone else try to do it.

I take no issue with players deciding to play elsewhere. What I don't like are the ones that sign their big contracts then demanding trades. If a player is coming to the end of his contract and tells the team he's not resigning cool, if a guy is a FA and opts not to resign cool.

Dame's issue now is his 'loyalty and superteam speeches' - he should have just left well alone. You just never know when it's gonna be your turn. You know glass houses and stones!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

They have a winning team. Only one team wins a championship. Again, you will feel differently if this is Trae Young you are advocating leave because the team just isn't quite good enough to compete with super teams. Put yourself in those Portland fans shoes is all im saying. It is easy to throw rocks at a glass house that is not yours.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I take no issue with players deciding to play elsewhere. What I don't like are the ones that sign their big contracts then demanding trades. If a player is coming to the end of his contract and tells the team he's not resigning cool, if a guy is a FA and opts not to resign cool.

Dame's issue now is his 'loyalty and superteam speeches' - he should have just left well alone. You just never know when it's gonna be your turn. You know glass houses and stones!

Even better point.

• Like 2

Just now, marco102 said:

They have a winning team. Only one team wins a championship. Again, you will feel differently if this is Trae Young you are advocating leave because the team just isn't quite good enough to compete with super teams. Put yourself in those Portland fans shoes is all im saying. It is easy to throw rocks at a glass house that is not yours.

I'm of the opinion that if you've exhausted all your options, you should blow a team up sooner rather than later. Toronto may be clear evidence against my line of thinking, but most teams waste time holding onto players who are never going to win anything. Either you're building towards something or your wasting everyone's time. Portland might feel differently, but unless they get another star level player in the draft, they'll never win with Dame. If Dame comes to a similar conclusion, he should go. If in 5 years we've won nothing and Trae feels like things won't change,  I'll probably want to move on too. Rebuilding while painful is better when at least you do it on your terms.

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I see your point and him demanding a trade would be hypocritical. But it's his career and ultimately he has to do what's in his interest. I don't think teams can really truly demand loyalty out of players unless they give them the right to veto trades. The fans don't have to like him, but that's our problem.