• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Definitive Trae Young Write Up--Maybe the best that has been written on him so far

Wurider05

26 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

Dammit WURD, I rushed over here to post this. Still, very happy about it. Here comes the recognition.....

• Haha 1

After reading this excellent article,  one can simplify it by saying swap Luka and Trae on their respective teams last year and Trae may have likely surpassed all Luka did.

And Luka may have won fewer games with the Hawks than Trae did.

I'm happy with the trade, especially after Cam's progression makes it a slam dunk.

• Premium Member

Good read. The data confirms what I already knew.  Of course I'm biased, but I honestly didn't see enough of a difference between Trae and "the other guy" last season to make me regret the trade.  The writer of that paper was more gracious than I was about rebounding stats being inflated last season. I wasn't a fan of it when OKC (Westbrook) was doing it and I wasn't a fan of it last season when I saw an entire team clearing out for one guy to get an uncontested rebound. I hate artificially inflated stats and feel like it cheapens the triple double. I'm much more impressed when it's within the natural flow of the game.  I felt like the whole defensive liability narrative was a bit overblown as well. Why does Trae get stuck with that label while guys like Lillard, Harden, and Curry get a pass? Trae's only been bad for two seasons, those guys have been bad their whole careers. :laugh:

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Well, I started reading - then realized it was 42 pages...but I couldn't stop:hehe:.  This has to be someone's Thesis, well done! It covers what we have all discussed here at some point or another to varying degrees...seeing it in one document confirmed what we have all thought with the cool graphs. :good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I saw this on Reddit. Lukastans negged the shit outta me. 

I didn't read the article, but sure read the comments on Reddit.  The Lukastans were out in full force.  You can argue that Luka is a better player. No qualms to me, but to say Luka's lightyears of Trae on the offensive end, is just whack.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

One thing that gets missed is Trae has been playing for a Hawks team that has been structured to lose games and get picks.  Winning was not the goal and the coaching, schemes, and personnel reflected that.  Almost all stats (barring free throws) are team dependent, to different extents.  Assists are obvious but efficiency is affected by your team as well, as is your "individual" defensive stats, etc.  I expect a lot of our guys to look really good this year just from having elevated teammates.

7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

1 flaw in the article is he continue to state that the starting line up included 2 rookies and 2 second year players which isn't true.

Below are the games started for 1st and 2nd years players (+Collins and Jones because he's a scrub).

Including Trae, 218 game starts by 1st and 2nd year players and another 68 by Collins and Jones for 286 out of a possible 335 game starts.

Rk   Age GS
1 De'Andre Hunter 22 62
2 Trae Young 21 60
3 Kevin Huerter 21 48
4 John Collins 22 41
5 Cam Reddish 20 34
6 Damian Jones 24 27
8 Bruno Fernando 21 13
14 Brandon Goodwin 24 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1