• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hornets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

14 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

The problem is that these are injury prone players and so expecting them to stay in the lineup is probably not a great idea.

This is true. We just have to hope that they're healthy at the end of the year, and that the Hawks are a top 6 seed.  Too early to say either way right now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I normally agree with you about Trae, but he needs to run the damn offense.  Off the dribble 30 ft threes ain't it when you are up five.  He can get to the basket and get to his midrange. I'm fine with him scoring, but he better be getting the ball to the hot players too.

Wasted a great Kevin and JC game. 

At least Nate learned and got JC involved this game. 

And this isn't me completely blaming Trae for the loss. He's out there on a bummed knee playing pretty well all things considered, but he's the best player so my expectations are much higher for him when it comes to closing games.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

TLC is playing good defense. I think Trae needs to be better/smarter. There are so many Trae breakdowns in the game. Huerter has also been disappointing on that end this year. Being shorthanded definitely is having a big impact, but even with that we can and should be better. 

TLC is a MAJOR upgrade over Solo, so no problem with him. 

Trae's decision making on defense needs to be better.  Nique and Vince correctly pointed out about knowing the personnel on the floor.  There are certain guys that you shouldn't leave open, even if a guy is driving down the lane.

Huerter's man defense is OK.  But he has that same lack of awareness at times about who to help on, and who to leave.

These are the things that De'Andre and Cam are good at.  Plus they're good man defenders.

Considering that both JJ and Sharife have defensive backgrounds in their game, I think Nate is really making a mistake by not bringing them up while our top defenders are out.  

• Like 1

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

TLC is a MAJOR upgrade over Solo, so no problem with him. 

Trae's decision making on defense needs to be better.  Nique and Vince correctly pointed out about knowing the personnel on the floor.  There are certain guys that you shouldn't leave open, even if a guy is driving down the lane.

Huerter's man defense is OK.  But he has that same lack of awareness at times about who to help on, and who to leave.

These are the things that De'Andre and Cam are good at.  Plus they're good man defenders.

Considering that both JJ and Sharife have defensive backgrounds in their game, I think Nate is really making a mistake by not bringing them up while our top defenders are out.  

JJ has looked completely loss on defense in the G league and the few minutes he's played during the regular season.  His man to man is pretty decent, but team defense is lacking a ton. 

Teams that can draw Capela out of the lane tend to torch us because the game plan is to funnel everything to him instead of playing good aggressive perimeter defense.  We don't really cause turnovers or anything. I'm not questioning Nate's game plan on defense though because we are without our better perimeter defenders. 

TLC has been a pleasant surprise for me.  He had a very solid game.  Cam didn't look to sick when the Cam on him so hopefully he can play tomorrow with Solo being out.

Maybe give Jalen some run with it being a back to back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

VC making all kinds of sense. Let Ish smith beat you. Not sure why Gallo is in the game right now we needed the defense.

What did I say..lol. I knew ish Oubre or somebody would look great against us... Thats what we do....smdh

44 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

This team is a joke.

This.......As we've been saying...No team in NBA history has ever won anything of signifigance with a 6'0 ball dominant pg as its best player..And I dont think the Hawks will either...Especially with a punk ass center like Capela manning the middle..

Edited by terrell

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I normally agree with you about Trae, but he needs to run the damn offense.  Off the dribble 30 ft threes ain't it when you are up five.  He can get to the basket and get to his midrange. I'm fine with him scoring, but he better be getting the ball to the hot players too.

Wasted a great Kevin and JC game. 

At least Nate learned and got JC involved this game. 

Ya'll get too emotional about the 30 footers.  I used to be like that. 

But not only can he make the shot, it sometimes turns out being a better play than forcing the ball inside.

Long rebounds off of 3 pointers are some of the easiest rebounds an offensive team can get. 

I personally thought he passed up a chance for the long 3 when we initially went down by 4 with about 1:30 to go.  He was wide open to take the shot.  That would DEFINITELY be a hero type shot.

Instead, he decided to make the safer play, and hit a streaking Collins driving to the basket.  Unfortunately, Collins gets rejected at the rim and the Hornets come back the other way and score 2 points to go up 6.  Trae made the "right" decision to give it up.  But you're also taking the ball out of the hands of your most dynamic offensive player. 

He was 2 - 4 on shots 30+ feet tonight.  That's his game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Stop the cap, as ya'll would say.

You know good and well that the Hawks having their 2 best wing defenders does make a difference.

We're also missing our top sniper in Bogi.  You can't have everybody out, and expect the Hawks to be an elite team with their top 3 wings out and about 35 points in scoring.

This team just ran off 7 straight wins, before this week, and before both Cam and Bogi went down in the same game.

OK . . who is asleep at the controls at Ballys?  WTF?

We didnt play anybody.. We stink vs good teams...And I've never said that in my life.. So I dont know who y'all is.....We still had over 400 million $ worth of players on the floor..No excuses...

Edited by terrell

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Ya'll get too emotional about the 30 footers.  I used to be like that. 

But not only can he make the shot, it sometimes turns out being a better play than forcing the ball inside.

Long rebounds off of 3 pointers are some of the easiest rebounds an offensive team can get. 

I personally thought he passed up a chance for the long 3 when we initially went down by 4 with about 1:30 to go.  He was wide open to take the shot.  That would DEFINITELY be a hero type shot.

Instead, he decided to make the safer play, and hit a streaking Collins driving to the basket.  Unfortunately, Collins gets rejected at the rim and the Hornets come back the other way and score 2 points to go up 6.  Trae made the "right" decision to give it up.  But you're also taking the ball out of the hands of your most dynamic offensive player. 

He was 2 - 4 on shots 30+ feet tonight.  That's his game.

Time and situation.  Again, if he is set to take the thirty I'm all for it, but we just ran the pick and roll with John two times. Keep runnin what's working until they stop it.  Then take the thirty footers.  I don't mind them, just there's a smarter play out there. 

I know he makes them, but those long rebounds are also easy points for the other teams on fast breaks because Trae's the only one back on defense. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

31 from JC, 28 from Kevin, and 17 from Gallo and we still lose. That's insane. 

Cant stop anybody..If Capela keeps playing like this, we have no chance with Trae and Kev on the perimeter...Its a layup line...

Edited by terrell

37 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yup, a young superstar who's still learning the game.

You dont just learn how to stop turning the ball over. or taking dumb shots....Its who he is...He likes to entertain..And loves the highlight plays....To a fault...

Edited by terrell

26 minutes ago, terrell said:

This.......As we've been saying...No team in NBA history has ever won anything of signifigance with a 6'0 ball dominant pg as its best player..And I dont think the Hawks will either...Especially with a punk ass center like Capela manning the middle..

IT and the 80s Pistons. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Alright, so a ton of negativity in here after a close loss, I'll add some positive notes to this game:

• We're seeing what JC can do with more touches, and it's looking quite good
  • TLC is finding a rhythm with the team and offense, and he's a decent defender
  • Kevin looks good, got called for a lot of ticky tacky fouls tonight but played well
  • Capela had 8 points and missed some easy put backs but his impact on defense is invaluable to this team.  There's a reason he was still +4 on a night where this forum is trashing him
  • The 3 guys on our roster that matchup the best against this Hornets roster are all out right now: Reddish, Hunter, and OO.  OO is going to give us immense flexibility when we play against smaller lineups

Lastly, the Hornets shot really well tonight.  Partly because of our defense but partly because that team has more offensive talent than almost any other team in the NBA.  I'm not worried about this loss and I'm not worried about the season.  On to the next one

• Like 2

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, terrell said:

The Pistons won two titles and got robbed of a third title with Thomas as their best player. Tiny Archibald was the starting PG of the 1981 Celtics that won a title, Bird's first. You can win with a smaller point but these 30 foot shots need to stop. I absolutely hate them. It is the only thing Trae does that I can't stand on the court. If he only did it like twice a game to make the defense honor his range and play up on him, fine, I can live with it.

But when he's hoisting up those shots at the start of a possession it is just a killer.

17 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

IT and the 80s Pistons. 

IT was the 2nd/3rd option on those championship teams...

He just ran the offense..

He had 2 closers to go to in Dumars and Vinnie Johnson.

He also had 3 enforcers in Mahorn, Rodman, and Lambieer

Hawks have a bunch of softies...

They better make a lot of changes to the roster if they want to mimc that squad....

Edited by terrell