Official Game Thread: Hornets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Trae is 6'1".   What's your point?  Steph is also good on Ball.   His Usage rate matches Traes during his championship years.. so again.. What's your point?

Steph had a closer. in Durant..Thats my point...And Steph and Traes game is nothing alike besides the deep 3's..Trae cant play off ball...Hopefully he gets better but hes never had to do it.. Steph was doing it in AAU...

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Steph had a closer. in Durant..Thats my point...And Steph and Traes game is nothing alike besides the deep 3's..Trae cant play off ball...Hopefully he gets better but hes never had to do it.. Steph was doing it in AAU...

He won a championship before Durant got there. 

As I said in another post, Trae is closer to Stockton than he is to Steph in style of play. 

• Like 1

Just now, Diesel said:

As I said in another post, Trae is closer to Stockton than he is to Steph in style of play. 

Trae is more like a Nash-Iverson hybrid imo..But smaller...Iverson had long arms and Nash was taller...

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Just win tonight and avoid going below .500.. Is that too much to ask vs the TWolves?

On the 2nd night of a back to back, we are winless so far this season.

Depth is already a concern. Now wear and tear becomes a factor.

Plus the TWolves are a lot tougher than some may think. They have already beaten some better teams than the Hawks this season. 

We may get our feelings hurt tonight the way we been playing.

Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

On the 2nd night of a back to back, we are winless so far this season.

Depth is already a concern. Now wear and tear becomes a factor.

Plus the TWolves are a lot tougher than some may think. They have already beaten some better teams than the Hawks this season. 

We may get our feelings hurt tonight the way we been playing.

We're 1-4 actually.. We beat Orlando..But yeah..

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, AHF said:

Trae is on his way to being a great player too.  Nobody took more shots than JC yesterday FWIW.  Hopefully Nate will emphasize that Trae/JC action for the rest of the season.  Right now, the Hawks don't have anyone who can create their own shot and be as good a scorer for their era as VJ, Dantley or Dumars were.  If you look at the Pistons replays, you'll see a lot of iso ball by all of them.  That was the nature of the era where it was easy to clear the floor due to the illegal defense rules.  It wasn't a team that was all about ball movement for the best shot (there are always examples of that but it wasn't the focus of the offense).

This^

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

There are times where Trae doesn't take the most shots down the stretch as well and the more we develop our guys so they can create shots the more we will see that happen.  JC is our best non-Trae scorer but he isn't someone who scores on his own very much in the way that Joe and Vinnie did.  I think we will always need Trae to score to be successful but there should be more games where he can take a back seat as our guys become more capable of carrying more of the offensive load.  We just aren't there yet.

....and this ^ - we just aren't there yet to have that consistent RELIABLE player opposite Trae.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Yeah with no Kyrie(of course) or Kevin Love..

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, terrell said:

Thats why he and Trae arent a good comparison imo..

And Trae has never made that comparison, it's always been more Nash. The talking heads and non-Hawk fans make that lazy comparison because of his 3s, but as mentioned above Trae is the more complete PG running the offense where Steph is a SG than can pass and is a master off ball, and his offball game is helped because he has guys looking for him off ball- unfortunately neither the offense or our current players is designed to make that happen easily for Trae.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Except Stockton was one of the best off ball defending guards in NBA history..He made All defensive Teams...He was great at playing the passing lanes and getting steals...Trae should watch his highlights...Trae has been better at times this season though. I give him that..

Edited by terrell

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

And Trae has never made that comparison, it's always been more Nash. The talking heads and non-Hawk fans make that lazy comparison because of his 3s, but as mentioned above Trae is the more complete PG running the offense where Steph is a SG than can pass and is a master off ball, and his offball game is helped because he has guys looking for him off ball- unfortunately neither the offense or our current players is designed to make that happen easily for Trae.

Yep...I hate the comparison....

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, terrell said:

Trae is more like a Nash-Iverson hybrid imo..But smaller...Iverson had long arms and Nash was taller...

Iverson never sniffed lead the league in assists.

neither Nash or Stockton put up the points that Trae puts up.  In fact, he's closer to Steph in that respect.

You reached for Nash because that's what the media feeds.   Nash Never came close to 20 ppg (that's why Shaq is mad).   Trae is about 30 ppg... how's that the same???  Iverson never came close to 8 apg..  Trae is about 10 apg.   How's that the same.  

The truth is you eat what the media feeds and they feed it because of Trae's difficulty on defense... They don't directly compare him to Steph because Steph is a 50/40/90 guy.. and Trae is not.

BUT.

You say Trae can't win?

They said the same about Curry...  because there was nobody who he "looked like" in the past. 

Trae is Unique and he can win.  But like Curry, he needs a team around him... and we're right there.. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, terrell said:

Except Stockton was one of the best off ball defending guards in NBA history..He made an All defensive Team...

I said that also.   He was the Historic Steals leader.    Go back and reread my original post. 

17 minutes ago, terrell said:

Except Stockton was one of the best off ball defending guards in NBA history..He made All defensive Teams...He was great at playing the passing lanes and getting steals...Trae should watch his highlights...Trae has been better at times this season though. I give him that..

Stockton has never gotten his due. One of the all time greats.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Iverson never sniffed lead the league in assists.

neither Nash or Stockton put up the points that Trae puts up.  In fact, he's closer to Steph in that respect.

You reached for Nash because that's what the media feeds.   Nash Never came close to 20 ppg (that's why Shaq is mad).   Trae is about 30 ppg... how's that the same???  Iverson never came close to 8 apg..  Trae is about 10 apg.   How's that the same.  

The truth is you eat what the media feeds and they feed it because of Trae's difficulty on defense... They don't directly compare him to Steph because Steph is a 50/40/90 guy.. and Trae is not.

BUT.

You say Trae can't win?

They said the same about Curry...  because there was nobody who he "looked like" in the past. 

Trae is Unique and he can win.  But like Curry, he needs a team around him... and we're right there.. 

That's why I said hybrid..Meaning a mix of both...And I reached for Nash? Trae himself said he grew up watching Steve Nash...And pattered his game after him........What are you talking about?

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, terrell said:

That's why I said hybrid..Meaning a mix of both...And I reached for Nash? Trae himself said he grew up watching Steve Nash...And pattered his game after him........What are you talking about?

Yeah.. I know the story about Trae and Nash.. But he doesn't play like Nash now does he...

Chris Webber grew up wanting to play like Nique....

Joakim Noah grew up wanting to play like KG....

That's just a starting point sir....  Right now, Trae is EONS farther than where Nash was in his MVP year.   Nash wishes that he had the scoring ability of Trae.   That's why you have to reach for a hybrid that starts with Iverson.

I guess if you mixed a unicorn and a rhino, you can get a dragon...

Point is Trae is Unique.  Much in the same way that Curry was Unique.   Just because he's Unique, it doesn't mean that he can't win...