• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pacers

lethalweapon3

I know.  Everyone keeps telling me.  The G League doesn't compare to the NBA.  Some would have me believe that it's better than high school but not as intense as college ball.

Some facts.  All three use the same size ball.  The goal is the same size and the same height.  All play on a level, wooden floor.

Jalen Johnson has played well with the Skyhawks.  Sharife Cooper is on a two way contract there and he has played well.  Cat Barber is a free agent with the Skyhawks and has shined this season.  His last game he scored 28 points with 14 assists.  A win.  

Maybe these players are not the assets that I believe them to be.  Yet, when we discuss what else the Hawks need, the answer seems to be there.  No, not the great second star that we all want.  Just the fringe players that are so necessary for the success of any team.  The ones that make up the 15 active roster.

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Lastly, I also see no reason to give the staff the benefit of the doubt on the rookie pg either.  Team has desperately needed a second point guard and, unless I see otherwise, it's seems like we have a possible option bolted onto the bench.

Something seems right with the world again... KG had been mirroring my takes for far too long... good to see you're coming out of left field again with something that makes me...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Sharife Cooper is on a two way contract there and he has played well.  Cat Barber is a free agent with the Skyhawks and has shined this season.  His last game he scored 28 points with 14 assists.  A win.  

Sharife has come-on just lately. Great to see.

Cat, otoh, has actually out-played Sharife if we look at the whole of his work.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, terrell said:

What is the Hawks' record over the past 2 seasons with and without Hunter?

44-34 not counting playoffs. 50-41 counting playoffs. 

Also a lot of the Ls this year (15-14 this year without Hunter) came during the Covid weeks. If we take out the games everyone was on the bench or at home we are like four games over five hundred this year without hunter. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Well, I have to be consistent in saying that I prefer continuity so I hope we don't have a regime change.

However, I must echo your sentiment after seeing Johnson play more.  There's not much discernable reason for why he hasn't played at all.  Collins' presence gives him the excuse of saying he wouldn't play ahead of him.  Fine but it's not either/or.  Duh, they can play together.  It just would take some creativity, which our staff sorely lacks.

It was an absolute joy seeing OO and Johnson out there out-athletin' dudes.  Just being active and tryna dunk anything not nailed down.  They made the Pacers look like a bunch-a teams make us look against active bigs.  We were all waiting on Redd/Hunter to be the fancy-smancy forward duo.  OO/Johnson may turn out to be the duo we didn't know we needed.

Hopefully the level of competence (and more than that) shown by Johnson forces his hand.  Sadly, I'm afraid once Collins and Gallo are 'back' they'll fall back into the same ol', lame ol' "rotations" that have netted our marginally .500 season.

Lastly, I also see no reason to give the staff the benefit of the doubt on the rookie pg either.  Team has desperately needed a second point guard and, unless I see otherwise, it's seems like we have a possible option bolted onto the bench.

I never like management stepping in to tell a player who to play but, at this point, he's forcing management's hand.

The minutes OO and JJ have both been on the floor the last couple of games (excluding the GS game JJ didn't play) have been like the Hawks best minutes. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Is it a poor offensive player or is it that he thinks poorly on offense?

He has the physique to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket most of the time.   However, he plays the Kev Settle for the three game and misses half of those shots.  Really when was the last time we had a game where Hunter was Hot from outside.  Really killing it from downtown.

Ok.. I stopped being lazy and I looked it up:

3 Pointers Made Nets on 11/03/21
3 Point Attempts v. Trail Blazers on 03/14/22

So the last time he was hot from 3... was like Our 10th game?  It was against the Nets.. and we lost that one.   Damn, he was 6 for 6 and shot 91% and scored 26 points.  Whatever happened to that guy??  back on the 14th of March though.. 3 for 9 from three.   Hunter should spend the summer with Tracey McGrady.. and learn how to score off the dribble and develop a first step.  He's got all the tools.. just no knowledge. 

Hunter has a slow lumbering release, his size allows him to get the shot off but he's never going to be a lights out shooter with that slow release. 

56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

ALL THIS^^^.

Sometimes we just needed a lift and some energy - just run the floor, jump higher etc.

Eggsactly.  It ain't gotta be perfect. Heyul, you think freaking DET beat us by skill?  Not necessarily, they plain out-worked us.  Gimme some-a that action, bawse.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Jalen Johnson:

2 games, 41 minutes, 11-17 (0-6 from 3) for 23 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 block

Kevin Knox:

13 games, 83 minutes, 7-28 (1-15 from 3) for 21 points, 17 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks

Every last minute of those 83 minutes should have gone to Jalen.

How could it objectively be argued?  Somebody tell me.  I made a weak argument for Knox over Jalen while I was still trying to give the iRobots the benefit of the doubt.  It took me 2 seconds of watching Knox slewfooted gait to back off that stance.  Who watched Knox and considered him a top 10 pick?  My goodness.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Not playing JJ all year has been one of the most ridiculous Hawks coaching fails ever. Hopefully Nate is shown the door. 1989 called, they want their coach back 

You weren’t around during Bob Weiss. Nate is great! Comparatively speaking of course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Something seems right with the world again... KG had been mirroring my takes for far too long... good to see you're coming out of left field again with something that makes me...

giphy.gif

I knew there was something off about him lately. I just chalked it up to him fkin with the feline. 🤷‍♀️ Hoping he returns soon, I’ve had it with this corporate fat cat attitude of his…

Oh yeaaa,

Go  Hawks!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I knew there was something off about him lately. I just chalked it up to him fkin with the feline. 🤷‍♀️ Hoping he returns soon, I’ve had it with this corporate fat cat attitude of his…

Oh yeaaa,

Go  Hawks!

Wait, what's going on here?  Have I gone a-stray?

Get it?  A stray (cat).  I'm here all week ... just don't slap me ... unless you're buying dinner first.

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Wait, what's going on here?  Have I gone a-stray?

Get it?  A stray (cat).  I'm here all week ... just don't slap me ... unless you're buying dinner first.

image.gif.017012fe5e222e61128a5d6f75817a44.gif

I learned it by watching you ok. Blaming all this on UNC! (Not north Carolina)

You are riding shot gun with Stu and the cat. 🙄 

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Get it?  A stray (cat). 

A cat named Stu. :stirthepot:

• Haha 2