• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pacers

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Hunter is such a poor offensive player we don't miss him on that end one bit imo. We'll need him in the playoffs though for certain matchups defensively so I hope he can get healthy.

Is it a poor offensive player or is it that he thinks poorly on offense?

He has the physique to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket most of the time.   However, he plays the Kev Settle for the three game and misses half of those shots.  Really when was the last time we had a game where Hunter was Hot from outside.  Really killing it from downtown.

Ok.. I stopped being lazy and I looked it up:

3 Pointers Made Nets on 11/03/21
3 Point Attempts v. Trail Blazers on 03/14/22

So the last time he was hot from 3... was like Our 10th game?  It was against the Nets.. and we lost that one.   Damn, he was 6 for 6 and shot 91% and scored 26 points.  Whatever happened to that guy??  back on the 14th of March though.. 3 for 9 from three.   Hunter should spend the summer with Tracey McGrady.. and learn how to score off the dribble and develop a first step.  He's got all the tools.. just no knowledge. 

• Like 1

I love this kid. 

'They tried to take me out of it,'' Young said. ''I just got to get it to my teammates and let them make plays.''

Then Young on Jalen:

'Jalen is playing hard and rebounding,'' Young said. ''It's a tough situation not knowing if you are going to play. He did a good job of being ready. He's a smart player and can dribble a little bit. He can do a lot of things for us.''

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Best feel of a Hawks defender since Thabo on the wing.  Excellent activity and motor.  He’s coming for that title for defensive plays per foul: Tyus Jones at 2.03, Delon at 1.92 before tonight is tallied.

He is exactly what I expected and hoped when he was signed: ball hopper on O, ball stopper on D.  Hop-N-Stop player if you will lol.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

On the other hand, there's a stout argument that there was never any real minutes to give to Jalen until very recently... and a stout argument that the kid had played so very little since high school that he really needed to get substantial G-league time... and a stout argument that this actually is an example of having made the right decision about Jalen.

I would mostly agree with those arguments, me... with the caveat that almost immediately after JC got sidelined, there was no reason not to give real minutes to Jalen at that point... but would it have made any difference in wins and losses?... probably not, but nonetheless, it was more reasonable than not.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

listened to what the fan base

Soberly, tho... if I ever saw a Hawks coach begin making decisions on the basis of what he believes is popular among the fan base, that automatically makes him worthless to me.... it's simply one of those jobs where you have to believe in your own philosophies, observations, and instincts, and live with the consequences. The only people who ought to hold influence are his own inner circle of coaches, and of course, his boss.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Hunter is such a poor offensive player we don't miss him on that end one bit imo. We'll need him in the playoffs though for certain matchups defensively so I hope he can get healthy.

What is the Hawks' record over the past 2 seasons with and without Hunter?

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

Watching the two games Jalen has gotten minutes just infuriates me even more about Nate. How many close games could we have won if he had played the kid over scrubs like TLC and Knox?

Remember Nate's decision to go with a nine man rotation?  He's still there.  Check last night's box.  Nine man rotation.  Gallinari was out.  JJ was in.  If Gallinari is available to play in the next game, guess who gets to sit on the pine.  

Nate admits that he has trouble with more than nine players on any given night.  We can see the truth of this when we check the box score after the games are over.  If more than nine Hawks play, you can bet that the score was too wide to make any difference.

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, sturt said:

On the other hand, there's a stout argument that there was never any real minutes to give to Jalen until very recently...

Here's where I disagree and where he could have gotten SPOT minutes (not necessarily part of the regular rotation):

1. once Solo go injured, we needed size at PF

2. With JC out

3. With Gallo out

4. With both JC and Gallo out

5. The biggest by far was any minutes (all 83 minutes) given to No-Knox should have gone to Jalen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

he could have gotten SPOT minutes (not necessarily part of the regular rotation)

2 hours ago, sturt said:

and a stout argument that the kid had played so very little since high school that he really needed to get substantial G-league time

If it's any earlier edition of a Schlenk era Hawks roster, maybe.

This is the first year when we went into the season considered by many even beyond ATL fandom to be a legit contender.

It is entirely reasonable to rule him out as a consideration for Solo's minutes... and to my mind, obviously, entirely more reasonable.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

2. With JC out

3. With Gallo out

4. With both JC and Gallo out

5. The biggest by far was any minutes (all 83 minutes) given to No-Knox should have gone to Jalen

Often times when they've ultimately not played, JC and Gallo have been game time decisions.

So, put yourself in McM/Schlenk's shoes...

A. Keep Jalen in ATL, with the real possibility of ending up a DNP for the night...

and also by the way, even if he plays, embracing the possibility of setting him up for failure not unlike what happens routinely when an MLB team calls up a #1 pick before they're ready...

B. Or make do, and help Jalen amass minutes in CP.

At the very least we should be able to agree what they chose to do has been reasonable.