Official Game Thread: Knicks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Let me say something that I've heard from my sources including non Hawks sources: Trae Young is going nowhere. This "let's trade Trae!" talk is the worst kind of fan speculation. It is literally not going to happen. Unless Trae at some point goes to Tony Ressler and says "I want out" he will NEVER be traded.

We need the best team around Trae that we can build. It may not be the best team possible but in real life terms and NOT the fantasy world of 2K where you can trade anyone for anything that is what we need to focus on as fans.

We need an elite center that can shoot from outside and also have an inside game. I can tell you all that our goal this offseason is to try and trade for Embiid, AD or KAT. That's the goal. The big fish goal. I am not saying it will happen but that is what our focus is on in the offseason. KAT will be on the trade block this summer. Harden is going to go back to Houston and Embiid will want out. The Lakers want to get rid of AD and his contract/injury situation.

We need a big wing like Hunter on this team. We need an elite center as mentioned above. DJM does actually fit well for us because he is solid plus he and Trae are very tight with each other. Everyone else on the roster is available including OO and AJ as well as Capela, JC and Bogi. 

I expect a new coach hired in the offseason and major roster turnover as a result. If we strike out on those three big names then expect something else to be done. The only bright spot I can offer frankly is that from what I have heard plus what @NBASupes has heard is that Nick Ressler has convinced Tony to pay the LT starting next season. I know, I know. I will  believe it when I see it and said as much to my own sources. 

This team, this season, is basically a lost cause. We are a playin team, again.  This team has given up on Nate. Nate is not going to change and suddenly have the team shooting three's at a normal NBA pace and run an actually offense versus hunting mid range isolation shots.

200.gif?cid=790b7611qshot813yyxfhm0l2bc7

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, shakes said:

sorry, that ship sailed 2 months ago.  We had our chance to throw in the towel, but we blew it.  No surprise there for a franchise that hasn't gotten a single thing right in the 5 years I've been following.

Its not too late.. lol

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Yep! It's clear these guys are delusional with Trae but we rarely have had top 5 media and market guys. Just Nique and Trae. 

Top 5 media/market guy for the time being... How long will it last? I said last summer Trae might not make the Allstar game again for a long while(unless Hawks are a top team in the East) because coaches and players cant stand him.....and got creamed for it.. 

Well.............................Here we are..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

The only bright spot I can offer frankly is that from what I have heard plus what @NBASupes has heard is that Nick Ressler has convinced Tony to pay the LT starting next season. I know, I know. I will  believe it when I see it and said as much to my own sources.

You know what I'm about to say - fool me once. 

7ltUMwqA1H0Nf76uqXUhcUqKbflX509g=&risl=&

Bob Rathbaun or Steve Holman was on local radio yesterday saying Tony is willing to play the tax and he wasn't afraid of the tax....but yeah...he made sure we were under BEFORE this season started.  So grain of salt until it happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

We need the best team around Trae that we can build. It may not be the best team possible but in real life terms and NOT the fantasy world 

We also need a coach that can coach him up and Trae needs to allow himself to be coached. The best of the best allow themselves to be coached.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We also need a coach that can coach him up and Trae needs to allow himself to be coached. The best of the best allow themselves to be coached.

I actually think Trae IS allowing himself to be coached, he's just getting terrible advice.

Do you notice how few shots he has been taking lately? He constantly passes up shots to defer to the bricklayers that surround him. 

The offense goes to ISO regardless of who is on the floor in the final minutes of the game. This isn't a Trae thing. 

Trae is committing on defense more than I've ever seen him. 

We need a coach who knows 21st century basketball and some Vet leadership in the locker room like solo and Gallo to get us through the tough times. Even the trades at the deadline made our team younger. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't know if that's possible tbh.   I think the only adult he listens to is his dad.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

His dad and me,of course.  Everyone listens to me.

you're my go to guy if I want to discuss who was better, Derrick Favors or Tom Hammonds.   And we're either of them as good as James Forrest?   And if so, how about Matt Harpring?

Trivia question for myself:  Where did James Forrest hit a buzzer beater in the NCAA tourney?

My answer without looking it up:  Milwaukee?

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Let me say something that I've heard from my sources including non Hawks sources: Trae Young is going nowhere. This "let's trade Trae!" talk is the worst kind of fan speculation. It is literally not going to happen. Unless Trae at some point goes to Tony Ressler and says "I want out" he will NEVER be traded.

We need the best team around Trae that we can build. It may not be the best team possible but in real life terms and NOT the fantasy world of 2K where you can trade anyone for anything that is what we need to focus on as fans.

We need an elite center that can shoot from outside and also have an inside game. I can tell you all that our goal this offseason is to try and trade for Embiid, AD or KAT. That's the goal. The big fish goal. I am not saying it will happen but that is what our focus is on in the offseason. KAT will be on the trade block this summer. Harden is going to go back to Houston and Embiid will want out. The Lakers want to get rid of AD and his contract/injury situation.

We need a big wing like Hunter on this team. We need an elite center as mentioned above. DJM does actually fit well for us because he is solid plus he and Trae are very tight with each other. Everyone else on the roster is available including OO and AJ as well as Capela, JC and Bogi. 

I expect a new coach hired in the offseason and major roster turnover as a result. If we strike out on those three big names then expect something else to be done. The only bright spot I can offer frankly is that from what I have heard plus what @NBASupes has heard is that Nick Ressler has convinced Tony to pay the LT starting next season. I know, I know. I will  believe it when I see it and said as much to my own sources. 

This team, this season, is basically a lost cause. We are a playin team, again.  This team has given up on Nate. Nate is not going to change and suddenly have the team shooting three's at a normal NBA pace and run an actually offense versus hunting mid range isolation shots.

Yeah the easiest fix might be to get rid of all the bigs not named JJ.....

Out with CC, Collins, OO... None can shoot, dribble, or pass. Only 1 can rebound. Only 1 can guard the perimeter.

Fans like to say our front line is solid, but it really isnt IMO.

OO can be very useful as a backup though, depending on what kind of defense we want to run(and how much $ he's gonna want)....

But an undersized center who can't rebound has very little usage with Trae and DJ.

We need as much size as possible.

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, terrell said:

Yeah the easiest fix might be to get rid of all the bigs not named JJ.....

Out with CC, Collins, OO... None can shoot, dribble, or pass. Only 1 can rebound. Only 1 can guard the perimeter.

Fans like to say our front line is solid, but it really isnt IMO.

OO can be very useful as a backup though, depending on what kind of defense we want to run(and how much $ he's gonna want)....

But an undersized center who can't rebound has very little usage with Trae and DJ.

We need as much size as possible.

OO has a better chance of becoming a 3 point shooter than other centers. Plus he is efficient and probably will take less than a rookie max extension.

Edited by theheroatl

7 hours ago, thecampster said:

Not including the new Hawks....some stat looks.  All stats are PER36.  Games played shown for context.

PER36 +/-

PLAYERS GP +/-
Tyrese Martin 13 3.2
Trae Young 52 1.8
De'Andre Hunter 49 1.1
John Collins 50 1
Clint Capela 43 0.7
Vit Krejci 21 0.3
Frank Kaminsky 26 0.2
Aaron Holiday 50 -0.2
Dejounte Murray 54 -0.3
AJ Griffin 55 -0.4
Onyeka Okongwu 57 -1.3
Bogdan Bogdanovic 34 -1.4
Jalen Johnson 55 -2.6
Jarrett Culver 10 -5
Justin Holiday 28 -5.8
Trent Forrest 18 -8

Same stat last 15 games.

PLAYERS GP +/-
Tyrese Martin 2 23.7
Jalen Johnson 14 5.4
Trae Young 13 4.1
AJ Griffin 15 3.3
Clint Capela 15 1.1
De'Andre Hunter 13 1
John Collins 14 0.6
Onyeka Okongwu 14 -0.2
Bogdan Bogdanovic 14 -0.6
Aaron Holiday 10 -1.2
Dejounte Murray 15 -1.2
Vit Krejci 4 -18.9
Trent Forrest 3 -21.3
Frank Kaminsky 4 -25.5
Justin Holiday 1 -57

Someone...anyone...please explain to me why Jalen Johnson was set to get a DNP last night until the last 3 minutes!!!  He has the highest +/- of any Hawk the last 15 games who has played regularly.  His contributions won't always show in the box score but he's played inspired defense, forced movement, passed well and inspired a few wins.  WTH Nate!!!

Something is not right with Dejounte...is he hurt?

Trae has been significantly better the last 15 games than the first 30....why are we still a .500 club?

I am tired of the sunshine being cast on Bogie.  I miss Huerter....but we all know that.

Now Rebounds...again, per36 last 15 games.

PLAYERS
GP MIN REB
Clint Capela 15 393 14.7
14 168 13.9
Onyeka Okongwu 14 296 11.1
Vit Krejci 4 13 8.1
John Collins 14 437 5.9
Dejounte Murray 15 549 5.5
De'Andre Hunter 13 420 4.8
Trent Forrest 3 29 3.8
Aaron Holiday 10 91 3.6
Bogdan Bogdanovic 14 395 3.6
Trae Young 13 447 3.5
AJ Griffin 15 292 3.2
Frank Kaminsky 4 14 2.6
Justin Holiday 1 6 0
Tyrese Martin 2 3 0

WTF JC...WTF DH...WTF Nate.  Your biggest issue right now is defensive rebounding and your second highest rebounding rate player was earning a DNP last night while it took a concussion to get your 25 million/yr 5.9 rebound/36 minutes PF out of the game.  WTF.

Defensive Rebounding again...  last 15 games

PLAYERS
GP MIN DREB
Jalen Johnson 14 168 10.9
Clint Capela 15 393 8.6
Vit Krejci 4 13 8.1
Onyeka Okongwu 14 296 6.9
Dejounte Murray 15 549 4.8
John Collins 14 437 4.8
De'Andre Hunter 13 420 4.2
Trent Forrest 3 29 3.8
AJ Griffin 15 292 2.8
Bogdan Bogdanovic 14 395 2.8
Frank Kaminsky 4 14 2.6
Trae Young 13 447 2.5
Aaron Holiday 10 91 2.4
Justin Holiday 1 6 0
Tyrese Martin 2 3 0

I may start drinking. That man didn't get in till 3 minutes to go in the game....Screw you Nate.  Screw you!

Yah...I'm that mad. 

This really pisses me off.  Because these stats do not surprise me at all.  Nate strikes me as the type of coach that remembers the worst thing you did in a game, and uses that to punish you . . even if you did a lot of good the rest of the game.

I knew as soon as we got Bey, that one of the kids would have their minutes cut.  Even in the Charlotte game, JJ didn't get the start, despite Collins being out.  It just proves that Nate and his staff could give a damn about advanced stats.

• Like 2