• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Thunder (8 PM EST Tip!)

lethalweapon3

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

But the team did shoot 37% from the field.    Our offensive rebounds kept us in it...  Yet you gave Clint no praise.   Like I said, you are predictable.  

Im talking about for the season. smh

Go to bed man..

Edited by terrell
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

OKC played much better defense and deserved the win. Hawks couldn't shoot for three quarters and yet they still were in the game late in the 4th. Not a whole lot to complain, BUT

• Trae needs to be educated. Trying to show off to his home crowd is very childish and Quin should have a convo with him about that. 
  • At this point, we need Trae to be a pass first PG, he's been terrible at shooting lately. 
  • Hunter needs to give us something on offense. Love his D but at this point he should probably start on the bench.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

That was just ugly basketball from us sans crashing the glass on offense for three quarters. The positive from this game would be the team didn't quit. They made a big comeback in the 4th. They dug themselves too much a hole to crawl out of it.

I have been holding off from saying something because it seems to set people off but we have to officially talk about Trae's shooting. We know he starts off slow every season but this isn't slow. This is almost unplayable shooting especially from the guy that takes the most shots.

"How dare you question our superstar. What kind of fan are you?" An objective one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's going to take awhile or won't happen at all, he's playing an entirely different way than he has and it is just taking his shot away at this point, he even reverts back to his old way to try and jump start it , won't come until he is super comfortable running this offence.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

That was just ugly basketball from us sans crashing the glass on offense for three quarters. The positive from this game would be the team didn't quit. They made a big comeback in the 4th. They dug themselves too much a hole to crawl out of it.

I have been holding off from saying something because it seems to set people off but we have to officially talk about Trae's shooting. We know he starts off slow every season but this isn't slow. This is almost unplayable shooting especially from the guy that takes the most shots.

All Trae attempts:

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

These weren't good shot attempts, earlier in the game I said he needed to slow down. Everything is off the dribble, where are the CnS attempts?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

It's going to take awhile or won't happen at all, he's playing an entirely different way than he has and it is just taking his shot away at this point, he even reverts back to his old way to try and jump start it , won't come until he is super comfortable running this offence.

It's gonna take time. He gotta realize that he's a 22ppg guy instead of a 28ppg guy

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

It's always a system or a coach that's supposedly holding him back. Maybe he's just not a good shooter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THE GOOD & THE BAD:

The good:  Rebounding, led by Capela.

A J Griffin didn't cause Atlanta to lose the game, did he!

The bad:  Everything else.

Terrible, terrible shooting.  Couldn't get their shots to fall.  Defense couldn't stop Oklahoma from scoring.

Terrible shooting carried over to free throws.

Trae looked terrible last night, and he was.  This made a great big difference.  Missed shots + turnovers....

What ever else happens, if the Hawks can't make their shots, they can't win.

They brought back the sleepwalk.  How many minutes without a field goal?

:ahf:

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

yet Bogi and Bey weren't in when it mattered.  No coach is perfect and i love what Quin brings but there are a couple things that i'm not liking so far.  

- we have a 8 man rotation.  playing AJ (or mathews for some reason) 4 minutes a game doesn't make it a 9 man rotation.  playing Trae 36 minutes is not good.

- insisting to finish with the starters even when two of them can't throw it in the ocean is dumb when Bogi and Bey are our best 3 point shooters and we're down double digits. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

- insisting to finish with the starters even when two of them can't throw it in the ocean is dumb when Bogi and Bey are our best 3 point shooters and we're down double digits. 

OO was in to finish the game. I was surprised he took out Bogi. Bey was bad on defense though, beat bad by SGA a few times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

My wife comes to a lot of games with me and she has been arguing this for years lol

Trae is an elite shooter in an open gym and when he's wide open.  Unfortunately, that's not very relevant to in-game.  His size is too big of a limitation for him to be the go-to scorer.  It's the biggest problem with our roster construction.  Trae is an elite facilitator and can be an elite floor general with time, but we gave him the greenest of green lights from day 1.  

We gave him the ultimate green light, the "superstar" status. And now there is no easy way to reel him back in. Quin is probably going to try to do it gradually. But if not, some difficult conversations will have to be had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching this one. It was tough. Road games aren’t easy. We gave ourselves a chance late but came up short. Seemed like they dictated the pace all night for the most part and having Joe come in and mail a couple threes gave them a bit of separation in the 2nd half.

To our credit we kept at it and fought but too much SGA and Chet, that’s a nice lookin big dude right there he’s super lanky and skilled.

Dort is awesome. He’s a dream target of mine to get traded to the Hawks. Straight grinder.

How bout the double wrap around dime attempt my Trae! Me: :hyper:If that pass made it, it would have been the pass of the decade no doubt.

Bey and JJ played well..

Hunter 🤦‍♀️.. I dunno, the opportunities were there, we set him up over and over and he continued to fail. That dude.. I dunno wtf was he doin all summer in the gym???? You can’t spend the entire summer in the gym practicing the same stuff you do over and over. Hunter just went through reps he didn’t add anything new to his game nor did he get stronger physically or mentally. 

Is there any team that wants Hunter at a reasonable price. He’s a liability all over the place. I don’t wanna hear about his defense anymore either it’s not like he’s licking down stars ⭐️.

Let’s get the next one!

Go Hawks!

• Moderators

The shooting with Trae is a huge issue and a strange one.  Not a lot of people have this kind of drop off.

image.png

Granted, we are talking about a small sample size this season for a historically slow starter so I don't consider this year's numbers to be remotely realistic to project for a full season.  But last year's efficiency isn't good enough.  He needs to not only get it started this year but also to get back to where he was previously.  (I would set 44.5% FG% / 36% 3pt% as reasonable targets that would be substantial improvements for him and the team.)

Now last night was brutal for the whole squad but I don't think anyone is arguing against the idea that Trae has to get it going.  I was really hoping this year would be the first where he actually came out of the gate shooting effectively.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

A little ditty from my youth perfectly describes our Trae:

There was a little girl

who had a little curl

right in the middle

of her forehead.

When she was good. 

she was very, very good

and when she was bad

she was horrid!

:ahf:

Gramps I love ya but why are you referring to our superstar ⭐️ as a “lil girl” :huh: he do got the curls doh 😣 no lies 💯 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Diesel said:

We can praise SGA all day.. but the real praise should be Jalen Williams.  He COOKED.  Did he miss a shot?  This dude is a problem.   Also, I never realized that SGA was 6'6". 

Yep, been a huge fan of Jay Will since he cooked us in a game last year.   Looking forward to watching his little brother play this year at sleeper team U of Colorado.

When it’s all said and done, OKC may have had the best haul out of a single draft in the history of the game.  Off the top of my head maybe Detroit 1970 was better (ok that wasn’t off the top of my head).

Chet, Jay Will, Dieng (big upside), other Jay Will (nothing special, could be a rotation player)