• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Thunder (8 PM EST Tip!)

lethalweapon3

24 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

My wife comes to a lot of games with me and she has been arguing this for years lol

Trae is an elite shooter in an open gym and when he's wide open.  Unfortunately, that's not very relevant to in-game.  His size is too big of a limitation for him to be the go-to scorer.  It's the biggest problem with our roster construction.  Trae is an elite facilitator and can be an elite floor general with time, but we gave him the greenest of green lights from day 1.  

This is going to take time. I keep saying that and I don't think posters realize it yet. He needs to adjust to his new role. We are asking more of him than Nate did and LP asked a lot but neither was mature at that stage.

• Like 4

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I think I’ve discovered how to gage players. If [a player is an] overhyped crappy players that give nothing to winning i.e. John Collins or Hunter, trade them ASAP. serioialy why [would anyone] do you like the[m the] most .

Asking for a friend @kg01

Both of them were and are better than you are saying.  Don't ignore the fact that Hunter is hurt right now.  He is still off to his best season if he can get back on track and between his man D and what we saw from his better offense and more disruptive D, I'm still optimistic for his full season production.  As long as he is playing through an injury, we are likely to see some rougher numbers.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

OKC played much better defense and deserved the win. Hawks couldn't shoot for three quarters and yet they still were in the game late in the 4th. Not a whole lot to complain, BUT

• Trae needs to be educated. Trying to show off to his home crowd is very childish and Quin should have a convo with him about that. 
  • At this point, we need Trae to be a pass first PG, he's been terrible at shooting lately. 
  • Hunter needs to give us something on offense. Love his D but at this point he should probably start on the bench.

The problem was him trying to show off down by 17 points. Just a dumb play in that moment, when you needed points to chip away at the lead.

Disagree with him being just a pass first PG. That's actually what caused at least 4 of those turnovers last night. He's way too indecisive when he gets into the paint. I can live with the missed shots. It's the turnovers leading to points the other way, that he has to keep to a minimum.

His floater is way short for some reason. That's a bigger reason for his low FG% than the 3 point misses. He needs to stay aggressive, but decisive.

Dre for the most part has been a bright spot for the team this season. He's struggled the past 2 games, but I'll give him somewhat of a pass for the finger. Dre's issue has always been effort and aggressiveness. He's improved that this season. He just needs to keep it up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Gramps I love ya but why are you referring to our superstar ⭐️ as a “lil girl” :huh: he do got the curls doh 😣 no lies 💯 

Misinterpitation Spud.  I said this little ditty described our Trae.  When he is good he's very, very good and when he's bad, he's horrid.  Sorry if I confused you.  Wasn't my intention.

😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Both of them were and are better than you are saying.  Don't ignore the fact that Hunter is hurt right now.  He is still off to his best season if he can get back on track and between his man D and what we saw from his better offense and more disruptive D, I'm still optimistic for his full season production.  As long as he is playing through an injury, we are likely to see some rougher numbers.

How many more passes are gonna be given to Hunter, he missed everything. We set him up numerous times and he blew it while Bey came in and straight bullied folks and hit 3’s. I’m almost done with Hunter for the 237th time…

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

How many more passes are gonna be given to Hunter, he missed everything. We set him up numerous times and he blew it while Bey came in and straight bullied folks and hit 3’s. I’m almost done with Hunter for the 237th time…

It's a long season.  Give it some time.  We need both Hunter and Bey this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Quin has stated that Murray and Trae have done a good job of being aggressive within the offense they're trying to run.  While true to an extent, I think Trae's shooting issues are being compounded by him forcing too many shots.  I think if he trusts the offense a little more and not worry about making sure he gets his, he'll get back on track sooner than later.

• Like 3

This game was a bummer.  Looks like Trae is off to another slow shooting start to the season. 

Still some encouraging signs in the loss. We have been in striking distance in all of our losses this year.  

Trae does this every year.  It's hard to explain, but gonna believe the history of looking almost unplayable in stretches at the beginning of each season.  

Outside of Trae, we have shooting and defense issues on the roster.  We knew that coming into the season.  

Thunder still need a power forward who can come in and bang and complement Chet, but their roster is definitely coming together.

Given the season SGA had last year I came into this game wondering whether I would rather build a team around Trae or SGA.  Now I am wondering if I would swap the Hawks roster for the Thunder roster entirely.  Hawks roster is more mature and in a better position to win now (obviously not last night though), whereas Thunder are younger and likely further from being a meaningful post-season team.  

Hawks should be better this season though and who knows if OKC can pay all these guys if they continue to progress (they may need to do another Harden type trade when the second contracts kick in).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Thunder still need a power forward who can come in and bang and complement Chet, but their roster is definitely coming together.

Given the season SGA had last year I came into this game wondering whether I would rather build a team around Trae or SGA.  Now I am wondering if I would swap the Hawks roster for the Thunder roster entirely.  Hawks roster is more mature and in a better position to win now (obviously not last night though), whereas Thunder are younger and likely further from being a meaningful post-season team.  

Hawks should be better this season though and who knows if OKC can pay all these guys if they continue to progress (they may need to do another Harden type trade when the second contracts kick in).

This isn’t even a question. You would trade the Hawks roster for OKC roster in a heartbeat.  It’s really not even close.  

hawks don’t have anything that even comes close to the top 3 of SGA, Chet and JWill.  

then u got Wallace looking fantastic for a late lotto rookie.  Dort is turning into a really solid 3 and D.  

on top of that they are loaded with draft picks coming up. 

OKC might have brightest future of any team In the league.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It's always a system or a coach that's supposedly holding him back. Maybe he's just not a good shooter. 

Hence the part where I said or it won't happen at all.  If he can't get to league a erage as a shooter then yes, probably will have to make a change 

• Premium Member

One problem I have with Quin other that not play AJ is we don't have a real backup point guard. Trae and DJM are playing too many minutes to try and absorb all the PG minutes. Trade for Delon Wright. The Wizards are openly tanking, they don't need a good veteran like that.

• Like 4

• Moderators
Just now, Sothron said:

One problem I have with Quin other that note play AJ is we don't have a real backup point guard. Trae and DJM are playing too many minutes to try and absorb all the PG minutes. Trade for Delon Wright. The Wizards are openly tanking, they don't need a good veteran like that.

I would welcome Delon back.  He is off to a rough start but I think you can trust in his track record.  He also fits in salary wise just fine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

That was just ugly basketball from us sans crashing the glass on offense for three quarters. The positive from this game would be the team didn't quit. They made a big comeback in the 4th. They dug themselves too much a hole to crawl out of it.

I have been holding off from saying something because it seems to set people off but we have to officially talk about Trae's shooting. We know he starts off slow every season but this isn't slow. This is almost unplayable shooting especially from the guy that takes the most shots.

"Hater".. smh

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Sothron said:

One problem I have with Quin other that not play AJ is we don't have a real backup point guard. Trae and DJM are playing too many minutes to try and absorb all the PG minutes. Trade for Delon Wright. The Wizards are openly tanking, they don't need a good veteran like that.

Trae is playing the most minutes of his career 35.6 mpg. But his usage 29.3% has been its lowest since his rookie year. (3.3% lower than last year)

DJ is at 34.4mpg, usage 24.9%

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

"How dare you question our superstar. What kind of fan are you?" An objective one. 

"Superstar" ?

lol

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

That was just ugly basketball from us sans crashing the glass on offense for three quarters. The positive from this game would be the team didn't quit. They made a big comeback in the 4th. They dug themselves too much a hole to crawl out of it.

I have been holding off from saying something because it seems to set people off but we have to officially talk about Trae's shooting. We know he starts off slow every season but this isn't slow. This is almost unplayable shooting especially from the guy that takes the most shots.

Takes the most shots,  worst +- by far, gets cooked on D, And turns it over the most..

Brings his ass off the bench if we have to IDC

Something has to give.. smh

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

It's gonna take time. He gotta realize that he's a 22ppg guy instead of a 28ppg guy

He'll never accept that.. Keep dreaming..

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

We gave him the ultimate green light, the "superstar" status. And now there is no easy way to reel him back in. Quin is probably going to try to do it gradually. But if not, some difficult conversations will have to be had. 

Hawks cant get rid of this guy fast enough..

I just cant see him changing.. And his size will ALWAYS be a detrement IMO..Especially if he cant shoot.. Cause he for damn sure isnt backing anybody down or finishing over the trees inside...

Edited by terrell

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It's always a system or a coach that's supposedly holding him back. Maybe he's just not a good shooter. 

Schlenk saw this shit coming from a mile away.. And got fired for it.. 

But Hawkssquack is alot smarter than the guy who drafted him.. smh

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, terrell said:

Takes the most shots,  worst +- by far, gets cooked on D, And turns it over the most..

Are you taking 7 games of data over multiple years of data?  The team has routinely been dramatically better with Trae on the floor over his career in Atlanta.  I would at least wait to see how the team does when he is playing closer to his career norm if you want to make a small sample size conclusion.