• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Spellman Ate his Way out of ATL (Traded to GSW)

kg01

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Just to be clear, "others' would not include me.

Find some hidden gem, maybe, but I can't say it will be "fixed."

It's not the goal to fix. It's the goal to develop talent, and then maybe next off-season and certainly the one after that to actually "fix" whatever needs it.

And this is exactly what i said but posters are trying twist my words for some strange reason forgetting their own words.  Posters had the impression that we were ready to compete for a playoff spot this year led by rookie wings and Collins and Spellman at center.  And when they were challenged by my post, they became defensive and insulting to me.  But this is Hawksquawk and I understand the mob mentality 

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, sturt said:

Just to be clear, "others' would not include me.

Find some hidden gem, maybe, but I can't say it will be "fixed."

It's not the goal to fix. It's the goal to develop talent, and then maybe next off-season and certainly the one after that to actually "fix" whatever needs it.

Nobody promised we were going to find a star in FA.  To the contrary, we quoted Schlenk about how he would be bargain hunting.  Said we would not go into the season with just two centers in Len and Bruno (as someone was concerned about that) and that Schlenk’s track record indicated he would find value rather than spend big before he is ready to contend.

I have to point out as well that Dedmon is a nice rotation piece but not a difference maker.  Our record won’t change very much for his presence or absence which is why Schlenk clearly was content to let him walk when he got offered almost double what Peo said would be a fair contract for him.

When you ask things like “what is the point” and ignore everyone telling you the goal for this year is developing the young core it causes a certain amount of disagreement.  I would be 100% in agreement with Peo if we were focused on winning this year but we clearly do not have that as our top priority. To know how we are setting ourself up for improvement via development, I’m more than willing to give the guy who has made moves over the past two months involving 3 trades and one FA signing the actual offseason to see where we land.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I don’t like the trade ... Spellman has shown defensive instincts, rebounding skills and 3 point shooting ... Jones is just a shot blocker ... we have no D other then Hunter/Cam and Len (sorta).  We need to acquire defenders ... players like  Parker only bring more offense but we are actually getting worse defensively 

If the guy doesn't have the desire to adhere to bare minimum requirements in conditioning, what are the odds he has the desire to put in the work to fulfill his potential? All we asked of Spellman was for him to not be a fat ass. He couldn't do that. Next.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I don’t like the trade ... Spellman has shown defensive instincts, rebounding skills and 3 point shooting ... Jones is just a shot blocker ... we have no D other then Hunter/Cam and Len (sorta).  We need to acquire defenders ... players like  Parker only bring more offense but we are actually getting worse defensively 

Some of us don't like the trade (some do), but Omari blew it here. I was shocked when I saw him in SL...couldn't believe my eyes. And all the instincts in the world don't matter if you can't get your body to move quick enough to defend. With Trae and Spellman on the floor together, it would get very ugly on D very quick.

I definitely wish Omari the best and hope that this is the turnaround wake-up call for him. If not, it will not be a good deal for his mental/physical health.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Wait, who is saying this is a playoff team next season?  We're still in the rebuild phase. We want to see growth from the young guys and frankly just see what we might have in our rookies. We are not making the playoffs.

38 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

By all accounts Omari was at the team facility and mostly adhering to his diet. Dude is just naturally fat. 

Where are you seeing that?

If that we're true, he wouldn't have been traded.  Are you saying Schlenk is dumb or that he's a Warrior sleeper agent?  'Cause, if your scenario is true, it's either one or the other.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Wait, who is saying this is a playoff team next season? 

I am. I’m looking at 43-48 wins and a 6-8 seed in the playoffs. I think we play a brand of team basketball 🏀 which is very consistent and rhythmic. Not many team in the east have their stuff together. There are two teams that are guaranteed (almost) to have better records than us. The Bucks and the Sixers. If we had an unbelievable year, we could finish as high as the 3rd seed (unlikely). 

3. Indy

4. Nets

5. Celtics

6. Hawks

7. Miami (could be higher with Russ)

8. Orlando

9. Pistons 

I envision something like this. We could be 6-8 for sure imho. Bookmarking this for record.

• Like 4

I don't see how people see less than 44 wins with two all stars in Trae and Collins. The east ain't the west. I said before the season ended that the Bulls and Hawks should be playoff teams. 

As for those who are out. Other than Detroit. I don't know yet. Toronto, Indiana and Brooklyn are the teams I can missing the playoffs. Did Brooklyn really get better? Yes for 2020/21 but for next year, they lost more than they gained and I've never felt Kyrie is that #1 option. 

Teams I see improving regular season wise is Orlando, Boston, Atlanta and Chicago. 

• Like 4

With just four or five more baskets we would have won 32 games last year and JC wasn't even available early so am agreeing with 40 wins or a tad more range this season. Even if it takes a while for our young defenders coming in to acclimate other teams are still going to have to keep up with our scoring which will continue to be a whole lot.

• Like 4

So over at Peachtree Hoops there is a writer convinced the Omari trade is somewhat bonkers. He seems to think that a #30 pick in the first round counts as much on paper as all other non lottery picks. A guy who doesn't look like there is a good chance of him ever being in shape and therefore most likely not healthy is gone. As it stands we got one of our three centers to develop and a distant second rounder. Parker can cover those other minutes at PF. Pessimistic guy there. Lets at least see what LP and Trae can do with Parker and Jones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaceCase said:

It's all these folks that keep mentioning blurbs from the Athletic articles trying to get us to subscribe.  Used to be the Squawk was post central, paywalls be damned!  But now I suppose there's an actual policy against it, I guess the change happened when AHF's dessert creme brulee was interrupted when the waiter brought him a CnD instead of the check. 

There always was a policy against it, IIUC.  You just violated it with impunity since AHF is scared-a you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2