• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Bucks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

29 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

While this statement continues to prove you have no ground to stand on and are only trying to make attempts at jokes to cover your refusal to acknowledge being wrong, technically this statement is correct. 

What you fail to grasp is that somewhere between 10 minutes per game and the mid to upper 30's minutes that someone like Trae is currently playing, there exists a point where if you go above that threshold, then you will be negatively effecting your physical performance at some point in the future. Whether it's the following night, the night after that, or months down the line. It's not a disputed fact and it's not complicated to understand.

However, much like flat Earthers, some people just refuse to accept reality when it's presented to them.  

Technically, the shape of the Earth is oblate spheroid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

Nope. Trae is out there playing with a giant Ice pack on his leg but Dre can’t even practice?  Either Dre has been misdiagnosed or they are holding him back for other reasons. 

Lol. This makes no sense, Trae has a bruise, he wasn't wearing an icepack (that really makes no sense) during the game but rather a heat pack to keep his bruise warm so it wouldn't get tight when he is out of the game.

Hunter had surgery, no matter how minor it's still surgery.  We know he had a PRP injection to relieve swelling after coming back and playing in 2 games. He is back on court doing individual work but no live practices.

You are pretty much comparing a charlie horse to surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Lol. This makes no sense, Trae has a bruise, he wasn't wearing an icepack (that really makes no sense) during the game but rather a heat pack to keep his bruise warm so it wouldn't get tight when he is out of the game.

Hunter had surgery, no matter how minor it's still surgery.  We know he had a PRP injection to relieve swelling after coming back and playing in 2 games. He is back on court doing individual work but no live practices.

You are pretty much comparing a charlie horse to surgery.

Ok. Nearly 40 games and counting. Let’s hope you are right and he comes back well taken care of and can produce on the court. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, MarylandHawk said:

Ok. Nearly 40 games and counting. Let’s hope you are right and he comes back well taken care of and can produce on the court. 

I have made no assertion that he will be back and productive.  All my point is in my last post is about comparing a guy with a bruise who was able to play in some limited fashion in his 1st game back vs a guy who had surgery then after 2 games had to be held out due to swelling and additional maintenance made zero sense.

• Like 1

Someone has said Hunter is out after minor surgery.  The only minor surgery is the surgery done on someone else.  

We all await his returning..  When he's healed.  Not before.  If necessary, until next season.  We all expect to make the playoffs.  We expect to make some noise there.  We really don't expect to win it all until next season.  Meanwhile we enjoy every game right now, especially when we win!

:smug:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have made no assertion that he will be back and productive.  All my point is in my last post is about comparing a guy with a bruise who was able to play in some limited fashion in his 1st game back vs a guy who had surgery then after 2 games had to be held out due to swelling and additional maintenance made zero sense.

My point was over a larger set of arguments not a direct comparison of the two.  I understand you are on top of all the medical updates and may be satisfied with them. I just have a slightly different view. It really doesn’t matter what I think but I hope he and all the others can  recover from their injuries and significantly contribute to building a winning culture here. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Someone has said Hunter is out after minor surgery.  The only minor surgery is the surgery done on someone else.  

We all await his returning..  When he's healed.  Not before.  If necessary, until next season.  We all expect to make the playoffs.  We expect to make some noise there.  We really don't expect to win it all until next season.  Meanwhile we enjoy every game right now, especially when we win!

I am enjoying this season but can’t help but think what this team might do this year with all our guys back.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To no one in particular... there are a handful of folks who I've observed seem to consider this topic casual fun to yank chains and watch other people react.

Honestly, it astounds me that a person of Oscar Robertson's character... not just his basketball achievements which were some of the most remarkable one could imagine... is so easily dismissed as not having any particular proprietary right to the nickname by which he was as well known as any other NBA legend.

Could it be that people just find chain-yanking to be that much fun?

Could it be that people just don't really know anything about the Big O, truth be told, other than some vague familiarity with the name? And, maybe, I'm just somehow making up personally for how much I loathed seeing him beat up my Hawks during his MIL years?

2021-04-24_14-24-04.png

Could it be that people do know, but they consider him, rather, one of the overhyped inductees into the Hall of Fame, and perhaps they even consider his off-court civil rights work to be offensive for some reason? ( https://www.si.com/nba/2020/12/22/oscar-robertson-nba-trailblazer-daily-cover )

Why is it so easy to promote a rookie as Dr. J who isn't Dr. J? Why is it so easy to promote a rookie as Big O who isn't Big O?

Dunno. I really, really don't.

So, anywho... enjoy those chain-yanking jollies, boys and girls. I'm content that I'm doing the Lord's work by lifting up one of the NBA's absolute best, on the court and off, and preaching/condemning the laziness/carelessness/apathy of recycling his basketball-sacred and civil-rights-sacred name and lending it to any one... let alone some rookie... yes, even one of ours.

Unintentional? It's pretty hard for any one from fan to commish and everyone in-between to make the case that they don't know any better. It's down right embarrassing. Call me self-righteous. On this one, it's merited. Every one of us, maybe especially the ones who are older and saw him play, should be self-righteous.

Our head coach referenced Okongwu with Oscar Robertson's nickname about four times in his post-game.

Love our head coach. Despise that he's that disconnected--and he's not even barely young enough to claim to not know, not appreciate, the basketball deity being disregarded by his words.

This needs to stop.

*steps down from soap box*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really, I believe that no disrespect is/was intended.  Our very own rookie, Onyeka Okongwu, has a name that I personally would not even attempt to pronounce.  I have used Agent 0017 because of his OO initials and #17.  Not likely that anyone is going to call him this.

When we refer to our own rookie as our big O, everyone knows that he's not Oscar.  He's just our rookie center with a name that we can't pronounce.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Really, I believe that no disrespect is/was intended.  Our very own rookie, Onyeka Okongwu, has a name that I personally would not even attempt to pronounce.  I have used Agent 0017 because of his OO initials and #17.  Not likely that anyone is going to call him this.

When we refer to our own rookie as our big O, everyone knows that he's not Oscar.  He's just our rookie center with a name that we can't pronounce.  

Gray it’s not that hard to pronounce. I once thought it was too.

let’s see if I can assist.....at least with the last name 

O - like “oh”

kong - like King “Kong”

wu - like “Wu” - Tang Klan (hip hop group from back in the day) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

04/25/2021 - - TODAY'S GAME - BUCKS VS HAWKS

ESPN chances of victory:  Bucks- 70.2%  - - Hawks- 29.8%

Players out - Injured:  Bucks - None! - - Hawks - 4 out + 1 doubtful - (Capela)

After watching the Bucks destroy the 76ers last night, I must wonder, is there really a 29.8% chance that Atlanta can come out of this game with a win?  

Braves have a double header this afternoon and the Hawks play tonight!

GO ATLANTA !!!!!!!!!

:sun:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Onyeka Okongwu, has a name that I personally would not even attempt to pronounce. 

I walk around saying it so much that my gf is threatening to leave.. 😞 I think I’ll just say Big O from here on out. 😉 

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JTB said:

Gray it’s not that hard to pronounce. I once thought it was too.

let’s see if I can assist.....at least with the last name 

O - like “oh”

kong - like King “Kong”

wu - like “Wu” - Tang Klan (hip hop group from back in the day) 

@JTB is now appointed as the pronunciations head man of squawk! Schoolem guy!

Ps I personally walk around saying Giannis Antetokoumpo swatted by Onyeka Okongwu! Give me a tongue 👅 a workout 🏋🏾‍♂️ 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, sturt said:

Our head coach referenced Okongwu with Oscar Robertson's nickname about four times in his post-game.

Love our head coach. Despise that he's that disconnected--and he's not even barely young enough to claim to not know, not appreciate, the basketball deity being disregarded by his words.

This needs to stop.

Hmm 🤔 So you’re gonna knock Mr. Sonic turned Mr. Hawk for calling him Big O? Why don’t you instead focus on what they have both provided for us on the court, Nate will great game plans and Okongwu’s readiness and contributions off the bench and in a starting role when needed. 

Sturt, you are an old timer, getting your panties up in a bunch over a nickname is kinda petty. Yes, the original Big O and Kareem were Gods of the 70’s and in particular that 71 year, but it’s a nickname for crying out loud.

You didn’t see Antoine Carr gettin bent out of shape for Glenn Robinson taking his last big dog about 27 years ago? Ok, maybe he did bad example. Point being everyone is going to use other people’s names and games and it all gets recycled. 

Were you mad when Kobe talked, walked, stuck his tongue out like Mike when he came in the league? I was, but I got over it. This too shall pass. 😉 

We are on National TV (kinda NBATV lol) again tonight vs Bucks. Revenge game. They are coming off a whoopin of a Sixer team missing Embiid and Simmons but and Giannis only played 24 minutes, Middleton 20, and their highest starter Holiday 27 minutes but still, they played a game while we rested. Let’s get this!