• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Bucks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

41 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I couldn't tell but I do recall Jrue guarding him several times where Trae ended up butt-nekked open in the lane for a floater that didn't end up falling.  Was this considered "good defense" too or did it get cut out because it didn't fit the narrative?

The point could be made just as easily if they'd presented both sides but show that Jrue had a better day defensively than Trae had offensively.

That's what I saw as well but, if you're someone that doesn't watch Hawks, you don't pick up on that.

I bet a lotta national folks came away thinking, "Man Trae Young is slow and unathletic."

Yeah, a leg injury will do that.

I'm just surprised our medical staff let an injured guy suit up....................lol

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

I'm just surprised our medical staff let an injured guy suit up....................lol

Trae was just rusty, no timing or rhythm, but not injured. His last game before he sat 3 games, he was visibly tender as he moved around. That wasn't the case last night. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae was just rusty, no timing or rhythm, but not injured. His last game before he sat 3 games, he was visibly tender as he moved around. That wasn't the case last night. 

Well I keep reading he was injured. Even though our staff doesnt let injured players anywhere near the court... Thats why I said that..lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

It's not a mystery and it's not false.  Just a simple stat that I think shows how efficient a player is with his scoring.  

Trae-PPS.png

So aren't trips to the free throw not counted as attempts? Seems like that would skew a stat is comparing points to field goal attempts.

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

How are you going to say Tatum is having a down year and he's averaging career highs in points and some shooting stats, but won't give Trae the same type of leniency.    You know if you take out last nights game, which you can't, he'd be ahead of some of the guys you mentioned. 

What's the point of giving other teams players the benefit of the doubt, but not doing the same for Trae?

I also would not hope Milwaukee's defense would lock Trae up.  That's scary for the Hawks. He simply was out of rhythm.  That's a good thing for the Hawks in futre

In my opinion Trae is having a down year, at least having a transition year with all the new guys. I thought his efficiency would improve with better weapons around but that hasn't happened. But if Trae lights up in the playoffs all will be well. 

I think people often forget to account for the extra energy Trae is spending on defense this season. I've suspected for a while now one of the reasons his shot has been off lately is simply from tired legs. 

Pop and the Spurs are the ones that popularized minutes reduction and load management for players: and there was a reason for it. Not to mention these guys are playing more games more frequently than most seasons. 

We need to manage Trae's workload of we want the best version of him in the playoffs. He spends SO much energy on offense. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

It's not a mystery and it's not false.  Just a simple stat that I think shows how efficient a player is with his scoring.  

Trae-PPS.png

Fwiw, I think ts% is a significantly better measure than pps.  Pps is too inflated by free throws, imo.  A point who shoots 4 threes a game at a 25% fg%/30t% but who hits 5 of 6 ft’s per game on non-shooting fouls ends up with a pps of 2.0 which leads the league.  That doesn’t seem right.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's incredible how high he set the bar last season.

29 ppg - 9 asst - 4 rebs . .  44% FG - 36% 3FG

That's one of the NBA's all time great statistical seasons for a player 6-3 and under.

Guards who have averaged 25 ppg - 9 apg in a season

• Big O ( the hall of fame version ) - 8 times
  • Jerry West - 2 times
  • Russell Westbrook - 2 times
  • Nate Archibald - 2 times
  • James Harden - 1 time
  • Michael Adams - 1 time
  • Trae Young - 1 time ( on track to do it twice )

That's it.  

LOL . . it's only been done 17 times in history, and 4 times in the last 30 years.

Crazy he doesn't get respected enough for it. Hopefully that'll change soon. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Fwiw, I think ts% is a significantly better measure than pps.  Pps is too inflated by free throws, imo.  A point who shoots 4 threes a game at a 25% fg%/30t% but who hits 5 of 6 ft’s per game on non-shooting fouls ends up with a pps of 2.0 which leads the league.  That doesn’t seem right.

Yea, it's not a good metric, quite frankly. True Shooting is a better measuring stick. 

On 4/15/2021 at 10:03 PM, Peoriabird said:

What has happened to Nathan Knight???  Okongwu is getting better while Knight is getting worse?  I thought the guy could play. Boy was i wrong.

I still like him but he looks like he has some baby fat that needs to be worked on.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 9:10 PM, AHF said:

But we aren't talking about players that take 4 shots a game.  When guys are taking 17-22 attempts it lessens the impact of fts you are talking about. 

And why should we ignore one of traes elite abilities in drawing fouls? When talking about efficient scorers, the ability to create fta and gets points from the line is an asset that not all players have. I don't think its fair to ignore that for Trae to try to paint him as inefficient. He just gets his points differently than others. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

But we aren't talking about players that take 4 shots a game.  When guys are taking 17-22 attempts it lessens the impact of fts you are talking about. 

And why should we ignore one of traes elite abilities in drawing fouls? When talking about efficient scorers, the ability to create fta and gets points from the line is an asset that not all players have. I don't think its fair to ignore that for Trae to try to paint him as inefficient. He just gets his points differently than others. 

And not just that he scores differently, it an adaptation/evolution  in his game in response to how aggressively teams have to guard him.

Trae is such a threat with the ball that he sees tight physical defense to force him off the ball. Drawing fouls isn't a Trae Young trick just to score points, it's a counter attack to deter defenses from playing him so tight.

In other words, he doesn't NEED the free throw line, if teams defended him straight up he would just cook on his own. But teams are scared so they to force his hand which is why a lot of his worst shooting games come with high free throw attempts. The tighter the D, the worse he shoots from outside but the more he gets to the line.

We have seem enough examples where teams opt not to pressure him and he scores and passes just fine. 

No matter how he is defended he will find a way to impact the game offensively. A mark of a true star player 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/16/2021 at 8:06 PM, RandomFan said:

I think people often forget to account for the extra energy Trae is spending on defense this season. I've suspected for a while now one of the reasons his shot has been off lately is simply from tired legs. 

Pop and the Spurs are the ones that popularized minutes reduction and load management for players: and there was a reason for it. Not to mention these guys are playing more games more frequently than most seasons. 

We need to manage Trae's workload of we want the best version of him in the playoffs. He spends SO much energy on offense. 

I think the minutes restriction thing is bunk. Either you're able to play or you're not. Seems like it's mostly an optics thing. Spurs did that because they guys in their mid 30s, and a month to 2 month long post season awaiting them. But now you have you have non playoff teams load managing 25 year old players.