• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Bucks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

30 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yep.  To stu's point, this year is just about getting the group playoff experience so advancing a round is just icing.  That said, I'm not concerned about anyone they'd face, especially not MIL.  We know their coach will struggle, to put it mildly, to adjust.

I found their coach's comments, regarding how their defense "worked" against Trae, to be pretty funny.  Trae, on a hobbled leg, got into the lane consistently and their big was scared to leave Capela = easy floaters all game long.

That they weren't falling had little to do with their actual defense.  What was telling was, after seeing the easy opportunities coming on a consistent basis, Budz sat over there and just watched (as usual).

That loss was as much about the Hawks' injuries as anything.

I'd rather it was the defense that slowed Trae. Seeing him miss nearly a dozen open floaters was absolutely brutal.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

No offense, but are you just making this up? Show me how you come to that conclusion. 

I'm assuming you must be using TS% as opposed to eFG% because TS% takes free throws into account, which benefits Trae. So lets compare TS% on the season.

Trae Young-58.3

LeBron James- 60.5

Luka Doncic- 59.4

Paul George -61.5

Anthony Davis-58.8

I cant find one legit star Trae is more efficient than, he is ahead of some other small guards that are borderline stars like Sexton and Morant. He is also ahead of Donovan Mitchell, arguably a star I guess.

And if you're using eFG%. Trae's .495 is strait up bad. 

He has been above several of them this season at various times by ts% and is near tied with a bunch of them (like Chris Paul, etc).  Here are some All-Stars he leads in ts%:

Jayson Tatum

Ben Simmons

Donovan Mitchell

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has been above several of them this season at various times by ts% and is near tied with a bunch of them (like Chris Paul, etc).  Here are some All-Stars he leads in ts%:

Jayson Tatum

Ben Simmons

Donovan Mitchell

Nevertheless, the claim made in  original post that Trae is more efficient than Luka, LeBron, PG and AD is demonstratably false. 

I did mention Mitchell, who is probably slightly overrated.

Ben Simmons is no surprise, he can't shoot threes or free throws. His inability to shoot is well documented. 

I give him credit for being ahead of Tatum, who's having a down year.

It's pretty hard to make the case that Trae is efficient compared to other stars. But you can make the case he's similar to and/or better than other prominent 6'1"/6'2" and under guards, which the exception of Lillard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

No offense, but are you just making this up? Show me how you come to that conclusion. 

I'm assuming you must be using TS% as opposed to eFG% because TS% takes free throws into account, which benefits Trae. So lets compare TS% on the season.

Trae Young-58.3

LeBron James- 60.5

Luka Doncic- 59.4

Paul George -61.5

Anthony Davis-58.8

I cant find one legit star Trae is more efficient than, he is ahead of some other small guards that are borderline stars like Sexton and Morant. He is also ahead of Donovan Mitchell, arguably a star I guess.

And if you're using eFG%. Trae's .495 is strait up bad. 

PPS

Trae's 16th. Luka is 17th. LBJ is 19th I think. AD is like 22nd or something. 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Budz sat over there and just watched (as usual).

Am I the only one who thought that Budz had bloodshot eyes?  Maybe not.  I may have been seeing things.  Too much pollen in the air when he came south?  Something?

:search:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nevertheless, the claim made in  original post that Trae is more efficient than Luka, LeBron, PG and AD is demonstratably false. 

Ben Simmons is no surprise, he can't shoot threes or free throws. His inability to shoot is well documented. 

It's pretty hard to make the case that Trae is efficient compared to other stars. But you can make the case he's similar to and/or better than other prominent 6'1"/6'2" and under guards, which the exception of Lillard. 

How are you going to say Tatum is having a down year and he's averaging career highs in points and some shooting stats, but won't give Trae the same type of leniency.    You know if you take out last nights game, which you can't, he'd be ahead of some of the guys you mentioned. 

What's the point of giving other teams players the benefit of the doubt, but not doing the same for Trae?

I also would not hope Milwaukee's defense would lock Trae up.  That's scary for the Hawks. He simply was out of rhythm.  That's a good thing for the Hawks in futre

• Like 1

It's not a mystery and it's not false.  Just a simple stat that I think shows how efficient a player is with his scoring.  

Trae-PPS.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Some of our fans seem to give Trae much less credit than even outsiders do.  They're loud and vocal when he struggles but much less so when he's leading the team.  

And as far as last night went, he was coming off of a week without playing. You'd think our fans would cut him a little break.  I guess that's asking too much.  

I'll defend bleachy on this. He celebrates Trae just as much as anyone as is always around regardless of the good or bag games 

He just likes to be objective about Hawks players which the exact opposite of being a fanatic! ..lol

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'll defend bleachy on this. He celebrates Trae just as much as anyone as is always around regardless of the good or bag games 

He just likes to be objective about Hawks players which the exact opposite of being a fanatic! ..lol

That may be true about bleach, but saying Trae is not efficient is not being objective.  You can say he doesn't shoot a high % on floaters and that would be fair, but saying he isn't an efficient scorer is just wrong. 

Due to his elite level of FT making, he still ends up as one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA despite making a low % of FG attempts.  But you can't just ignore FTs and they points they give.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Did you see this gal's hi lights?  WOW!  She brings excitement to the Dream!  Explosive, TNT package!  Excited to get to watch our new Dream team.  Thanks for sharing!!

:wub:

I watched a bunch of her highlights last night. She’s our Kenny Anderson but with a quick trigger. I like this pick, granted I don’t know much about the rest of the field but this lady shows a lot of fire 🔥 and doesn’t seem fazed by the moment.

Go Dream!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, I fell off the PC wagon with TNT years ago. Strictly biased entertainment with precious little accuracy. 

Right off the bat on the telecast Chuck says, “Shoutout to Dominique Wilkins” then somebody said why are you shouting him out and Chuck says, “The Hawks haven’t been good since he left”.

Then Shaq said “they won 60 games in 2015!”

Chuck says, “ya but they got swept.” 

Ya Chuck we got swept in ROUND 3, not like the first 2 rounds it was the freakin conference finals. 

I understand it’s Chuck’s role to play the fumbling idiot on inside I’m the NBA and I guess I gotta give it up to him, he’s a natural! 🤦‍♀️ Lethal mentioned WHO HE PLAY FOR in his last game thread, they need to bring that back if it’s not already there, I don’t really watch Inside or TNT pregame unless it’s the Hawks. I FF through that garbage 🗑 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I watched this and I do think the clips showed him doing a good job.  I felt that as I watched last night.

I agree with the notion that Jrue is an underrated defender.  Guy's really good.

I just bristle at the idea of posting Young's stats without the injury context and suggesting he shut Trae down.

And it's not lost on me that the reason folks posted these clips are more anti-Young bias than pro-Jrue propaganda.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So I watched this and I do think the clips showed him doing a good job.  I felt that as I watched last night.

I agree with the notion that Jrue is an underrated defender.  Guy's really good.

I just bristle at the idea of posting Young's stats without the injury context and suggesting he shut Trae down.

And it's not lost on me that the reason folks posted these clips are more anti-Young bias than pro-Jrue propaganda.

Are these all the possession Jrue guarded Trae or just the ones drew performed well because Trae was getting wide open shots. I'm not sure if Jrue was guarding him at that time though. 

Jrue is a very good defender and he and Trae are actually good friends I believe.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That's a great video.  Basically you can see that when Capela sets good screens even though last night those plays didn't end well.  But OO, Knight, Heurter did poor jobs setting and rolling.    

My takeaway is we miss JC.   

Honestly i was impressed with Jrue's offense.   He's a beast to guard for us

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Right off the bat on the telecast Chuck says, “Shoutout to Dominique Wilkins” then somebody said why are you shouting him out and Chuck says, “The Hawks haven’t been good since he left”.

Then Shaq said “they won 60 games in 2015!”

Chuck says, “ya but they got swept.” 

Ya Chuck we got swept in ROUND 3, not like the first 2 rounds it was the freakin conference finals. 

I understand it’s Chuck’s role to play the fumbling idiot on inside I’m the NBA and I guess I gotta give it up to him, he’s a natural! 🤦‍♀️ Lethal mentioned WHO HE PLAY FOR in his last game thread, they need to bring that back if it’s not already there, I don’t really watch Inside or TNT pregame unless it’s the Hawks. I FF through that garbage 🗑 

I got white-hot mad when he said that.  Like, do you know how many franchises would kill for the Hawks' middling record since Nique?  Check the most-wins lists for the past 10-15 years and the Hawks are in the top 10 iirc.  All these "winning" franchises have actually only had blips on the radar over the years whereas we've had a fairly consistent rate of wins.

So "haven't been good since" whenever is ignorant, at best.  Say what you want about getting swept, which was ridiculous, but heyul we got there.

Then I remembered he's meant to be a buffoon and I calmed right down.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1