• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Knicks at Hawks -- GAME 4

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
20 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

- 100 = 0

Come on now.  He's only been gone for a year.  Don't disrespect this man like that.

Michael Jordan Reveals His Last Texts With Kobe Bryant About Tequila, Gigi,  and Competition

Kobe is the poor man's Jordan who took some of the wrong lessons in hero ball from his idol to the detriment of his team, imo.  They are about as close as Kareem and David Robinson.  All great players but two are clearly a sizable cut above their counterpart.  

I don't see that as crapping on Kobe since saying he isn't particularly close to the GOAT shouldn't be an insult.  Only a handful of players are.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Kobe is the poor man's Jordan who took some of the wrong lessons in hero ball from his idol to the detriment of his team, imo.  They are about as close as Kareem and David Robinson.  All great players but two are clearly a sizable cut above their counterpart.  

I don't see that as crapping on Kobe since saying he isn't particularly close to the GOAT shouldn't be an insult.  Only a handful of players are.

I also have him rated lower than most overall... between 10-15 all time imo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

If Charlotte hadn't traded Kobe on draft day, I wonder how his career would be perceived now? Probably a lot differently. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

If Charlotte hadn't traded Kobe on draft day, I wonder how his career would be perceived now? Probably a lot differently. 

It very much enhances his career that he won two titles without Shaq.  To me, he was the clear #2 guy on the Shaq era Lakers which is why Kobe forced the team to trade him to Miami.  Not shockingly, Shaq went on to win an immediate title with another good wing.  The Lakers fell off so badly they completely missed the playoffs but the fact that they could rebuild with adding Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc. and reach two more rings with Kobe as the #1 this time was impressive.  His passion, work ethic and competitiveness are beyond reproach.  

1 hour ago, AHF said:

It very much enhances his career that he won two titles without Shaq.  To me, he was the clear #2 guy on the Shaq era Lakers which is why Kobe forced the team to trade him to Miami.  Not shockingly, Shaq went on to win an immediate title with another good wing.  The Lakers fell off so badly they completely missed the playoffs but the fact that they could rebuild with adding Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc. and reach two more rings with Kobe as the #1 this time was impressive.  His passion, work ethic and competitiveness are beyond reproach.  

I'm not questioning his fine career, but I think in general we underestimate the role luck plays in the final tally. 

In a lot of minds that last two years on the court of Kobe, 24 per contract for two years when he could of helped the team out and the losing games that they did (they didn't even win 40 games in total those two years) has an effect. But then comparing anyone to MJ  to any degree is always gonna be a compliment whether intended to be or not. Personally don't see them as being so close but overall Kobe was a great player and for a long tenure.. 

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, AHF said:

Kobe Bryant T-Shirts | Kobe bryant pictures, Kobe, Kobe bryant

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, AHF said:

I didn't want this going unstated.   There were no wrong lessons from Jordan.  The lesson from Jordan that Kobe took was do what needs to be done to win.   I think that's what every fan wish they had on their team... a player who will do what needs to be done to win.   That's the difference between Jordan & Kobe.... And Lebron.  Lebron is not a killer.   Lebron is not going to give it everything he has in order to win.   He's trying to build teams that can win.  Where in the MJ playbook have you ever seen MJ or Kobe trying to build a team to take them there.   Kobe and Jordan had that thing that we call HEART.  Lebron's heart is lacking.   Hell, CP3 is cut from the same mold of Kobe and Jordan and we are seeing that now.  He picks his team up in a different way but the mindset is still the same... Do whatever you can to win. 

Your statement says "to the detriment of his team".    You mean 5 rings?  You mean taking a band of guys who could have won a chip with noobody else and winning a chip with them??  Take Odom, Bynum, and Gasol and give them anybody else as their #1...  Could they have won a chip??  Give them Duncan....   NO Chip.  Give them Garnett... No Chip.  Give them Pierce... No Chip... Give them Vince... No Chip.  Give them Wade.... No Chip.  Give them Lebron..... NO CHIP.  It took the wrong lessons that Kobe brought to get those chips.