• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

Just now, bleachkit said:

Those are fair points. But usually the bottom line in sports is winning cures everything.

Winning does solve everything in sports…it’s the whole reason we saw our bench up and out of their seats for the first time a few games ago -per Ray Young

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JTB said:

Schlenk should consider trading Collins for Sabonis.

IF we could land Sabonis he’d give the team a true secondary scoring option (I will forever believe that’s important to have for any team that has desires to win BIG). Sabonis is a lot better offensively than collins not just slightly.

https://www.nba.com/news/rudy-gobert-among-10-players-leading-nba-in-screen-assists?amp=1

…..and Capela may not be a problem pairing with Sabonis  like I originally thought in fact Sabonis with OO would be an awesome fit.

Collins is better defensively than Sabonis but I don’t believe Collins makes enough impact defensively over what Sabonis could bring to this team that we are lacking (True 2nd option). In addition to that, Sabonis is a better rebounder than Collins at the 4 or 5. He actually boxes out. Overall he plays more like a BIG than Collins.

I really like the idea of adding Sabonis for Collins (if that deal works straight up)…then making a move for a guy like Marcus Smart to be our starting 2 to give us more defense between Trae and Sabonis.

Our lineup:

Trae

Smart

Hunter

Sabonis

Capela or OO

while these are clearly just highlights, I been watching full games from last season of Sabonis and this season. His 42 pts on the Jazz a few weeks back was impressive despite no Gobert. One other thing I noticed that Sabonis has in his game that JC is really lacking is the ability to put the ball on the floor and make a move in addition to posting up. Also he’s a very good passer for his position.

I like that lineup, A LOT.  Lets start with Smart.  I actually like him more than Simmons.  He is a more versatile player in my opinion and has that real dog in heal. Simmons is fake.  From the time he was at LSU I have never seen what the big deal is with him.  Philly should be jumping for joy that teams want to overpay for him because ANY deal for him is gonna be a overpay. Smart is a legit two way player.

Next,  I like Sabonis's playmaking ability from the post out to the elbow.  The offense can be actually be run through him from those areas.  Nate loves to iso his offense anyway, so running a play through the big from that area would fit.  He also would be that low post scoring option that Collins isn't right now.  I like Sabonis versatility more than Collins.  Thats a nice lineup overall.  The Hawks would have to give up Jalen Johnson in one of those deals.  With Cam given away to the Knicks,  the Hawks don't have anything other than Bogi and Gallo to give up. How would you even get Smart and Sabonis and keep Hunter and Okongwu?  Maybe Boston bites on Collins and Would the Pacers be happy with Bogi, Gallo and that first round pick from Charlotte?  Thats a hard ticket to sell.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

He is a more versatile player in my opinion

How so?  Honestly?  And don't tell me with his shooting because his shooting is a negative.  At least Simmons knows not to shoot... I feel like you're conflating Simmons personality with his play

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

My biggest concern about the Simmons trade is not on the court, but the locker room. Losing a charismatic guy like Jon, and adding a somewhat detached, standoffish guy like Ben. 

We can add Solo as assistant coach if we need charisma..... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

How so?  Honestly?  And don't tell me with his shooting because his shooting is a negative.  At least Simmons knows not to shoot... I feel like you're conflating Simmons personality with his play

That part right there! We got fans that bash a player for sticking to his strengths then we got fans that bash a player for not sticking to their strengths insert “Westbrick”

something has to give!….Simmons is too young to pass up on and he is literally a plus at everything else on the court except for jump shooting and free throws. I think some feel he can’t score at all and that’s not the case. He’s excellent at attacking the goal and his little short hook shot has been very good for him where he should use it more in the post. Last and my favorite (other than his defense and playmaking)…we talking about a 6’10 dude that can consistently break down defenses and get to the basket.

simmons is undervalued due to one bad playoff series. Folks who say he don’t show up in the playoffs is also wrong . What he doesn’t do or hasn’t shown is taking his game up a level in the playoffs but he still puts up the same numbers and defense. He’s pretty steady player at 15/8/8.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JTB said:

due to one bad playoff series.

Hmmmm.

Yes. Due to one bad playoff series... annnnnnnnnnnd... everything else that's happened since then that's illuminated more about the player, most or all of which has been legitimate reason for concerns.

We all know that. Virtually no one is ignorant of the downside, so soft-pedaling the downside isn't a rhetorical strategy that's going to be persuasive.

If you want us to obtain Ben Simmons for the video game regular season, I'm all in. We all are.

It's the real life Ben Simmons that's more complicated. Far more complicated.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Hmmmm.

Yes. Due to one bad playoff series... annnnnnnnnnnd... everything else that's happened since then that's illuminated more about the player, most or all of which has been legitimate reason for concerns.

We all know that. Virtually no one is ignorant of the downside, so soft-pedaling the downside isn't a rhetorical strategy that's going to be persuasive.

If you want us to obtain Ben Simmons for the video game regular season, I'm all in. We all are.

It's the real life Ben Simmons that's more complicated. Far more complicated.

Dude hasn't played a single minute this year despite having no injury and the dude has the gall to say "one playoff series" lol. 

42 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Well yes his shooting.  No, Smart isn't a sharp shooter, but he has made big baskets for the Celtics when the defense keys in on Tatum and Brown.  Next, I'm not combining Simmon's personality with his play. I said in my post that I have never seen what the big deal is with him. I never saw it at LSU.  It seems that people fall in love with big guys who can bring the ball up the court.  Simmons is a good defender, but a 100 million defender?  As a point guard, he is nothing special to warrant that kind of loot.  Yes, the Hawks could use him, but it would be a overpay.  Doc Rivers said point blank that he wasn't Sixers could win a championship with Simmons.  If was his PLAY, not his personality.

You are talking to a guy who REGULARLY clowns teams (Falcons) for ignoring fantastic players because of so called "issues".   Anytime a player like that is available,  the Falcons don't sign him, meanwhile, the Patriots grab the player.  Its like getting a first round pick for free, so I know the concept of getting a Ben Simmons. Different sport, same concept.  My problem with Simmons is his play.  I could care less what he does off the court.  If Ron Artest was still playing and in his prime, I would clown the Hawks if they didn't try and sign him if he was being shopped.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Well yes his shooting.  No, Smart isn't a sharp shooter, but he has made big baskets for the Celtics when the defense keys in on Tatum and Brown.  Next, I'm not combining Simmon's personality with his play. I said in my post that I have never seen what the big deal is with him. I never saw it at LSU.  It seems that people fall in love with big guys who can bring the ball up the court.  Simmons is a good defender, but a 100 million defender?  As a point guard, he is nothing special to warrant that kind of loot.  Yes, the Hawks could use him, but it would be a overpay. 

You are talking to a guy who REGULARLY clowns teams (Falcons) for ignoring fantastic players because of so called "issues".   Anytime a player like that is available,  the Falcons don't sign him, meanwhile, the Patriots grab the player.  Its like getting a first round pick for free, so I know the concept of getting a Ben Simmons. Different sport, same concept.  My problem with Simmons is his play.  I could care less what he does off the court.  If Ron Artest was still playing and in his prime, I would clown the Hawks if they didn't try and sign him if he was being shopped.

I hear you, I dont' personally have strong feelings on making a big move for Simmons but I do think it's fascinating I've read opinions that range from good/bad fit on the court to good/bad fit in the locker room, and everything inbetween.  I think it's clear Simmons is just a bit of a wildcard no matter what.  He's got talent though so if the fit doesn't work immediately, I think you have to make more moves to assemble around him and Trae.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Westbrook is the key to a Ben Simmons deal.  This trade might give the Lakers another championship, but it would give all parties what they want, without giving up significant assets and draft picks.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9rfwaho

Once and for all, Morey (allegedly) hates Westbrook from the HOU days.  That deal is not happening.

ETA: On another note:

Some rando with a UTA/BOS potential deal ...

Edited by kg01
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Westbrook is the key to a Ben Simmons deal.  This trade might give the Lakers another championship, but it would give all parties what they want, without giving up significant assets and draft picks.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9rfwaho

I swear me and you think the same at times ….I did this exact trade! I don’t have a clue why the Lakers haven’t called Philly about Harris. Westbrook as we all knew doesn’t work with lebron ….it was a terrible fit and not many are surprised.

Just now, kg01 said:

Once and for all, Morey (allegedly) hates Westbrook from the HOU days.  That deal is not happening.

I didn’t know Morey hated Westbrook…that’s the first time I’m hearing that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

it would give all parties what they want

False premise from my perspective, but you have a right to play with your own premises and ideas, of course. 🙂

• Haha 3