• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

59 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I would trade Gallo to Orlando for Garry Harris. Harris is a defensive wing who is in the last year of his deal, making $20.4 million. This will also open up more minutes for 'Gwu and JJ (if guys really think JJ should start getting minutes now). 

I'd also waive TLC and sign a guy like Patrick Patterson or Harry Giles as depth at the PF spot.

Just some quick moves that I could think of so we can get out of Gallo's deal next year. 

I actually like the value although I am not sure Orlando will like this deal. The issue is, if Atlanta trades Gallo, who's the new backup PF. At least Kevin or Cam can play backup SG. I get it for now with Hunter out, we have a clear weakness at backup SG. But after that, I am not sure and Gallo is good at defending 4s in the playoffs. He might not be as replaceable especially since JJ isn't ready. So much of why Gallo is important is he's not exactly replaceable. Now Lou is replaceable but who wants Lou?

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I actually like the value although I am not sure Orlando will like this deal. The issue is, if Atlanta trades Gallo, who's the new backup PF. At least Kevin or Cam can play backup SG. I get it for now with Hunter out, we have a clear weakness at backup SG. But after that, I am not sure and Gallo is good at defending 4s in the playoffs. He might not be as replaceable especially since JJ isn't ready. So much of why Gallo is important is he's not exactly replaceable. Now Lou is replaceable but who wants Lou?

He's not good at defending 4s.   He needs to be put on guys that stand out on the perimeter, looking for spot up shooters.

Here's an idea.  Play Okongwu at the 4 and Dieng at the 5.  Have Okongwu float like Collins does right now, while on offense, Dieng works offensively at the top of the ark, while OO controls the paint.

And Gallo isn't easily replaceable because he may be our 3rd best ISO player.  Trae can get his own shot.  Cam can too.  But so can Gallo, and he can draw fouls.  Gallo's value is that of a lethal spot up shooter from 3, and as a secondary post player when smaller forwards/guards are on him.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He might not be as replaceable especially since JJ isn't ready. So much of why Gallo is important is he's not exactly replaceable. Now Lou is replaceable but who wants Lou?

Play Onyeka at the 4? Or when Hunter returns (don't like that idea though).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I guess I'm the only Hawk fan not willing to move Gallo, because I feel that he's not being used correctly.  We keep trying to use him as a stretch 4 and an interior defender, when we should be using him as a tall 3 that can stretch the floor, and help guard out on the perimeter and the other bigs on the defensive boards.

If you're a winning team, and you're not willing to pay a little Luxury Tax, you don't have a commitment to winning . . period. 

So the Hawks shouldn't make team altering moves that may diminish their product on the court, just because they don't want to pay a little Luxury Tax.  You pay the cost to be the boss.  And if you see holes in your team that you can address with trades, you do it.

This is eerily like the situation the Hawks were in back in 2009, when people were saying that we needed to trade a few assets for a more established/star player.   But with Rick Sund's comment of "we like our core", it kept us stagnant until the market for all of those players dried up.  Basically lost all of our young talent ( except Horford ) for nothing, and had to do a complete reset once we traded JJ.  

Even with all of that, we were able to make the right moves to make the team even stronger 2 years later . . even if it was for just one year.

These Hawks got value teams want. Those Hawks did to a degree like the Pacers. Could Atlanta trade Smoove and others, sure but was a 1st round pick from a non lottery team worth it for Smoove in his prime? No. He had more value to us. Same for Millsap. With Horford, we likely dropped the ball when Steph got hurt and GS offered us Steph for Al but Atlanta was only willing to move Smoove for Steph. In hindsight, that looks bad for us. At the time, there was no telling Steph was going to have a long career and he was in the same tier with Ty Lawson and we had Teague who was up and coming. 

That said, there wasn't an offer for Smoove or Sap that would have made sense for us. And outside of Steph, same for Horford. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If you're a winning team, and you're not willing to pay a little Luxury Tax, you don't have a commitment to winning . . period. 

Right now we aren't a winning team, hopefully that changes when 2022 rolls around. Winning or not will lend itself to what we do with the LT.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

Maybe with KAT but why with Dieng? @TheNorthCydeRises

We don't have KAT, so no sense discussing.

I see what North is proposing. OO should have a size advantage, quickness and skill advantage against backup 4s, Dieng can stretch the floor leaving OO to work inside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We don't have KAT, so no sense discussing.

I see what North is proposing. OO should have a size advantage, quickness and skill advantage against backup 4s, Dieng can stretch the floor leaving OO to work inside.

It probably could work. Okongwu can play with just about everyone 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, NBASupes said:

And this is the least appealing trade market in NBA history. 

Guys who are available are massively overpriced like Sabonis and Turner. 

Teams want players for massive discounts which won't appeal to the teams with the assets.

Teams willing to sell low have assets that teams want value assets for like the Lakers and Rockets. 

Values just aren't matching this year at all. 

Let's start with the Hawks:

We are a very popular team as we have a lot of assets teams find appealing but what they want for those assets hold no benefit to us. Atlanta believes in significant assets and teams dont believe in trading them. A rebuilding team that's bad isn't interested in trading their pick unprotected for Reddish. Atlanta isn't interested in a protected 1st for Reddish. Significant assets have massive trade value if a superstar becomes available. Therefore teams are not interested in trading them because they can be Evan Mobley or someone significant. Not saying Reddish is available because he's not, it will take a significant offer. 

Nothing on the front of a trade of Gallo, Wright, or Lou. I believe these three will finish the season with Atlanta. Trade talk doesn't really heat up till Jan but from what I am hearing, Atlanta is sticking with the boys. There just aren't many guys available. If there is a player that will be traded, I believe Capela could be moved by the draft. There is major interest in Clint because of the dearth of centers who play the PnR well and rebound well and he could be moved this offseason for a first. I doubt anyone else will be moved.

I said in the past that Bogi could be on the way out by the end of 2022 season and he may still be but I doubt it. It's all about how 2021-22 season ends for our non core group which includes Bogi and Capela. 

Atlanta will be active looking for a superstar and are willing to SnT during FA for one. 

On to everyone else. There will be no superstar trades this year. 

The value for a broader line all star is through the roof, lol for a star or superstar. So many teams want Turner but the cost is too high. Indy wants a significant asset. A 1st from a playoff team just won't do. 

The biggest names that could be moved is Robert Covington and Eric Gordon. The cost is very high. I am hearing a protected 1st for either player and a real 1st as well. Not a two 2nds nonsense. 

COVID has impacted the market. No one is sure what they want to do. 

Bagley III and Knox from 2022 RFAs are available for trade. I am told Knox is reasonable cost wise but why do you want Knox. Bagley is expensive and does he help you with that price tag. 

This is a sellers market. Teams want a lot for their assets which is fair. Because decent teams are literally in the top 10 or close, it's just hard to find sellers. Indy is the only team who's said they are open for business and the prices are Whole Foods. 

Based on the data so far, expect minor trades related to injuries but nothing significant and very unlikely we have trades that are for 1st rounders. 

The draft could be crazy. Teams will be looking to possibly make moves. Teams he mentioned

Hawks

Wolves

Pacers

Spurs

Knicks

Celtics 

Mavs

Grizzlies 

Wizards

Raptors 

Lakers

Hornets

Warriors, yes the Warriors. They never look to stop finding ways to get better. 

Basically there is no point in going out of your way to watch the 2nd half unless one enjoys terrible play.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I guess I'm the only Hawk fan not willing to move Gallo, because I feel that he's not being used correctly.  We keep trying to use him as a stretch 4 and an interior defender, when we should be using him as a tall 3 that can stretch the floor, and help guard out on the perimeter and the other bigs on the defensive boards.

So the Hawks shouldn't make team altering moves that may diminish their product on the court, just because they don't want to pay a little Luxury Tax.  You pay the cost to be the boss.  And if you see holes in your team that you can address with trades, you do it.

This is eerily like the situation the Hawks were in back in 2009, when people were saying that we needed to trade a few assets for a more established/star player.   But with Rick Sund's comment of "we like our core", it kept us stagnant until the market for all of those players dried up.  Basically lost all of our young talent ( except Horford ) for nothing, and had to do a complete reset once we traded JJ.  

Even with all of that, we were able to make the right moves to make the team even stronger 2 years later . . even if it was for just one year.

I'm in agreement with a lot of what you said.    My feel on Gallo is that allot of times, he's our second best offensive player.   I would only move him to get a star.   A lot of these KJ reactions on HS.  

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I also think Gallo's ability to be a ball handler for the 2nd unit is big. Nate needs to stop playing him at the 5 - hopefully with Oneyaka back we won't see this anymore.

I think this is the big issue.  We have been so injured everywhere that we have played guys out of position.  I think Gallo fits the mold of a 4 and not a 3 because you are what you can defend... but he's not a weak spot for us.  Neither is Clint.  We just lack diversity right now because of injury.   Somebody said we don't have a championship team.  We don't know what we have because we're so injured. 

The other day, the broadcast said that we were 2 wins away from the finals.   That speaks volumes about this team.   Had Trae not gotten hurt, we probably would have gotten to the finals.   While we're injured, we just don't know because we're not some big three... we're a team.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

It's KJ to see roster moves as solely about skill. Finances matter, too.

Exactly.  Gallo made our year a season ago.  He was more key than people give him credit at the moment.  Finances is the real reason he needs to be moved.
The subtext I believe is people don’t want another player.  They want the talent void left by people like Gallo to be filled by homegrown talent.  
Most talk regarding trading for an established player is met with disapproval because it’s another guy that would take minutes from someone people want to see play a bigger role.

After the New York game many were saying, Trae is now clearly the guy.  But how can you see that and not want better players to pair with him? We had Collins, Capela, Cam, Bogi, and even Jalen who could not step in and give us reason to believe someone else is carrying the team with Trae.  
It’s only one game, but this summer guys maintained we were top contenders AS IS.  They got mad at Barkley who projected accurately who the actual contenders are.  

I haven’t had a KJ. I’ve had the same position since day one of the off-season.  We need better players.  We still should be excited about our future because defenses have piss running down their leg when Trae is running the high pick and roll.  

Last year during our run Capela was having 20/20 nights with 2 blocks.  Bogi was a 50/50/90 guy.  We don’t have support for Trae like that right now.  That’s what we need.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't see how the Rockets expect to get anything for Eric Gordon with another year after this left at $20 million.  

Not much love around here for Bogi?  He's our best wing right now.  I know we have high hopes for Kev, Cam, and Hunter but they aren't there yet in terms of consistency or health.   Bogi has been hurt twice in two years but comes back quicker than any of them.   If you ship out Bogi then we have to have an upgrade at the 2.   

• Like 3