• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks locker room is not healthy after "quiet" trade deadline

Sothron

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To me this is just splitting hairs and basically saying 'yeah garland (or whoever) blew by Kev repeatedly but at least he chased him'.   

I know you're talking defense but the passiveness on offense is poor effort too in my opinion.  They were both pretty bad for a while but seems like Bogi has at least flipped a switch on it.  Heurter's just standing around.  He's been put in a position to be a secondary playmaker but it feels like he's lost all confidence in his ability to do that.  

Bogi has the right amount of aggressiveness on offense. I actually am high on Bogi. He needs to stay healthy. The old saying is "the best ability is availability".  Heard my dad and my college coach say that one enough. It is true though. Bogi is an injury concern and probably will be the rest of his career. 

But on offense when he's healthy: yes, love how he attacks, looks for his shot, tries to get other guys going. He is exactly what I think we all thought Kevin was grow into but Kevin if anything seems to have regressed in those areas.

• Like 4

And if Gallo retires, which we've been told he might, that could open a big door for JJ.

Hawks have some pretty good players in College Park that are hoping for a chance at the NBA soon.  

As usual, we expect several changes to the team for next season.  Oldsters move out.  Youth move up.  It works in the NBA and it works this way in life.

:smug:

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

And if Gallo retires, which we've been told he might, that could open a big door for JJ.

Hawks have some pretty good players in College Park that are hoping for a chance at the NBA soon.  

As usual, we expect several changes to the team for next season.  Oldsters move out.  Youth move up.  It works in the NBA and it works this way in life.

:smug:

I think there's a decent chance Gallo takes the buy out of his contract and goes back to Italy to play there for however long he wants to play.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

I get why people on the forum enjoy the idea that players pay attention to this forum. But the very notion that any player on the team is reading the forums and gets offended by anything on here, a community of what? 20 consistent contributors tops?, all anonymous internet randos... That sends a f***ing chill down my spine... Of course it can't be true, I refuse to accept anyone who has risen to the level of pro NBA player would be so fragile.

ROFL....yeah well this pro level dude says hi:

Spoiler

Kevin Durant GIF - Kevin Durant - Discover & Share GIFs

They lurking.  I believe it.  I wouldn't have 20+ years ago before social media...but this generation is all about what people are saying online.  Man, Durant was out here literally making burners to argue with internet randos and clapping back at dudes in crowds...lol  And have you ever heard them going back and forth with fans courtside?  They care. lol TBH, I'm surprised at how accessible a lot of famous people (not just athletes) are on Twitter.  Hell, Trae Young's dad is out there chopping it up with fans on the daily

Players are lurking to see what people say.  I have no doubt because I would and I'm not even from this generation.  They're just people after all and some people care what other people think.

In the case of the Squawk...  There is no better place to get an intellectual pulse of the fanbase.  The BBIQ on this board from the average poster up is legit...then take into account the DECADES of some of us basically studying film.  Now top that off with the fact that this board is dialed into Hawks basketball and Hawks basketball ALONE.  They reading the Squawk.  Hell, I was on Facebook arguing with Roshown McCleod on Hawks Nation and that place is "Great Value" Squawk...  Straight up casual-city...so I have no doubts that some of our guys are out here dialed in.

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To me this is just splitting hairs and basically saying 'yeah garland (or whoever) blew by Kev repeatedly but at least he chased him'.   

I know you're talking defense but the passiveness on offense is poor effort too in my opinion.  They were both pretty bad for a while but seems like Bogi has at least flipped a switch on it.  Heurter's just standing around.  He's been put in a position to be a secondary playmaker but it feels like he's lost all confidence in his ability to do that.  

I don't know... for me, there's not much to criticize if someone is trying their hardest -- I don't see this as splitting hairs.   I criticize Nate for the lineups he puts out in some cases but I don't blame a player who is trying his best.  It's tough for me to be mad at a player for giving their best effort but being limited by their talent/ability.  Gallo is atrocious on defense but I don't blame HIM for it... he's clearly just limited physically and athletically.  Bogi is to blame for most of his lapses though in my opinion, which is different to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I don't pretend to really understand TPA or even know if it's great but ..... 

Then you're different than any of these other dudes who all act like they got a degree from ... GT or somethin'.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47k75gjqlsnvh4u93m4i

(Oh come on, you gotta give me that one.  WTF else you want me to brag about?  Our sports(sic) programs?)

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Wretch said:

ROFL....yeah well this pro level dude says hi:

Hide contents

Kevin Durant GIF - Kevin Durant - Discover & Share GIFs

They lurking.  I believe it.  I wouldn't have 20+ years ago before social media...but this generation is all about what people are saying online.  Man, Durant was out here literally making burners to argue with internet randos and clapping back at dudes in crowds...lol  And have you ever heard them going back and forth with fans courtside?  They care. lol TBH, I'm surprised at how accessible a lot of famous people (not just athletes) are on Twitter.  Hell, Trae Young's dad is out there chopping it up with fans on the daily

Players are lurking to see what people say.  I have no doubt because I would and I'm not even from this generation.  They're just people after all and some people care what other people think.

In the case of the Squawk...  There is no better place to get an intellectual pulse of the fanbase.  The BBIQ on this board from the average poster up is legit...then take into account the DECADES of some of us basically studying film.  Now top that off with the fact that this board is dialed into Hawks basketball and Hawks basketball ALONE.  They reading the Squawk.  Hell, I was on Facebook arguing with Roshown McCleod on Hawks Nation and that place is "Great Value" Squawk...  Straight up casual-city...so I have no doubts that some of our guys are out here dialed in.

I always get this feeling that trae reads squawk and reddit at night in bed...

And I've seen him directly do things on the court about what we discuss sometimes. Dude is like 22, he's a kid, his brain is not even developed yet. Of course he cares.... I also think he wants to knockout Chris everytime he opens his mouth.... lol.... 

About the capela comments. I think it might be just to light a fire under these guys??? 

Winning fixes everything!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I get why people on the forum enjoy the idea that players pay attention to this forum. But the very notion that any player on the team is reading the forums and gets offended by anything on here, a community of what? 20 consistent contributors tops?, all anonymous internet randos... That sends a f***ing chill down my spine... Of course it can't be true, I refuse to accept anyone who has risen to the level of pro NBA player would be so fragile.

Not in this day and age.

You know they're all over Twitter now, even have "burner accounts".   Durant is hypersensitive to any online criticism, even from random usernames.  So it's definitely out of the realm of possibility that players, coaches, and front office people are frequently on this website to gage fan reaction.  And we've all seen for years how this website gets a ton of traffic around the trade deadline, to get any information. 

Most of our reactions aren't flighty type ish.  Most of us go into detail about what we like and don't like about this team.  If I were in Atlanta, I'd be a season ticket holder, like some of you are.  So in the eyes of the front office,  we may be the fans that an organization may want to take the temperature of, in order to get a feel of how much interest the team really has.

Trae is one of the most visibly active on social media, while I don't know if John Collins even has a verified Twitter account.  The account that I see, is not verified. And if it is him, he's hardly on.  But Trae is very active.  I could see Trae having at least a lurker username, just to check on how everyone is showing him love . . or hating on him.  Bogi too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

I think you and @bleachkit are missing the point. It’s not that local media wrote an article that referenced race ….it’s that they wrote articles referencing the defense particularly on Hunter, Capela, JC, Trae and not other players from the team….more than likely I would bet that some of this comes from Chris Kirschner as his articles are the most detailed and better than any of the AJC writers. Chris is making a name for himself even if Trae does see him as a negative media outlet in ATL and his articles actually carry nationwide if it’s juicy enough.

I don’t recall every article but there’s things said about the defense of these particular players good and bad…. If I can find the articles I will be happy to share with you two but you will notice Bogi, gallo, Huerter aren’t really mentioned when defense is brought up for the hawk…. Check “The Athletic”….

Also  the word “racism” should probably be scrapped but @Sothron is just telling us what he heard word for word or close enough. The question these players truly have is why are they in the media in particular for the hawks defensive woes and not the whole team or coaching staff ?

oh and as far as these players paying attention to message boards , forums, social media, etc… @Wretch response was perfect because that’s how it is today with this generation.

I blame maturity. Reddit is very immature lol. We had this white boy winter thing going on everytime Bogi huerter or Gallo would go off. It could stem from that. We have to acknowledge players are closer to us more than ever through social media

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Sothron said:

My take: yes, I can see him doing that. It would also increase his value to the team in ways fans can't see or metrics don't touch but the FO knows it. We need someone to take over Solo's role. If Capela can do that it will honestly increase the chance he stays. Which is exactly what Capela wants to do, so, it is a win/win for him if that happens.

Somewhat random thought...

Would Bazemore (assuming bought out) be someone who plausibly could step in to such a role?

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

Aye spud, kg02 got her first start yesterday (HS soccer).  She was killin'em.  These dysfunctional Hawks could learn a thing 'er 3

Nice! Love kids sports specially soccer. My nephew was actually in a football league where they were named after real teams and he was on the rams 🐏 last season, his rams 🐏 well, let’s just say they were a work in progress. :sarcastic:I gotta say, I love the hustle and raw exuberance they show, some were mimicking the celebration of the guys.. lol.

Your kg02 sounds like a Trae. :smile:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Just imagine this scene:

*Trae Young arriving back home to his mansion on his Lambo, fresh off signing a mega max extension that will make him 100s of millions of dollars, voted starter to the All Star team...

Traes wife "What's wrong boo, you look down"

Trae *brooding: Nah it's nothing...

Wife: C'mon Trae don't be like that, I can tell when something's eating you up.

Trae: *sigh, nah hon really it's nothin... Just well... ya know Terrell from Hawksquawk.net?

Wife: Oh God, not him again... what did he do this time?

Trae: Well, he says I dribble too much, too much Iso not enough ball movement this and that...and worst of all he says i don't give enough effort on defense.... DEFENSE! After all i'm asked to do offensively, can you f***in believe that?

Wife *looks shocked

Trae: Yea I know such BS... Can't believe everyone is on my ass and giving Huerter a pass becuase he's white. 

Wife *pouring Dom Perignon on Trae's solid gold bathtub: It's ok baby I know what you need, you just lay back and relax for your Domy bubble bath, that'll wash away all the mean things that one single Hawksquawk poster says about you.

Trae: I love you boo.

Wife: I know baby. 

POST OF THE YEAR!!  This was funny as shit.

I burst out laughing as soon as I read . . . "ya know Terrell from Hawksquawk.net"

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

There is one other major distinction to make between Kevin and Bogi. Kevin is available. Stupid I know but its really important. Over the last 2 years, Bogi has missed 36 more games than Huerter.  This season, statistically, Kevin has a minor edge in efficiency despite the ole eyeball test.  There 36 more games and mildly more efficient for less money. That's my problem with Bogi over Kevin. We can have a Kevin discussion if you want, but I'd like to have the Bogi discussion first.

image.png

Between Bogi and Kevin . . . I'm Team Kevin all the way.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Somewhat random thought...

Would Bazemore (assuming bought out) be someone who plausibly could step in to such a role?

🤣

oh wait, you were serious.  In that case...

🤢

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

It's basically never about race here.  I've personally never even thought about Kev, Bogi, and Gallo like that until literally Soth made that post.  We all have our favorites and our "whipping boys", but everybody gets the business here regardless of skin color.  I move that we just ignore that conversation altogether and get back to basketball.

Not that I ignored the rest.... I mean I totally read all that ... stuff, wretch.  Totally.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e4784ze0iz2kc9a3lcvzo

But I wanted to highlight the bolded passage in particular.  I've never once thought of players' race outside other people bringing it up.  And there's really no need for us to.  I hope we can abstain from it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

@shakes not sure you're getting the context... by "role," we/I mean the same "role" as Solo took on as far as vet presence is concerned... which isn't to say anything pro or con about the on-court role.

(But if you did get the context, okay... not sure why you're so convinced Baze isn't capable, but I'm equally okay with not knowing.)

• Like 1