• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks locker room is not healthy after "quiet" trade deadline

Sothron

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Lockerroom leadership. 

As I have seen, I think that we have "heart and soul" and we have lockerroom leader.   I think the Lockerroom leader is prolly a vet like Lou.   I have watch Lou mentor OO.  I can't imagine that this guy sits in the lockerroom and say nothing.  I take him as a see something, say something kind of guy. 

JC being the heart and soul suggests to me that everybody know that JC is all in when it comes to this team.  He's ATL all the way.  He's the elder statesmen here.  He's the guy that welcomes everybody else to the Hawks team.   That gives him a voice in the lockerroom.   His voice is the one that probably echoes what the coach said.  I can hear him saying "OK guys, you heard coach, we got to...". 

Trae is not a leader yet... he has a very strong voice, but he's not as mature as he needs to be to be the leader. 

Based on everything I have heard, Solo was that guy who had all the respect and was a leader in the lockerroom.  He was the guy who spoke and when he said something, he would be heard by all.  

He was the Rick Flag of the lockerroom. 

Meet The Suicide Squad: Colonel Rick Flag | Movies | Empire

suicide-squad-deadshot-rick-flagg-not-a-

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Whoever said that, please trade that player, because bringing race into it is really a lame bitch move. And further more, it's just false. Who is giving who a pass? Show me what player is getting a pass? Are they talking about the fan base, the coaching staff, management? I am skeptical about that, maybe comments were taken out of context. But whatever, at the end of the day, team has to play better, and if the team isn't playing well, trades are inevitable. 

I was asked by my source and in our private conversation to clarify this. 

Some of the black players on the team feel that the local Hawks media is the main culprit in this. They believe that Bogi, Gallo and especially Kevin are given free passes for their play because of their skin color. They also think to a lesser extent the fans do this both at the games or on websites like this one.

So this is more directed at the local Hawks media that will get onto Trae or John or Capela or Hunter or Cam when he was here but remain very quiet about Bogi, Gallo and especially Kevin. I said this in another post and I will repeat it again: I don't know why but Kevin really is getting a free pass especially on the Squawk. I do see people complaining about Bogi and sometimes Gallo but Kevin? Rare. And if I'm being honest after Kevin signed that extension he needs to be held to a higher degree. He IS better than what we've seen. 

Hopefully some of the reaction to this post will get back to some of the players that think the finger is pointed at them too much and not the white players on the team. Kevin is honestly the Hawk I have the biggest problem with because he's more down than up.

• Like 2

Regardless of everything, last night Atlanta won their last home game before the break.  We are not the only NBA team that if facing turmoil.  

About race.  Atlanta is known as a southern black city.  Look at the leaders.  We know this.

:smug:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Is there some sense that maybe Capela is trying to step in to the Solo void... albeit by speaking out?

My take: yes, I can see him doing that. It would also increase his value to the team in ways fans can't see or metrics don't touch but the FO knows it. We need someone to take over Solo's role. If Capela can do that it will honestly increase the chance he stays. Which is exactly what Capela wants to do, so, it is a win/win for him if that happens.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

The Hawks need a Do-over.It should start with the front office,coaching staff and players.

Na that would be stupid at this point, a young talented team with a Vet coach and a good GM. We JUST went through a total rebuild and went to the EC finals last year. 

People need to stop panicking, put their egos to the side and focus on winning as a team. We are young and hopefully will work that out.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think Bogi's defense has been a lot better after coming back from injury. I'd wager he's been about a net neutral on that end after coming back. Last night in Cleveland he probably had his best game on defense. 

To give Bogi his credit he has played better since coming back from injury. He is trying to win his starting job back and frankly with how worse Kevin has played than Bogi I think he should be the starter again. 

But I don't know if this will happen because Kevin's numbers as a starter versus bench player are staggering. Like a literal night and day difference. So since Bogi can provide the 2nd unit with a spark and Kevin can't...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Some of the black players on the team feel that the local Hawks media is the main culprit in this. They believe that Bogi, Gallo and especially Kevin are given free passes for their play because of their skin color. They also think to a lesser extent the fans do this both at the games or on websites like this one.

So this is more directed at the local Hawks media that will get onto Trae or John or Capela or Hunter or Cam when he was here but remain very quiet about Bogi, Gallo and especially Kevin. I said this in another post and I will repeat it again: I don't know why but Kevin really is getting a free pass especially on the Squawk. I do see people complaining about Bogi and sometimes Gallo but Kevin? Rare. And if I'm being honest after Kevin signed that extension he needs to be held to a higher degree. He IS better than what we've seen. 

Hopefully some of the reaction to this post will get back to some of the players that think the finger is pointed at them too much and not the white players on the team. Kevin is honestly the Hawk I have the biggest problem with because he's more down than up.

Atlanta is a Black market, with a largely Black fan base. This isn't Utah. The race card is so misplaced in this instance. What Hawks media members are they referring to? Sarah Spencer? Mike Conti? Hawks barely have any media. I'm just dumbfounded by the absurdity of this.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

My take: yes, I can see him doing that. It would also increase his value to the team in ways fans can't see or metrics don't touch but the FO knows it. We need someone to take over Solo's role. If Capela can do that it will honestly increase the chance he stays. Which is exactly what Capela wants to do, so, it is a win/win for him if that happens.

What I can believe about Capela is this.  He's been on a team (Houston) that was set to win, almost won, but didn't.   He has also seen what it's like when 1 player controls everything about the team (Hello Harden).   Capela is now asked to do some of the same things he was asked to do playing with Harden.  I think since he's been down that road and seen the divaness that Harden was that he wants to try to avoid that with Trae. 

I mean, when you stack Trae and Harden up, you get the exact same result.  Offensive Juggernaut whoose defense is questionable.   Seeing that... I am lead to believe Cap wanted to have some say to avoid the mistakes that he saw with Harden.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I thought you quit on this team?   Gettoutahere!

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47rnh5tcjn6zh9eftaj9

28 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He’ll never as long as I’m here. You know I can’t be left alone in here, camp 🏕 would get his feelings hurt.

Get 'em, squd!

Aye spud, kg02 got her first start yesterday (HS soccer).  She was killin'em.  These dysfunctional Hawks could learn a thing 'er 3

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Lockerroom leadership. 

As I have seen, I think that we have "heart and soul" and we have lockerroom leader.   I think the Lockerroom leader is prolly a vet like Lou.   I have watch Lou mentor OO.  I can't imagine that this guy sits in the lockerroom and say nothing.  I take him as a see something, say something kind of guy. 

JC being the heart and soul suggests to me that everybody know that JC is all in when it comes to this team.  He's ATL all the way.  He's the elder statesmen here.  He's the guy that welcomes everybody else to the Hawks team.   That gives him a voice in the lockerroom.   His voice is the one that probably echoes what the coach said.  I can hear him saying "OK guys, you heard coach, we got to...". 

Trae is not a leader yet... he has a very strong voice, but he's not as mature as he needs to be to be the leader. 

Based on everything I have heard, Solo was that guy who had all the respect and was a leader in the lockerroom.  He was the guy who spoke and when he said something, he would be heard by all.  

He was the Rick Flag of the lockerroom. 

Meet The Suicide Squad: Colonel Rick Flag | Movies | Empire

I don’t think JC is the heart and soul of the team. I think that’s the thought perceived among the hawks fan base because JC is best outspoken player on the team.

I do believe he’s definitely 110% all in for ATL and really wants to stay here but the heart and soul of the team ?…I don’t think the players see him as that.

just my opinion and no I’m not saying Trae is the heart and soul. I don’t believe we have a heart and soul of the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Sothron said:

To give Bogi his credit he has played better since coming back from injury. He is trying to win his starting job back and frankly with how worse Kevin has played than Bogi I think he should be the starter again. 

But I don't know if this will happen because Kevin's numbers as a starter versus bench player are staggering. Like a literal night and day difference. So since Bogi can provide the 2nd unit with a spark and Kevin can't...

Nah...  I like Bogi on the Hustle squad.  Kev would mess up the hustle squad. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JTB said:

I don’t think JC is the heart and soul of the team. I think that’s the thought perceived among the hawks fan base because JC is best outspoken player on the team.

I do believe he’s definitely 110% all in for ATL and really wants to stay here but the heart and soul of the team ?…I don’t think the players see him as that.

just my opinion and no I’m not saying Trae is the heart and soul. I don’t believe we have a heart and soul of the team.

Your definition of heart and soul must include leadership.  Mine doesn't .  I think he's the heart and soul because he's 120% a Hawk.   And that too carries.  He has a voice in the lockerroom.   Maybe not THE Voice... but A voice. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

So your source mentioned that Capela knows about the Ayton potential trade this summer the FO is looking at….that’s terrible for the FO….but if Capela knows then so does the rest of the team.

what does Trae think about the possibility of adding Ayton? Is he as satisfied with a possibility of playing with Ayton as he would have been with Simmons had he come here?

I guess my question is do Trae see Ayton as an all star player like some of us here on the squawk does.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just have to point out that these come from the 7 page game thread against Cleveland alone (and aren't the threads focused on his defensive issues).  It isn't that rare:

Some cognitive dissonance going on. Kevin gets raked over the coals often. He's not a great defender. Hawks knew that when they re uped him. 

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Your definition of heart and soul must include leadership.  Mine doesn't .  I think he's the heart and soul because he's 120% a Hawk.   And that too carries.  He has a voice in the lockerroom.   Maybe not THE Voice... but A voice. 

Fair enough.

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Heurter is probably the player I dislike the most on the team. When he signed that extension, I was like "Meh." He didn't move the needle enough before the extension, and seems to do so even less since then. I have been very vocal about my disdain for his inconsistency on both ends of the court - especially offensively - which has surprised me due to the reputation he had coming in as a good shooter. His defense has always been meh to me. I've wanted him to break out so bad, but it just looks like he's destined to have a ceiling of decent bench player who masquerades as a disappointing starter. He's a massive underachiever to me, and I don't understand why he gets the love he does sometimes. 

I don't need to talk about Gallo defense because everyone and his mom knows he's a below average defender - that's not really gonna change at this stage of his career. He was pretty consistent with us last year but has turned in too many Heurter-like disappearing acts this year. 

Bogi is super inconsistent on both ends (like Heurter) but is a more capable player when healthy. He hasn't been the same since his injuries during last year's playoff run. Sigh. 

Collins has been a much-improved defender this year, and some metrics agree that he's been good to very good. Many, many fans here have acknowledged that. He's not physical, he's no bruiser, and he's no enforcer - so those looking for that in him won't find it. That doesn't mean he's a bad defender, though. He's limited offensively, but he's highly efficient. Overpaid? Yes, but he's a good-not-elite player. 

Trae is objectively a bad defender that has moments where he plays competently on that end. And no, being his size doesn't disqualify him from playing at least average defense - just means he has to have the mindset, desire, and actually put forth the effort to do it. We don't need to talk about his offense, everyone knows he's elite there. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why would you bring race up though? It's inappropriate, and irrelevant. Let's flip the switch. "The biggest problem on the team are the Black players." How would that fly? You can evaluate players without racist vitriol, believe it or not.

Right I mean we all know Trae was drafted because he is black.  Point is we can play circular logic games with race all day, and I don't know if people realize.it but the old Atlanta trope about suburbs being white and inside the perimeter being black, that has beens switching for years, there is way to much diversity in Atlanta to make that statement, even going up to Cartersville or something, go to the Walmart in Cartersville and see how mixed it is.  

Edited by hylndr11
  • Like 1