• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks locker room is not healthy after "quiet" trade deadline

Sothron

Just now, hylndr11 said:

Right I mean we all know Trae was drafted because he is black.  Point is we can play circular logic games with race all day, and I don't know if people realize.it but the old Atlanta trope about suburbs being white and inside the perimeter being black, that has beens switching for years, there is way to much diversity in Atlanta to make that statement, guess ur going up to Cartersville or something but even then, go to the Walmart in Cartersville and see how mixed it is.

I think its fair to say Sothron (then me) are discussing the perception and not necessarily our personal feelings on the subject (just to be clear).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just have to point out that these come from the 7 page game thread against Cleveland alone (and aren't the threads focused on his defensive issues).  It isn't that rare:

Huerter has been a forum whipping boy many times on and off, but has consistently been roasted for his defense. After his game seven masterpiece in Philly I think that earned him a lot of leeway here, and justifiably so. He's a cheap piece that we can all agree is worth keeping around at his current price tag, only thing with him is that he would ideally be a bench piece, but he struggles off the bench. So that is a problem.

Bogi as well earned A LOT of good will after he essentially carried us the second half of the year last year, outplaying even Trae offensively for a 30 game stretch. Most of that good will was spent early on in this year and he was consistently roasted before his injury. He has been pretty great since coming back, I'd argue he's been EASILY our most consistent and best player outside of Trae during that stretch.

Gallo is a guy we can all see age has caught up with. I think most people on here would gladly take an upgrade, but problem is I think we all know the market for a clearly rapidly declining player with a year left on a huge contract is close to non existent, so we either lose his production off the bench for nothing, or we keep him and his offensive production that is well above replacement level and very important to our second unit. 

To me the man that has the most glaring free pass is Hunter. He is borderline terrible on offense, and his defense has been meh. He's still our best 1 on 1 defender, but that's not saying much. Wright has easily been better on defense overall, by a pretty significant margin, and honestly not that much worse offensively.  Collins has put up at least 3x the value on this team that Hunter provides and is on a reasonable contract but people continue to dunk on him the minute he has a bad game, while it takes Hunter stringing together around two weeks of awful play for people to notice how bad he is. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, JTB said:

So your source mentioned that Capela knows about the Ayton potential trade this summer the FO is looking at….that’s terrible for the FO….but if Capela knows then so does the rest of the team.

what does Trae think about the possibility of adding Ayton? Is he as satisfied with a possibility of playing with Ayton as he would have been with Simmons had he come here?

I guess my question is do Trae see Ayton as an all star player like some of us here on the squawk does.

Trae is on board with it because he thinks Ayton has more of an offensive game and little difference on defense/rebounding. It would take some of the scoring load off Trae and bring more size to the front court.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I think its fair to say Sothron (then me) are discussing the perception and not necessarily our personal feelings on the subject (just to be clear).

This x 100. We are relaying what some of the black players on the team feel not our own personal feelings. I have been pretty specific I think to say which is which. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

Trae is on board with it because he thinks Ayton has more of an offensive game and little difference on defense/rebounding. It would take some of the scoring load off Trae and bring more size to the front court.

Didn't Kobe once say "we're about trade all y'all bums" or something like that once? Trae does not have the cred to do that yet. But star players taking to management about trades is nothing new. Have to keep it under wraps though. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Huerter has been a forum whipping boy many times on and off, but has consistently been roasted for his defense. After his game seven masterpiece in Philly I think that earned him a lot of leeway here, and justifiably so. He's a cheap piece that we can all agree is worth keeping around at his current price tag, only thing with him is that he would ideally be a bench piece, but he struggles off the bench. So that is a problem.

Bogi as well earned A LOT of good will after he essentially carried us the second half of the year last year, outplaying even Trae offensively for a 30 game stretch. Most of that was spent early on in this year and he was consistently roasted before his injury. He has been pretty great since coming back, I'd argue he's been EASILY our most consistent and best player outside of Trae overall since coming back. 

I don't disagree with what you posted except to point out that Kevin is no longer a cheap option. He is getting paid starter money and he is not delivering especially on defense. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

This x 100. We are relaying what some of the black players on the team feel not our own personal feelings. I have been pretty specific I think to say which is which. 

I know that, mostly playing devils advocate here so as to have some consistency, or now that we know all this , we blow up squawk with kill whitey player xyz threads so the other players feel better and we the posters and our magical behind the scenes sorcery fix the hawks lockeroom issues with some reverse internet psychology 🤣

Edited by hylndr11
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So my preference with Ayton is how easy he makes boxing out look. He'll give up an easy drive or two because he's committed to staying with his man. He'll give up the occasional drive but prevent the highlight plays. Because he's committed to his primary defensive target, it makes putting his body on him much easier after the shot goes up. Again, positional defense. It isn't just his defensive rebounds, but the number of offensive rebounds he prevents, lob dunks, cuts he prevents.

See the 36 second through 41 second mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Why would you bring race up though? It's inappropriate, and irrelevant. Let's flip the switch. "The biggest problem on the team are the Black players." How would that fly? You can evaluate players without racist vitriol, believe it or not.

well, it sounds like the players agree with me based on the OP.    And maybe I brought it up because I noticed what the players have noticed, that the white guys seem to get a pass.  And I thought it was interesting to bring that up.

And here we are, a few weeks later and in fact it is an issue apparently.

Sorry you don't like it, but (no I'm not going to say the truth hurts) there's no denying that it has become part of the story today and I was just ahead of the game.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So my preference with Ayton is how easy he makes boxing out look. He'll give up an easy drive or two because he's committed to staying with his man. He'll give up the occasional drive but prevent the highlight plays. Because he's committed to his primary defensive target, it makes putting his body on him much easier after the shot goes up. Again, positional defense. It isn't just his defensive rebounds, but the number of offensive rebounds he prevents, lob dunks, cuts he prevents.

I would love to have Ayton here. He's a clear upgrade over Capela. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nah...  I like Bogi on the Hustle squad.  Kev would mess up the hustle squad. 

Bogi and hustle.  Two words that should never be said together with a straight face.

4 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

I know that, mostly playing devils advocate here so as to have some consistency, or now that we know all this , we blow up squawk with kill whitey player xyz threads so the other players feel better and we the posters and our magical behind the scenes sorcery fix the hawks lockeroom issues with some reverse internet psychology 🤣

I'm sorry but I just don't believe this. No way DeAndre Hunter said, "y'all giving Kevin a pass cause he's White!" I'm sorry but I don't believe that. That is not his personality at all. John is a unifier, not a divider. And his tension has always been with Trae. Sorry but I think there may be some misunderstanding here, or at least some contextual misunderstanding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Or it sounds like our dysfunction IS the cause of their problems.  Now the mods have to regulate our comments for the good of the franchise.  

I think I need to do the right thing and just become a mod.  I'm the hero the city of Atlanta needs.

I'll be running on the 'No mo' play in GA' ticket and I can be $urely be bought.  Can I count on your vote?

#kg4Mod'22

• Haha 4