• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Magic

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

I need to find the thread about Culver where I told people he does everything well except shoot and if he can shoot at all he's at least a rotation player in the NBA. He looked very good out there as a rotation player. The more we can put the Holidays on the bench the better the team overall will be. 

Culver and Forrest have a dog mentality in them that we desperately need on the defensive end and for overall energy. 

• Like 4

Assuming Dre is hurt, I wouldn't mind Culver starting in the Denver game. Kind of like a SF version of Vanderbilt. Just play with energy, defend, swing the ball, and shoot (and lord please make them) when open. The majority of the minutes should go to Griffin of course, just hope Culver can be those all energy guys who can provide a little bit of everything. Would help set the tone to start the game

Edited by Marvin24Williams
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I need to watch the highlights of this game.  It's always quiet after a win.

Does a blowout win over a bottom 5 team change the problems with this team? There's always going to be more discussion about the concerns than the positives unless the team is elite. I don't think the team is suddenly a good offensive team just because they blewout the lousy Magic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I wasn't able to watch the game tonight, but are these injuries serious?  Are we going to be running Culver 30 minutes against the Nuggets Friday? 

How was AJ tonight?

Trae was 10/12 from 2? lol... drives? middies? Looks like the 3 ball still not falling but he was still very efficient?

How did Krejci look?

I'm really concerned about JC.   Looked like he rolled his ankle pretty good.  Like I said, Banchero just stood under the goal while JC was dunking.   It was really no reason for Banchero to be there.  I looked at it as something that was done on purpose but I will watch it back again.   

AJ was great.   He got his stroke back.   His instincts are very good.  He might not get any votes for ROY but he's probably one of the top rookies playing based on maturity. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Does a blowout win over a bottom 5 team change the problems with this team? There's always going to be more discussion about the concerns than the positives unless the team is elite. I don't think the team is suddenly a good offensive team just because they blewout the lousy Magic. 

When you watch the game and see how the ball was moving and how the defense was playing... yeah.  I will admit, Orlando's defense was doo doo.  They just might win the Winbamyama sweepstakes.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't think the team is suddenly a good offensive team just because they blewout the lousy Magic.

One more thing...

Not just the magic.

In the first half of the last 4 games, we have applied Blow out conditions.

We should have beaten Houston.  We were up what 26.

We had Miami down by 16 or so.. and the same for Philly. 

What we are really seeing is Trae rolling into his Allstar Form and DJM not there yet. 

Even last night, when Trae was leading the first team, it was score after score.   When DJM came out to lead the second team, the offense was not as proficient.   DJM doesn't pass as much.   I know it's a lot to expect his passing to be on the level of Trae.  When you watch the both, it shows how great a passer that Trae is.

Right now, DJM goes IsoJoe a lot because he needs the confidence.  Last night he was hitting.   The dynamic will change once Bogi gets back.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Bogi doing a lot of the ball handling in the halfcourt because DJM plays like an end piece. 

Our players have to adapt to DJM's passing style.  Trae has spoiled our guys.  He makes it very easy.   Balls hit them in the hands as they are going up or Trae put the ball right over the basket.   Last night, Clint guided in about 5 of those lobs.   I have not seen DJM attempt a lob in these 21 games.  Instead, his passes are always bounce passes.   He gave Clint one last night.   The thing is that players have to move with DJM.  Moving towards the bucket, he will hit you in stride.  He's a typical guard who has developed his passing off of players on curls or cuts to the basket.   Nate is going to have to develop that or Travis is going to have to bring in players that do that.   Ours don't.  Hunter doesn't.  OO doesn't.  Clint can.  JC is sometimy.  But it hurts a big to get the ball that low and on the drive.  Vince Carter would have loved playing with DJM. 

But I have the feeling that DJM is going to figure it out and Nate is going to lean towards something that works for DJM. 

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

One more thing...

Not just the magic.

In the first half of the last 4 games, we have applied Blow out conditions.

We should have beaten Houston.  We were up what 26.

We had Miami down by 16 or so.. and the same for Philly. 

What we are really seeing is Trae rolling into his Allstar Form and DJM not there yet. 

Even last night, when Trae was leading the first team, it was score after score.   When DJM came out to lead the second team, the offense was not as proficient.   DJM doesn't pass as much.   I know it's a lot to expect his passing to be on the level of Trae.  When you watch the both, it shows how great a passer that Trae is.

Right now, DJM goes IsoJoe a lot because he needs the confidence.  Last night he was hitting.   The dynamic will change once Bogi gets back.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Bogi doing a lot of the ball handling in the halfcourt because DJM plays like an end piece. 

Our players have to adapt to DJM's passing style.  Trae has spoiled our guys.  He makes it very easy.   Balls hit them in the hands as they are going up or Trae put the ball right over the basket.   Last night, Clint guided in about 5 of those lobs.   I have not seen DJM attempt a lob in these 21 games.  Instead, his passes are always bounce passes.   He gave Clint one last night.   The thing is that players have to move with DJM.  Moving towards the bucket, he will hit you in stride.  He's a typical guard who has developed his passing off of players on curls or cuts to the basket.   Nate is going to have to develop that or Travis is going to have to bring in players that do that.   Ours don't.  Hunter doesn't.  OO doesn't.  Clint can.  JC is sometimy.  But it hurts a big to get the ball that low and on the drive.  Vince Carter would have loved playing with DJM. 

But I have the feeling that DJM is going to figure it out and Nate is going to lean towards something that works for DJM. 

The issues haven't been resolved in one game against a lousy team.  Or in the last 3 1st halves.  The issues hindering this team offensively are still there and well-coached teams like Miami will shut them down over the course of the game.  They still don't shoot consistently well from the perimeter and the "offensive system" still appears to revolve around Trae and DJM taking turns dribbling while the other watches.  I want to see Nate or someone else implement an actual system that utilizes both players in half court sets.  It's just too easy for a decent team to defend when we play 4 on 5 most of the time.  Especially so if the spacing is whack.  

The best thing about last night, imo, is that 12-10 is way better than 11-11.  Outside of that, the game didn't really tell me anything other than Trae is starting to get his numbers in and the Magic are pretty terrible.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I want to see Nate or someone else implement an actual system that utilizes both players in half court sets.  It's just too easy for a decent team to defend when we play 4 on 5 most of the time.  Especially so if the spacing is whack.  

The best thing about last night, imo, is that 12-10 is way better than 11-11.  Outside of that, the game didn't really tell me anything other than Trae is starting to get his numbers in and the Magic are pretty terrible.  

But do we understand, if this was possible with the current staff, we'd be seeing it by now?

Agree it's better to be 12-10 than 11-11.  The only solace we have is the fact that so many other teams are also disappointing compared to expectations.  We still have time for Trae/Mary to figure out how to get everyone else involved.  I say them two because the coaching staff isn't gonna do it.  I take no pleasure in saying that but it is what it be at this point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I need to find the thread about Culver where I told people he does everything well except shoot and if he can shoot at all he's at least a rotation player in the NBA. He looked very good out there as a rotation player. The more we can put the Holidays on the bench the better the team overall will be. 

Culver and Forrest have a dog mentality in them that we desperately need on the defensive end and for overall energy. 

When Dre comes back, we'll probably never see Culver again unfortunately.. smh

That is until Dre gets nicked up again..

I didnt miss Dre at all last night...Sad

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

When you watch the game and see how the ball was moving and how the defense was playing... yeah.  I will admit, Orlando's defense was doo doo.  They just might win the Winbamyama sweepstakes.

Orlando and Charlotte are in the Wemby sweepstakes.. He'll probably end up in our division, because that's just how it goes in Atlanta...Im hoping he lands in Detroit.. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

I'm really concerned about JC.   Looked like he rolled his ankle pretty good.  Like I said, Banchero just stood under the goal while JC was dunking.   It was really no reason for Banchero to be there.  I looked at it as something that was done on purpose but I will watch it back again.   

AJ was great.   He got his stroke back.   His instincts are very good.  He might not get any votes for ROY but he's probably one of the top rookies playing based on maturity. 

We just lost the 2 softest players on the team

We might go streaking now.. lol

Culver,AJG, Vit more than enough to compensate for Hunter and Collins

A hungry player is gold- give me Culver

I like his activity, he wants to impress

Hunter is Charmin

Edited by terrell

13 hours ago, terrell said:

The problem is not as much Murray with the bench lineups, Its OO.....OO is killing the benches offense imo..Weak picks, no rebounding, lack of scoring. We need a backup Center fast. 

Hornet's G League team:  Mark Williams - Center - 7'+ Drafted last summer.  Hawks need him!

😉

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Hornet's G League team:  Mark Williams - Center - 7'+ Drafted last summer.  Hawks need him!

😉

Not as much as we needed to draft AJ, though.  Sure am glad that Charlotte left our boy for us with the next pick!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

The issues haven't been resolved in one game against a lousy team.  Or in the last 3 1st halves.  The issues hindering this team offensively are still there and well-coached teams like Miami will shut them down over the course of the game.  They still don't shoot consistently well from the perimeter and the "offensive system" still appears to revolve around Trae and DJM taking turns dribbling while the other watches.  I want to see Nate or someone else implement an actual system that utilizes both players in half court sets.  It's just too easy for a decent team to defend when we play 4 on 5 most of the time.  Especially so if the spacing is whack.  

There are still issues for sure, but I think we take 2 of those 3 with Capela.  I think the Philly game also had some home cooking leading up to the final 2 minutes where we did lose the game.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

But do we understand, if this was possible with the current staff, we'd be seeing it by now?

Agree it's better to be 12-10 than 11-11.  The only solace we have is the fact that so many other teams are also disappointing compared to expectations.  We still have time for Trae/Mary to figure out how to get everyone else involved.  I say them two because the coaching staff isn't gonna do it.  I take no pleasure in saying that but it is what it be at this point.

Oh I definitely understand.  And I agree.  But as you said, it is what it is at this point.   

• Like 1

• Moderators

Great game.   I'm middle of the road on Nate but it obvious he's still coaching up the team.  He may not be the best at in game adjustments but you can see him trying to fix things that were broken in previous games.   We can all say this was an easy one but the Rockets are equally horrible and we laid an egg there because the team didn't play with any discipline.   That changed last night. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

he issues haven't been resolved in one game against a lousy team.  Or in the last 3 1st halves.  The issues hindering this team offensively are still there and well-coached teams like Miami will shut them down over the course of the game. 

My statement is that the issue is NOT dependent on the other team.   Miami couldn't shut us down in the first half of the other game we played.  We came out in the third against them and just shit a brick... because we went slow down and Iso.  That's not based on anything Miami did.  It's all based on our reliance to go back to the familiar even though we know that Movement and pace wins for us.   

Last night, we kept our foot on the pedal in the third.  That wasn't because of anything that Orlando did.  It was because we choose to. 

When you watch back the Houston game, we gave them life and then we started playing Iso ball.   It wasn't because Houston started defending us... it's because of us..

What we have to do is make our new normal... run and pass.  That may take some time but once we get it, I don't see a team in the league that can stop it. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I don't think you can really lay this at the Coaching Staff's feet.   Think about it.. The Last 4 games, we have started off dominating teams.  Then in the second half, we slow down and play iso ball.   I think the iso ball is mostly DJM because he's not confident with our other style of offense.    Our other style of offense is PNR.   Notice, we have went back to the PNR offense mainly because it works for Trae.    Trae was a wizard last night.   I don't care who the opponent, the passes he was making last night were freakin effective and would have worked on anybody.   Still, PNR works for Trae because it contrasts his lob with his floater and the movement he gets allows him to find open shooters too.  

DJM is not built that way.   He needs an offense with cutters and him being the prime.  You can see it on his face.  He waives off the PNR because his PNR passes are low for big men and Dre and Holiday doesn't really cut through the lane.   So he gets to the key and iso joes the play.   He will IsoJoe because he's comfortable with that midrange shot.  I'm not mad, if we know that.   What Nate and Friends are doing is trying to find a way to make DJM more effective while at the same time getting everybody involved.   They called up Forrest.  Forrest has lots of potential and Forrest can be a ball handler for the 2nd unit and allow DJM to Isojoe.  But after awhile, we will get BOGI Back and Bogi will play OG but will handle the ball.   He's not going to run plays better because sometimes Bogi does the same thing.. but he will pass and take some pressure off of DJM by providing a good shooter on the floor.  IF Bogi comes in As the 2, DJM as the 1 and Griff Money as the 3, that lineup will be dangerous.   Griff Money will make those cuts that DJM like. 

• Like 1