• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Nuggets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I just stated a fact. 

Memphis was great without Morant in the lineup.  Him being out really helped their team chemistry and led to the rapid development of Desmond Bane.  They also played large stretches of the season without Dillon Brooks.  When you have a decent group of players, you can survive without your best player, or best few players.

People simply have to start making shots on this team.  Tonight was a perfect example of what happens when people make shots, and get into the paint for their offense.

WTF does this have to do with the Hawks?

I never said we were better without Trae.. smh

Dre and JC is who needs to be replaced imo...Said it all week when they were injured. that wed have better ball movement passing and overall activity.. Had nothing to do with Trae....

All I said is we beat 2 top teams without him, and you flipped out.. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

McMillan kept talking about that fist... Trae decided to take it literally for once.

From "shoulder soreness" to out isnt like Trae... Something had to be up.....If he took the night off because he was pouting.......................................

Hopefully not..

Edited by terrell

Culver and Jalen handle better than JC at the 4. Jalen passes better. And given how JC has shot this year, neither was really a downgrade there either

AJG does pretty much everything on offense at the 3 better than Dre besides maybe scoring on smaller defenders. Krejci passes better

Add in the return of Bogi and this might have been, offensively, the best the Hawks have been at the 2-3-4 this year. That makes up for a lot

I know some folks like pointing the finger at Trae whenever the ball doesn’t move(I do it myself sometimes) but this had a lot to do with the regular starting front court being out IMO. And if Trae returns next game, with the two of them out longer, we may see my theory put to the test very soon.

With that said, We also did not have a bunch of Trae turnovers, 30 foot chucks, lazy defense, and whining to the refs which was also refreshing.... 

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

Just now, terrell said:

The ball wont move like this with Dre and JC..

It can but it just won’t be as smooth with Dre and JC. Culver and Jalen are just naturally better passers and when you put them in the lineup you have the dribble, shoot, pass philosophy that Travis Schlenk talked so much about in the past but with defense.

I’d be interested to see what this rotation of guys below does for us going forward with each player getting 20+ minutes per game with Hunter and Collins out for 2 weeks! Are we going to see a repeat of when Hunter and Reddish were out 2 seasons ago ???…….

Trae, Murray, Culver, Jalen, Capela, OO, A. Holiday, AJ, Bogi

On AJ:
AJ ain’t too shabby on defense, he’s actually pretty good  but AJ is definitely more so hands down a scorer …that kid has some real high level scoring potential! If the defense keeps up Hunter may join the John Collins trade rumors sometime next season.

On Culver:
the biggest concern with culver is that even though he played well, Hunter still is a way better shooter whereas culver hesitates too much…I really liked culver overall play cause there are things he does better than Hunter like dribbling, playmaking, rebounding….defensively so far from what we have seen, Culver could potentially be up there with Hunter as well but the shooting hesitancy can  get him in trouble eventually with doing the unnecessary extra pass when he’s open.

On Jalen:
Jalen is fluid and pretty smooth all around I think he’s more of a Forward who can play both SF and PF. I think he should be labeled as F and not a SF or PF. He just has some good overall game similar to Collins but he handles and passes the ball better then JC. Collins is a better screener however.

Going forward we should see culver and Jalen enter the rotation more as we move forward and see a lot less of Justin holiday. 

Our Depth:
It’s just one game but that one game was very convincing and it proved we have some untapped potential that we just aren’t playing! AJ should get just as many minutes as Bogi would get off the bench in my opinion if not more. Trae and Murray does not have to play close to 40 minutes a game. We have enough depth behind Trae and Murray where they can play 30-32 minutes at most and we’ll be better off. Don’t let Collins suck up all the PF minutes when Jalen and Culver has shown they can fill in and make impact if given the opportunity. It’s really odd because early on McMillan and his staff were fine with capela getting just 20 minute games here and there so I think that should apply to other starters as well.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I just stated a fact. 

Memphis was great without Morant in the lineup.  Him being out really helped their team chemistry and led to the rapid development of Desmond Bane.  They also played large stretches of the season without Dillon Brooks.  When you have a decent group of players, you can survive without your best player, or best few players.

People simply have to start making shots on this team.  Tonight was a perfect example of what happens when people make shots, and get into the paint for their offense.

Also it’s important to note that Memphis coach Taylor Jenkins comes from the bud coaching tree so it’s a completely different offense that’s taking place in Memphis too that compared to McMillan and our hawks. Taylors offense similar to Buds which is similar to Pops…forces Ja to share the ball in a different way.

Its not an excuse for Trae or McMillan it’s just facts. But we don’t need to be any other team we just need to do what works for us and leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Some may attribute the ball movement to Trae being out.  That does have a little to do with it, but JJ, Culver and Griffin are willing ball movers and cutters.

That made a lot of difference tonight.  There was player and ball movement!

Very true.  The Dre and JC combo has been my biggest fit issue with the personnel.  Would love to see the other guys provide a spark the next couple weeks.  

Culver is waaaayyyyyyy better than I expected.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Some may attribute the ball movement to Trae being out.  That does have a little to do with it, but JJ, Culver and Griffin are willing ball movers and cutters.

That made a lot of difference tonight.  There was player and ball movement!

Yes but I know Trae and Murray are capable of moving and cutting as well. Gotta build some trust and maybe they’d play different with this group oppose to Hunter and JC! We will see because on top of the moving and cutting all 3 of those guys (JJ, Culver, AJ) are also better dribblers and passers than Hunter and Collins.

• Like 1