• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae

theheroatl

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Based on what?  It's not like Trae has ever played for a championship level coach.

You really think a championship level coach wants to coach Trae? Bud ran from the just the idea of Trae. US team has tons of players and even with many declines, none of the coaches wanted Trae. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Based on what?  It's not like Trae has ever played for a championship level coach.

Bud wasn't a championship level coach empirically speaking until... he was.

I'm not one to buy-in to the idea that a coach's lack of a championship on his resume' is necessarily some important marker.

I don't think Nate is some fantastic x's and o's coach, but I do think he's a good coach... good enough. And part of that "good" is that he's got the right demeanor to manage egos, imo.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

the fact that every coach would have issues with Trae Young. Every single one

We can debate the term "fact."

But I agree with the opinion.

Have to take the good and the bad with Trae, and hope that there's more significantly more good in the overall analysis. He has strong opinions and seems from the outside to be distrusting of coaching when things aren't going well. But it's difficult to tease out and put boundaries on that because it's so intricate with the pride he takes in his game and in winning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Here's the problem...  Our three point output and our offense ranking under Nate hasn't been bad.

image.thumb.png.a221f07c74af146af324a014eff3a37f.png

Our 3 point makes are down 25% from last year.  3 point volume down 14% from last year

Our 2 point makes are up 18% from last year.  2 point attempts up 17% from last year

Turnovers are down 11% improved

Here's the problem though:

image.png.65b352025710faa16e413fc98e7b68e3.png

We are basically middle of the road offensively, so our wins and losses are being determined by how well we play defensively.  And once again, contrary to popular belief, the person that's getting killed on defense is NOT Trae.  In the games we're losing, we're simply giving up too many 3 point makes.  And they shoot at an above average percentage when we're losing games.

image.thumb.png.a17bb58604371fd98e1c5ad04e2ca95f.png

The Hawks are actually 3rd in the league in 3 point % at .329.  But we're also 3rd in the league in 3 point makes given up at almost 11 threes a game.  When our opponent shoots 33% or higher from 3, we're 2 - 9

When our opponent shoots below 33%, we're 11 - 1.  We just have to defend the 3 point line a lot better than what we're doing.

image.thumb.png.cee657840f96cb2108fff8db372a3e53.png

image.thumb.png.3a1b54551aed01e35d6383ca6c2ba61e.png

image.png

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Think this one through.  

Nate tells Trae to leave the rehab and go out to the court for the shoot around and do the rehab there and not to show up at the game if he isn’t going to come off the bench.  

What do you think happens if Trae shows up at the stadium over Nate’s direct order to stay home?  Bonkers loses his mind with happiness celebrating how Trae is so selfish he defied the coach’s order.

The ultimatum put Trae in a no win situation if he wasn’t ready to play.

That’s not true. 

I’d rather Trae show up and sit on the bench and put the attention back on Nate for not starting/playing him if he felt he was healthy and good to go. That’s an easy sell to both the media and front office.

”Coach was heated, we had some words, but at the end of the day I will always put the letters across my chest first and be there for my teammates. If that’s an issue for coach, I will let him speak on it himself. But this organization, our team, the opportunity to be in this league, it means everything to me. I will always be ready if I feel like there is something I can do to help us win. On the court or off. Nothing will ever stop me from being there for my brothers. I have nothing but respect for the game and for men in this locker room.”

You say this, now Nate is the lone jackass on the island.

PR 101.
You control the narrative when you are present. You lose control to speculation when you’re not. Always get ahead of speculation, find a microphone, make a statement (this day in age, post a tweet). Force the other person’s hand.

Coach made the first statement. Now it’s a thing. Now Trae has to explain himself instead of the other way around. 

Trae does have more power than Nate.  He should have used it better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

So we'd rather have a superstar and lose?  Not me. I want to win.

You can't win without a superstar.  Role players may make big shots in certain moments, but superstar players are the ones that normally carry you throughout a game and can win big games.

The 60 win Hawks team was fun to watch, but people forget that was a DEFENSIVE team first and foremost.  We were very efficient offensively, but we held people under 98 ppg because that team was so good defensively.

But that team had a ceiling, due to the lack of a superstar offensive talent.

With this current team, we have Trae and Dejounte, who have already shown that they're capable of carrying the team offensively.  AJ is a good enough shot maker to do it on some occasions.  So is a healthy Bogi.  So offensively, we can really be a lethal team, if Nate loosens up the offense a bit, this offense could really be dynamic.  But Nate is playing it safe.

We're taking all of these 2 point shots, but yet is still 18th in the league in 2 point %, because of the midrange shots we're taking.  When you play like that, you have to be stellar defensively ( as @JayBirdHawk pointed out in the article that she cited when Nate was in Indy ).

Nate doesn't trust his superstar, and that's a problem.  Because Nate will be the one who is let go, because his offense isn't good enough to win on most nights vs good teams.  The Hawks are 4th in the league in shots attempted, yet 14th in the league in points scored.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Stop.  Bud ran from the idea of coaching a team trying to tank and rebuild.  Trae isn't the guy that ran Bud away.

While this is true, the point reminds. All of the great Team USA coaches and no one wanted him 

Edited by NBASupes

Trae better be thankful he’s in a tepid media market.  Had Boston or New York ran the video 1,000 times of him clearly saying “that bitch trash” in reference to a Black female referee he would’ve apologized as many times as the thousands of dollars he would’ve been fined.  I would say he has to grow up but he’s rich beyond belief so that ship has sailed.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Imagine taking the side of a scoring guard who had more turnovers than field goals in a playoff series over a coach with a .535 winning clip in almost 1,400 games of coaching experience in all small markets.  Just imagine that.

Love the message it sends to the rest of the locker room.  “As long as we have 5 guys on the floor playing hard and smart for one another we can win without you no biggie.”

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think JC and Trae are at it again. When heading to the locker room after the game, JC kept saying over and over "everyone eats"... That seem to be eerily similar to JC complaints about someone before. Of course, I have nothing to prove this, and this could be so far from the truth. But for this to get out to the media, it appears every thing else that has gotten out to the media in recent years, have had a common player present. Just sayin...

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Sothron said:

This is bigger than a shoulder issue. The real issues are what I laid out. Trae thinks Nate's offense is a relic from the late 90's and he wants to change it up some. He wants to do catch and shoot. He doesn't care if the ball is in his hands less as long as the offense is more diverse and frankly not just isolation sets. 

Nate wants a faster pace and Trae to pick up his defensive play. Notice how Trae mentions he works on something new every offseason, which is 100% true, but there's one part of his game he never mentions. Ever. And I mean EVER. What is that? His defense. 

TBF that's not something you can typically work on in the offseason. Never heard any player say they are gonna work on their defense in the offseason

I'm gonna let this play out a little more before I take a strong stance.  Superstars are quite often divas or ultra competitors like Kobe.  It helps and hurts them, and they have to learn how to manage their personality like everyone else. 

You often hear things about the social media era where all the players are friends is kind of a joke.  We got a guy who isn't trying to make friends and it's going to create problems at times.  If this is as bad as it gets, I'm not too worried.  But not sure where it will end. 

I do expect Trae to remain a bit of a problematic star, but that is 50-75% of them.  If they have a personality to yield to the fans, teammates, coaches... then it plays out on the court the same way.  An alpha doesn't stop being an alpha when the game is over.  

• Like 2