• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Thunder at Hawks

lethalweapon3

I really liked the style of play.  Lots of ball movement.  Lots of open shots.  Just gotta MAKE them.  And that's part B of the problem with this team.  Really poor shooters overall.  Does anyone have confidence that guys aren't going to go into stretches of not making shots.  Even the easy, wide open ones?  Seems to be a stretch every game.  

Again, the game plan seemed solid.  It's what we've been clamoring for.  Ball movement. Open shots.  I thought I was going to faint with the ball swung around and eventually found Trae in the corner for a wide open 3.  Alas, brick.  

Bottom line, we should all see the fruits of playing guys that are willing passers like JJ and AJ and even Culver.  The ball was moving really well.  Cut down on TOs / easy buckets and then actually hit the open shots and we can be good.  

Issues:   

Can we hit open shots consistently?

Can we continue to move the ball around when JC and DH come back?  

Can we move the ball more and not turn it over more?  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3

Hawks and Falcons arent much different this season..

Stubborn ass coach

QB/PG who cant hit the broad side of a barn

Careless turnovers

Choking leads 

Only difference is Falcons are in rebuilding stage and Hawks are supposed to be contenders.. smh

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terrell said:

We haven’t won a SINGLE 4TH quarter our last 9 GAMES!!!

How is this even possible with "superstars" on the team?

Edited by terrell

• Moderators

We were a terrible 4th quarter team last  year and it has continued.   But the blame has to go around.  It's  not all Nate.

everyone (including me) was mad that we went from 4 up to 1 down with Trae and Capela on the bench and then once they came back we went from 1 down to 7 down so........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hylndr11 said:

Ball seems to be moving more and were going deeper into rotations, we needed to see that, for a minute there it was looking like we just traded one thing shooting for DJ and expected shit to just work.  

Nate is only going deeper into rotation because Collins and Hunter are out and JHoli just returned from COVID.  Nate is stilling sticking with his 9-man rotation regardless.   #TheNineIsTheNine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okc is a top team at turning the other team over. They have a lot of length and their defense was better than I thought.

If we continue to move the ball like last night and play good defense we will be fine.

Bogi, AJ, and Trae have to make their open looks.

This one is a tough one to swallow, but at the end of the game the bench looked together as a team and thats encouraging.

Also, SGA is a handfull keeping out the paint.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nate is only going deeper into rotation because Collins and Hunter are out and JHoli just returned from COVID.  Nate is stilling sticking with his 9-man rotation regardless.   #TheNineIsTheNine

Who would you prefer be the 10th man last night?

Edited by marco102

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Aaron Holiday.

He isn't a good match up with OKC. That team is huge and long.  They would have destroyed him. We needed someone with size to keep their guys out of the paint and rebound.

J. Holi would have been a better option, imo, but who knows what his condition was.

I think Nate played it right last night. With AJ being cold, the only good option with this line up was J. Holi.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, marco102 said:

He isn't a good match up with OKC. That team is huge and long.  They would have destroyed him. We needed someone with size to keep their guys out of the paint and rebound.

J. Holi would have been a better option, imo, but who knows what his condition was.

I think Nate played it right last night. With AJ being cold, the only good option with this line up was J. Holi.

I think where AHol could have helped was some pressure in the backcourt to prevent OKC from just walking into their sets.  Disrupt the timing a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think where AHol could have helped was some pressure in the backcourt to prevent OKC from just walking into their sets.  Disrupt the timing a bit.

From what I saw he wouldn't have done much. They have a ton of ball handlers with size. You have to match that size. 

All I'm saying is Nates rotations weren't to blame last night. I thought he played it right. I can't be mad because he left Bogi out there for an extra minute when Bogi had it going.

The alternatives to Bogi weren't good with us being short handed.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

We were a terrible 4th quarter team last  year and it has continued.   But the blame has to go around.  It's  not all Nate.

everyone (including me) was mad that we went from 4 up to 1 down with Trae and Capela on the bench and then once they came back we went from 1 down to 7 down so........

Job of the coach...

1.  Plan for stuff.

2.   Stop momentum

3.  The right rotations.

Some of this is on Nate.. even though he looked like he tried #2 and #3. 

But some of this is on players.  In the 4th, we broke down from the ball movement that we had in the first 3 qtrs to IsoJoe Ball.  We did this while OKC was outworking us.  They put in that one guy and all he was there for was to outwork us.  He outworked us like they picked him up from the Home Depot parking lot and told him he gets double if he can get more rebounds than Hunter would. 

It's the players.  We get up on a team and we start believing that we can abandon the gameplan and just play.  It's like a pickup game mentality exists.   I was watching and all the sudden, we were desparately trying to get Bogi another 3.  And we had a size advantage on the Inside.   It's just bad BBIQ.

• Like 1

Ok wow… SGA had 35!!!! I just saw this in the boxscore. Ummmm, that was a quiet 35. Dang.

I usually have some answers and guesses… now, I’m plum out. I don’t know what’s going on or whose fault it is which usually lands on the head coach warranted or not.

As a Hawks fan right now, I feel like I walked into a room where the kids were supposed to make their beds but instead made some funky yet very creative art 🖼️ projects. But the focus was the bed making. 🤨 Look, I love the individual acts and highlights and numbers and fantastic quarters but let’s string together some WINS now.

Not sure what’s up but fix it Schlenk! Or Nate! Or whoever.

We are better than a near .500 team. This is some bs. 

With talent comes expectations. The talent is here. WIN. Do what you gotta do, have a players meeting, a team meeting but seriously get your ish together. Can’t be losing to OKC at home I don’t care how good or a rebuilding team they are or aren’t. OKC was marked as a WIN for me on my calendar. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok wow… SGA had 35!!!! I just saw this in the boxscore. Ummmm, that was a quiet 35. Dang.

15 of 15 on FTs.  10 in the fourth mostly when we started intentionally fouling.  I thought we held him in check pretty well.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I usually have some answers and guesses… now, I’m plum out. I don’t know what’s going on or whose fault it is which usually lands on the head coach warranted or not.

As a Hawks fan right now, I feel like I walked into a room where the kids were supposed to make their beds but instead made some funky yet very creative art 🖼️ projects. But the focus was the bed making. 🤨 Look, I love the individual acts and highlights and numbers and fantastic quarters but let’s string together some WINS now.

Not sure what’s up but fix it Schlenk! Or Nate! Or whoever.

We are better than a near .500 team. This is some bs. 

With talent comes expectations. The talent is here. WIN. Do what you gotta do, have a players meeting, a team meeting but seriously get your ish together. Can’t be losing to OKC at home I don’t care how good or a rebuilding team they are or aren’t. OKC was marked as a WIN for me on my calendar. 🤦‍♀️ 

It was a FT aided 35.

But they outworked us.  They came to Atlanta to show us Werk...  and they did.  Even Giddy was out there working.   We had too many turnovers and just played down once we got a lead.   They continued coming and just outworked us.   We have to plan for shots not falling.   We can't become so reliant on the three point shot when we have guys like Murray (and Hunter) who can hit midrange shots.   Murray can get his midrange shot on anyone at any time,.. .as we gel, I hope we become more comfortable with this than the Homerun three pointer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Say want you want about Hunter, but we missed his defense and length vs SGA.

Yeah.. but for the most part.. SGA was pedestrian..  I don't think he was that great.  Our problems was their activity and our shot selection and turnovers...

We are usually a good turnover team... We're like 4th in the league for T.O.s  I will chalk it up to having to play unfamiliar guys against a team that swipes at everything.