• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Thunder at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Yeah.. but for the most part.. SGA was pedestrian..  I don't think he was that great.  Our problems was their activity and our shot selection and turnovers...

We are usually a good turnover team... We're like 4th in the league for T.O.s  I will chalk it up to having to play unfamiliar guys against a team that swipes at everything. 

He was getting into the paint at ease with no rim protection - we could have also used JC's weakside defense at the rim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

It was interesting to watch them breakdown our zone with ease compared to what we do.   Honestly they got to the rim in the 1st quarter and should have gone up big but just missed a bunch of bunnies.  

I don't even know their coach but seems like he knows what he's doing.  

I tell you Giddy looks even more unathletic in person but that dude is good.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

It was interesting to watch them breakdown our zone with ease compared to what we do.   Honestly they got to the rim in the 1st quarter and should have gone up big but just missed a bunch of bunnies.  

I don't even know their coach but seems like he knows what he's doing.  

I tell you Giddy looks even more unathletic in person but that dude is good.  

Giddy is a talent.  Especially running the offense.  Yeah, our defense is susceptible to Zone breaking offensive sets.   Especially with our young Personnel.  Honestly, JJ has to become more aware.  It was mystifying how DJM got that one dunk when they had absolutely nobody guarding the paint.   Well, we had a few instances like that too.. As Jay said above,  JC would have given good help defense in those circumstances.   However, JJ is not aware.. and Culver (as much as I like him) was not as aware either.   Culver does 2 things good and then one bad.  Like I watched him cleanly cover both the corner three and the other three position (same side).. that was good.. but then I watched him just let sorry Dort walk right by him to the bucket. 

Talking about unathletic.  Dort looks like he's just walking out there.  Not even a jog...

Hats off to OKC, they played their game and we let them. Really had this down as a W no doubt, but again we got outworked. Not sure why that happens more often than not?

Good to see Bogi have a good game and get some of the dust off himself, will need him badly on this road trip. 13-11 is  not a terrible start after 24 games by any means.

But as I have said before, really need to put away teams when we have the chance. We just relax too much and get away from what got us a big lead in the first place.

At the Knicks hopefully we can get it back together.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

@Diesel and @terrell - Feel free to continue substantive discussion here but the "I know you have an agenda but what am I" type exchange going on right now is not of interest to anyone.  Either participate in substantive discussion or ignore the thread.  No more name calling types of posts. 

They always come at me my guy.. I always just stick to Hawks basketball.. 

Ive been called "hater" and "agenda" for weeks(years actually for the previous).. Where you been?

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, terrell said:

They always come at me my guy.. I always just stick to Hawks basketball.. 

Ive been called "hater" and "agenda" for weeks(years actually for the previous).. Where you been?

You've taken shots at others so let's not pretend otherwise, and generally passing comments back and forth aren't a big deal to where the mods are going to step in.  They are derailing this thread right now and so I'm asking for them to stop.  Diesel started them here and you guys ended up in a back and forth that brings nothing to the thread.

Let's get back to Hawks basketball.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

You've taken shots at others so let's not pretend otherwise, and generally passing comments back and forth aren't a big deal to where the mods are going to step in.  They are derailing this thread right now and so I'm asking for them to stop.  Diesel started them here and you guys ended up in a back and forth that brings nothing to the thread.

Let's get back to Hawks basketball.

When? I never get personal name calling and such.. But ok

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

When? I never get personal name calling and such.. But ok

You aren't getting disciplined or anything here.  I'm just asking that people talk basketball.  If you never do anything other than talk basketball then I'm not sure how you are negatively impacted and please read the previous post to be without your name.  If you think you are, please send me a PM and we'll continue it there.  Thanks, terrell.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What is the issue?

Against okc: JJ, AJ, Bogi, Capela were something like 3-17 from the field in the fourth.   DJ and Trae 5-14 which isn't great either.  

Hawks were 10-33 with 8 offensive rebounds in the fourth.  Which means we couldn't throw it in the ocean from outside or 1 foot away.   I can't blame last nights fourth quarter on Nate at all.  

We've got to figure it out though because this is the real question of Nate's tenure.  Why can't we close out games?  All of Nate's C's go out the window in the fourth it seems. 

I think i'd rather see Trae play all of the fourth and less of the third.  Not that that will solve it but let's try something. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

15 of 15 on FTs.  10 in the fourth mostly when we started intentionally fouling.  I thought we held him in check pretty well.   

I swear during that span I had to rewind it 5 times I kept falling asleep 😴 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Against okc: JJ, AJ, Bogi, Capela were something like 3-17 from the field in the fourth.   DJ and Trae 5-14 which isn't great either.  

Hawks were 10-33 with 8 offensive rebounds in the fourth.  Which means we couldn't throw it in the ocean from outside or 1 foot away.   I can't blame last nights fourth quarter on Nate at all.  

We've got to figure it out though because this is the real question of Nate's tenure.  Why can't we close out games?  All of Nate's C's go out the window in the fourth it seems. 

I think i'd rather see Trae play all of the fourth and less of the third.  Not that that will solve it but let's try something. 

I get that guys need to hit shots....yes, yes, make or miss league.

Where I place blame on Nate is the predictability of the offense and in his rotations and in-game adjustments.  No one is ever surprised with the play calling.  If I can see what the play is going to be on TV, the other team can.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What is the issue?

It certainly wasn’t a good sign when a G-League player in Chris Silva won that “conditioning test” thing before the season.  

This season has also been a bad combination of opposing teams hitting desperation threes late in the clock while Trae is missing deep threes early in it.  Awful recipe for controlling momentum late.  Ultimately the Thunder at times put 5 guys who can handle decent and basic play make on the floor.  The Hawks can NEVER do this.  I like Clint and am an OO fan, huge holes in their games.  I’m seeing mediocre players like Paul Reed improve into dribble spin moves and dribble hand offs.  Alpern Sengun wasn’t even there for our latest loss to Houston and he’s the youngest player ever to 1,000 points and 200 assists.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

And our starting SG can’t force his way to the line when it’s terribly needed late.  Not getting opposing Cs in consistent enough foul trouble has been a failing for a long time.  It seems like only Embiid and half of his shit be offensive lol

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What is the issue?

I don't know the issue, but breaking it down a little more:

2pt FG% by Quarter

1st - 55.0% (13th in league)

2nd - 59.1% (6th)

3rd - 50.1% (27th)

4th - 48.3% (29th)

3pt FG% by Quarter

1st - 29.4% (29th)

2nd - 32.9% (24th)

3rd - 33.7% (19th)

4th - 35.0%  (14th)

So as the game goes on, the 2pt shot gets worse while the 3pt shot gets better, although it tops out in the 4th at middle of the league good currently (14th). 

Interestingly, the frequency of shots is heavily skewed 2pts (obvious I know) but it gets less so as the game moves on and tops out at 34% 3pt in the 3rd and 4th quarters. It starts at 29% in the 1st and increases to 32% in the 2nd.  

Again, I don't know what the cause it, but I suspect it has a lot to do with other coaches making adjustments as the game wears on and locking down the Hawks late. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I get that guys need to hit shots....yes, yes, make or miss league.

Where I place blame on Nate is the predictability of the offense and in his rotations and in-game adjustments.  No one is ever surprised with the play calling.  If I can see what the play is going to be on TV, the other team can.  

I can't say that it's all predictable when our guys just blow wide open looks.   I think a bigger problem is just going off script.  I think Oliver mentioned it last night, 3 qtrs of ball moving from side to side and dominating with the 1-5 PNR... then all the sudden, to start the 4th, everybody is trying to hit an outside shot.

If the Blame falls on Nate then Nate should ban three pointers in the 4th.