Official Game Thread: Hawks at Lakers

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

If there wasn't a lottery it would be such an unbelievable no brainer to tear this down and tank. Unfortunately we could finish with the worst record and still not get Wemby

This team is a mess and I think we should give it a shot. Someone has to win the lottery, right?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Sturt loves to talk about how good we are when fully healthy but I've been watching a lot of NBA this year. Ain't no one fully healthy in the modern NBA 

You need DEPTH 

YOU GUYS REALLY HAVE TO STOP THIS.

*sigh*

My focus has been on players actually having time together on the floor to develop continuity/chemisty. And especially players who are key contributors who have never played together before.

It is true that it is health (or lack thereof) that has slowed that process.

It is not true that I claim we have to wait until players are healthy to begin reaching conclusions about the capacity of this roster to succeed.

To be fair to Supes, you do need depth. To be fair to me, I've consistently said the very same thing.

Hear this please. You didn't just add DJ to the rotation mix. With the exception of Big2O, you put on the floor an entirely new second unit as this season began. And then, it took most of that first month for it to become apparent that Nate... and let's be fair, most of this board with him... was wrong to be so willing to presume that JDay was a legit rotation player. Then, about a dozen games ago, you finally got BogBog back.

Moreover, I might be the only one here (?) who was banging the drum early and often that we needed a legit 6th big... and still do.

I've embraced for maybe 7 years now the working theory that new players need about 25 games together before they're able to begin to click together. That's fundamental, then, to how I approach thinking about a team's progress.

People can take their shots, and why not... we're just fans, and this is what we do here.

But most of those taking their shots are notably the same ones firing away when I was warning about JDay's steep statistical regression--including defensive stats, yes--over the last two seasons.

Their wanting now to diss my perspective about being slow to reach conclusions on this roster until I was satisfied that there would have been enough time to get used to playing together... ie, which I've said for a couple of week now is to be, for me, the next homestand... isn't compelling. It is to me just more fans predisposed to ignoring my premise... which again is

"...players actually having time together on the floor to develop continuity/chemisty. And especially players who are key contributors who have never played together before..."

Am I angry? Angry is a strong term. Not really. Perturbed? Yeah, that's better.

But mainly perturbed that people keep contorting my focus, my emphasis, and speaking of my take in words that are not precisely correct--and thus, in words that are nuanced toward making my take seem less reasonable... and they do that, why?... they do that either because they really haven't bothered to read for comprehension (I've done that, and cannot throw stones), or they do that because they actually do understand my take, they disagree with it, and yet, they also know if they repeated my take for precisely what it is, it might sound a whole lot more reasonable and sober than their own take.

Please stop it. (It's not just Supes, and indeed, I'm one to presume the benefit of a doubt in Supes case that he just hadn't bothered to read for comprehension.) If you're going to cite me, do your due diligence and treat my take as you yourself would want one of your takes to be treated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

YOU GUYS REALLY HAVE TO STOP THIS.

*sigh*

My focus has been on players actually having time together on the floor to develop continuity/chemisty. And especially players who are key contributors who have never played together before.

It is true that it is health that has slowed that process.

It is not true that I claim we have to wait until players are healthy to begin reaching conclusions about the capacity of this roster to succeed.

To be fair to Supes, you do need depth. To be fair to me, I've consistently said the very same thing.

Hear this please. You didn't just add DJ to the rotation mix. With the exception of Big2O, you put on the floor an entirely new second unit as this season began. And then, it took most of that first month for it to become apparent that Nate... and let's be fair, most of this board with him... was wrong to be so willing to presume that JDay was a legit rotation player. Then, about a dozen games ago, you finally got BogBog back.

I've embraced for maybe 7 years now the working theory that new players need about 25 games together before they're able to begin to click together. That's fundamental, then, to how I approach thinking about a team's progress.

People can take their shots, and why not... we're just fans, and this is what we do here.

But most of those taking their shots are notably the same ones firing away when I was warning about JDay's steep statistical regression--including defensive stats, yes--over the last two seasons.

Their wanting now to diss my perspective about being slow to reach conclusions on this roster until I was satisfied that there would have been enough time to get used to playing together... ie, which I've said for a couple of week now is to be, for me, the next homestand... isn't compelling. It is to me just more fans predisposed to ignoring my premise... which again is

"...players actually having time together on the floor to develop continuity/chemisty. And especially players who are key contributors who have never played together before..."

But mainly perturbed that people keep contorting my focus, my emphasis, and speaking of my take in words that are not precisely correct--and thus, in words that are nuanced toward making my take seem less reasonable... and they do that, why?... they do that either because they really haven't bothered to read for comprehension (I've done that, and cannot throw stones), or they do that because they actually do understand my take, they disagree with it, and yet, they also know if they repeated my take for precisely what it is, it might sound a whole lot more reasonable and sober than their own take.

Please stop it. (It's not just Supes, and indeed, I'm one to presume the benefit of a doubt in Supes case that he just hadn't bothered to read for comprehension). If you're going to cite me, do your due diligence and treat my take as you yourself would want one of your takes to be treated.

image.gif.a95f9dfeb0a07c6e63a59ac80626e79c.gif

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Please stop it. (It's not just Supes, and indeed, I'm one to presume the benefit of a doubt in Supes case that he just hadn't bothered to read for comprehension.) If you're going to cite me, do your due diligence and treat my take as you yourself would want one of your takes to be treated.

@Spud2nique.... always good to read for comprehension... and the entire post, that is.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, terrell said:

Nothing Travis/LF does works.. smh

This trade might be another disaster if we max Murray.

He and Trae together aint it imo..

One of them has to go. We're almost 40 games into the season and they still play like crap together. 

The experiment has failed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

This info is OLD. Like months old. Atlanta shopped the tradable 3. Multiple teams had interest but only LAC made a serious offer. I don't see any reason as to why they wouldn't when their issues are primarily the same as it was at that time.

Bogi interest has always been contract for contract which doesn't appeal to Atlanta. 

JC is obvious. Atlanta wants assets. Teams thought he was a liability. Will they change their minds seeing how he's been playing since Capela been out for the most part. I don't think so but with so few sellers, you just never know. 

I forgot the reporter who said it but all roads point to Toronto. They are the ones everyone is waiting for to set the market but based on what I've got from my guy, he thinks Toronto will sit on everyone but FVV and wait till the offseason when some of the bigger names should be available where you can at least try and see what you can get. 

As far as FVV, he wasn't available earlier this year but teams have called and Toronto has listened. A team to watch for is Dallas. They have a lot of interest and they are willing to trade draft assets which is hard to get as FVV at this stage is seen as a rental although I still believe he can be resigned even right now.

That's what everyone is waiting on, will Toronto move or keep FVV. My belief is they will keep him. 

A number of teams are looking to make a big move but there are only so many sellers and the prices are considered sky high. Poeltl is literally going for a 1st rounder. It's just not cheap. Same for Eric Gordon. Same for Saddiq Bey who is unproven. Orlando and Charlotte aren't even shopping anyone. 😒 

It's just a dead market. No surprise the teams shopping players are in the Wemby sweepstakes. 

Atlanta 

SA

Houston

Detroit

Toronto who is doing more listening than calling

Even Washington is buyers and have been very active with Atlanta with some of our players. 

In my opinion and everything posted from here on, Atlanta needs to hit a soft reset. This ain't really gonna work.

Five years - Three bottom 6 records. One ECF trip after being in the bottom of the NBA in the tankathon before ASB. One missing the traditional playoffs, they made the backend of the playin and had to play their way into the playoffs. This year, back in the top 10 of the tankathon. With Trae now getting so much money, our cap flexibility is limited but our needs stay the same. No owner is going to want to pay the LT for a pretender. No one unless they have a generational star and no, Trae is not that. He's not constantly 1st team All NBA. He's the reason why me and many others on here are banned from RealGM GB for defending him against mods and posters who are Trae haters. 

They need a deep team around Trae but stars who are compatible with Trae or they need to move on if they land Scoot. Can't move on with Murray, you will kill your fan support whereas Henderson will run Atlanta as much if not more than Trae and Trae star power will get a star back in return without 2nd thought for some teams lacking star power and give Henderson and his supporting cast, a nice boost and I do think Henderson and Murray can play and win next to each other but Atlanta would need to get a stretch 5 with the quickness. 

"No Trae is not that"

Agreed...

Edited by terrell

12 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

One of them has to go. We're almost 40 games into the season and they still play like crap together. 

Yep and I really dont care which one...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I'm not sure that's completely accurate. I think it's obvious we struggle the most when either of them is not in the game, obviously because our bench is perhaps the worst bench in the entire NBA. Trae is struggling with or without DJM in the game and DJM is pretty much putting up the same numbers he did last year (sans the assists).

But that's not to say I disagree we should trade one of them. This team is crap and we need to retool.

• Premium Member

CAPTION THIS....

image.jpeg

Dylan:  Hey buddy, she wants to go to the Lakers game tonight. 

Kristen:  I want to go see that Trae guy... he's so cute. 

Leonardo:  I spend all my money to make my hair look like this and you think a little guy with Bedhead is cute??

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Moreover, I might be the only one here (?) who was banging the drum early and often that we needed a legit 6th big... and still do.

Nope.  You are not alone.  This old man has been asking for the Hawks to trade for Mark Williams, rookie, on the Hornet's roster.  He's a center, 7' + and about 245 lbs.  They will not give him away - He was a 1st round pick last summer - but we might trade for him.

😉

• Premium Member

My favorite Hunter moments from the game was a tie between the play where he wasn’t paying attention and he let the pass go through his hands and out of bounds and a few minutes later the play where he just turned and threw the ball into the 2nd row with no Hawks player within 10 feet.

Baller.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, shakes said:

My favorite Hunter moments from the game was a tie between the play where he wasn’t paying attention and he let the pass go through his hands and out of bounds and a few minutes later the play where he just turned and threw the ball into the 2nd row with no Hawks player within 10 feet.

Baller.

Hunter contract is looking like another disaster for this regime. So many times he was getting lit up on defense, and we know his many limitations on offense.

He goes back and forth from having good games to lousy games with regularity. He really looked like he was tired, sick, high, or something... smh

Edited by terrell
  • Sad 1