• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets (7 PM EST) -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We heard a lot from the players and coaches that the focus on training camp was mostly geared to defense, so I guess the habitual Quin offense will take time.  Having said that we had too many wide open misses, gotta be better at those.

Fans been saying " the shots will fall" for like 3 years now and they just dont. Hunter isnt a good 3pt shooter, he's always wide open and cant hit. He'll never be a volume guy with that slow release... Bey is hot and cold. Trae just isnt a great 3 shooter even though everyone here thinks he is for some reason.... Bogi's shots will fall I do believe that. No one on the team made more than one 3. and only Jalen was over 30%. Truth is these guys that are "shooters" just cant shoot......

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Fans been saying " the shots will fall" for like 3 years now and they just dont. Hunter is a god awful 3pt shooter, he's always wide open and cant hit. Bey is super hot and cold. Trae just isnt a great 3 shooter even though everyone thinks he is. Bogi's shots will fall I do believe that. No one on the team made more than one 3. and only Jalen was over 30%. Truth is these guys that are shooters just cant shoot......

Yeah compared to other teams our shooters are average at best outside of Bogi.   Although Trae is a legit threat from 3 he just torpedoes his own % by taking bad ones.   He and Bogi are the guys you can't just leave open because they won't miss (usually).  I think Bey is legit but we'll see if he can do it for a whole season.  

To your point though. Starting DJ, Hunter, Bey or JJ right now isn't great 3 point shooting from those key positions.  And we have zero from the 5.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, terrell said:

Fans been saying " the shots will fall" for like 3 years now and they just dont. Hunter isnt a good 3pt shooter, he's always wide open and cant hit. He'll never be a volume guy with that slow release... Bey is hot and cold. Trae just isnt a great 3 shooter even though everyone here thinks he is for some reason.... Bogi's shots will fall I do believe that. No one on the team made more than one 3. and only Jalen was over 30%. Truth is these guys that are "shooters" just cant shoot......

The only outside shooters I truly believe in are good on this team are Bogi and AJ. Trae, DJM are average (talking about three point shooting not mid range let me be clear), Hunter is average and Jalen is bad. Young guys have a chance to improve. 

One of the reasons I wish we would trade for KAT. A true three level scorer who is elite on offense would see this team's floor raise so much.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, terrell said:

That isn't really true.

In 2021, we shot 37.3% from 3pt range.  (12th best)

In 2022, we shot 37.4% from 3pt range.  (2nd best)

2023 was really the craptastic year for shots not falling.  35.2% for 21st best.  Ugly.  We have to improve significantly year over year.  While I wouldn't expect to reach back into that 37.3% range, I do think moving up should be realistic if we run Snyder's offense.  It should create high quality shot opportunities.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We heard a lot from the players and coaches that the focus on training camp was mostly geared to defense, so I guess the habitual Quin offense will take time.  Having said that we had too many wide open misses, gotta be better at those.

I said it in the preseason but the point remains, the lack of shooting from the perimeter is the most concerning aspect of the team right now for me. I'm not suggesting they shoot sub 20%, but there's no guarantee that they shoot top half of the league either.  And by all accounts, they will be taking more this year than last.  There may be other issues that have a greater impact on W/L (like the hero ball stuff), but I'm of the opinion that that stuff with take care of itself over the course of the year.  The shooting, or lack of it, is what I've lost confidence in.  After last year, I'm not ready to just assume they'll be fine from the perimeter (and at the rim).   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do think moving up should be realistic if we run Snyder's offense.  It should create high quality shot opportunities.  

This is a good point.  The two go hand in hand.  While the "hero ball" nonsense doesn't completely explain the poor shooting, it probably makes it a lot worse than it really is because of all the bad shots taken.  If we work the ball and get good set shots the % will likely go up accordingly.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

This is a good point.  The two go hand in hand.  While the "hero ball" nonsense doesn't completely explain the poor shooting, it probably makes it a lot worse than it really is because of all the bad shots taken.  If we work the ball and get good set shots the % will likely go up accordingly.  

I see us as having a mix of guys who are good shooters and others who are weak perimeter shooters so there is a cap on how good I think we can be but we all remember how much better guys shot during our magic season under Bud where they were creating good looks for each other.  Saddiq Bey is a good example for me of how important that quality of shot selection can be when you look at his splits last year.  His % of corner 3's jumped way up when he came here and his % did the exact same.  It may or may not have coincided with hot and cold shooting by him but better looks should generate better numbers in the aggregate.

Game 1 was so bad that it would be a bad game even for the worst shooting the team in the league so I do think it will end up being an outlier regardless. 

57 minutes ago, AHF said:

That isn't really true.

In 2021, we shot 37.3% from 3pt range.  (12th best)

In 2022, we shot 37.4% from 3pt range.  (2nd best)

2023 was really the craptastic year for shots not falling.  35.2% for 21st best.  Ugly.  We have to improve significantly year over year.  While I wouldn't expect to reach back into that 37.3% range, I do think moving up should be realistic if we run Snyder's offense.  It should create high quality shot opportunities.  

Yeah no way we get back to those numbers with this specific group..

Gallo and Huerter helped... lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

Charlotte won 3 of 4 last season.  Opened the season there in a loss.  They still have our number!

In our losing cause, Hawks missed 6 free throws.  Lost the game by 6!

Atlanta also missed 24 three p;oint shots!  WOW!  And we only lost by those 6 free throws...

Hunter fouled out and Big 00 had five!  

:smug:

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, terrell said:

Yeah no way we get back to those numbers with this specific group..

Gallo and Huerter helped... lol

AJ for Huerter and Bey for Gallo replaces some of that but leaves us short of where we were.  On a minutes weighted basis it is more challening considering Huerter got a lot more minutes than AJ will and DM will get a lot of minutes with his subpar shooting.

Either way, we are better than we were last year with full years of both players and should be better still if the team buys into Quin's system.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Charlotte won 3 of 4 last season.  Opened the season there in a loss.  They still have our number!

In our losing cause, Hawks missed 6 free throws.  Lost the game by 6!

Atlanta also missed 24 three p;oint shots!  WOW!  And we only lost by those 6 free throws...

Hunter fouled out and Big 00 had five!  

:smug:

It’s your boy’s fault. I doubt they win without him.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

You REALLY went into the minutia of the deal. I don't care if the deal was 1 first rounder, Wemby and a layaway plan.  The Spurs won that deal and I trust THEM to win a chip before the Atlanta Hawks. I've been following this show in Atlanta since the late 1970s.  Teams like Golden State, San Antonio, Boston, Los Angeles, Miami, etc.  win chips, tear it down,  rebuild and win another while the Hawks can't even GET to the NBA finals and you gonna go into the minutia of what the Spurs did? lmao

There is exaggerations and there is outright being WRONG.  You sir are outright Wrong.

When Golden State could have torn it down and let Draymond walk and kept Poole.. what did they do?  They kept the core together. 

San Antonio kept their core together (Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili) until they all retired (well, they moved Parker because he was being a bitch. 

Boston's last championship was with KG, Allen, and Company.  They didn't tear it down... those guys left. 

Lakers... are the kings of reloading.  

When has Miami torn it down after a chip??  Explain it to me?

You mention teams that hold on to their stars until the stars decide to leave and talk about tearing it down....  

Can-you-believe-this-guy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

6 hours ago, terrell said:

Traes peak was his 2nd season IMO..

He'll never duplicate those numbers imo.. Especially shooting %'s..

He's pretty much been a bricklayer and turnover machine ever since..

I hope he makes me eat crow, but I just dont see much more upside with his size...

He had his most efficient season in year 4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

The only outside shooters I truly believe in are good on this team are Bogi and AJ. Trae, DJM are average (talking about three point shooting not mid range let me be clear), Hunter is average and Jalen is bad. Young guys have a chance to improve. 

One of the reasons I wish we would trade for KAT. A true three level scorer who is elite on offense would see this team's floor raise so much.

What's the hold up @Sothron

1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

what the... I love Hunter but if that's what it looks like I would want him traded.

We went on the magical run in 2021 AFTER we lost Hunter for the majority of the season. We dusted the Knicks with him, but our offense never really vibed. We upset the Sixers and went toe to toe with the Bucks WITHOUT Hunter.

His name is constantly on our lowest performing 5-man units.

I understand his talent and potential, but every version of the Hawks with Hunter in the lineup have under- achieved.

He may be that dude deep down, but it’s just not happening with us for whatever reason.

Hawks all time record with Deandre Hunter in the lineup: 94-113, .454%
Hunter out of the lineup: 55-46, .545%

• Like 2