• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks (Thursday)

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Can say enough how impressive it has been to see Murray and Hunter transition their games over the course of the season.  Yes, Quin has pushed them to be three point shooters, but you can see they've bought in and it has added a new dimension to their games and for this team.  They keep shooting them even when the shots aren't falling and it's slowly pushing other guys to play the same way.  Coaching matters.

46 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Honestly, I thought Snyder's impact would be felt at the beginning of the season considering he started early.  But it's really only lately that we seem to have started turning a corner.  

And, for the yokels that wanna tie it to a certain player's absence, I'm referring to a period starting when he was still playing. 

I posted an article awhile back about Quin's PhD offense and it taking players awhile to 'get it'.  And just a reminder that Quin installed his full system this offseason, not when he joined last year, yes he added tweaks, but pretty much kept Nate's stuff.

To Wes' point, they lacked consistency early in the season, most likely while trying to grasp all of the schemes.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He brought out his whole team.   Jrue and White.  The Celtics wanted to win this game Badly...  They are having a confidence problem now...  you can't lose to us twice and once when you really wanted to win... and realize that Atlanta is missing three high level starters and is playing G-League talent.  The result makes it obvious that we own the Celts. 

Right I mean even if they were trying stuff our and whatnot our team is depleted of NBA talent at multiple positions , should have still been able to win

• Like 1

I may be getting old but sometimes when I squint and watch DJ play and he’s on one 1️⃣ I see Mike…

image.gif.1b529c34e65f7089989e3e46c5a2de82.gif

@me don’t at me, either way I’m right here. Don’t let the grey hairs fool you…

• Haha 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He has a bonafide go to shot. His middy is one of the best in the game. 

As much as i don't like Trae/DJ on the defensive end it could work so much better than what we've seen offensively.   When we are playing with a lead, just feed  DJ this mid ranger all day long.  When you can afford to trade baskets it just keeps us ahead.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, swanlee said:

Trae and DJM are both young super talented players that work hard and will sacrifice for the team.

Their is no reason we cant make this work long-term.

The reason is they do not fit together on offense or defense.  Neither have good movement skills on offense, they both want to be the primary ball handler, and they both are high usage guards.  On defense, neither can be POA defenders and both need to be playing on the weakest shooter to be successful.  

Frankly, this game, if anything, was evidence of how much better Murray is without Trae on the floor.  We've seen the inverse be true as well -- and it shows up in the stats.  It's a completely emotional decision to want to retain the both and has zero evidence to support it.  Murray himself pushed hard to get traded this deadline... why would you guys want and argue to keep him, particularly given the flawed fit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The reason is they do not fit together on offense or defense.  Neither have good movement skills on offense, they both want to be the primary ball handler, and they both are high usage guards.  On defense, neither can be POA defenders and both need to be playing on the weakest shooter to be successful.  

Frankly, this game, if anything, was evidence of how much better Murray is without Trae on the floor.  We've seen the inverse be true as well -- and it shows up in the stats.  It's a completely emotional decision to want to retain the both and has zero evidence to support it.  Murray himself pushed hard to get traded this deadline... why would you guys want and argue to keep him, particularly given the flawed fit?

Let's see what the team looks like when(if?) Trae gets back. There's been a lot of improvements at other positions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aali34 said:

Hunter looks smoother then he's ever been, he might be a late bloomer type. With the level his jumper is now and how decisive and confident he's playing, I wonder if there's another gear he can get to. He will need to improve his handle and footwork to get there, but he's done a good job removing the gripes I was having with him so far.

Shoutout to the development staff.

Shoutout to giving Hunter the opportunity to be a 1st option.  The guy BEEN developed.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Quin Snyder is an elite head coach.  What he has been able to do with this team without his main players is remarkable.  His schemes are elite.  We are also seeing the fruits of the renewed emphasis on player development.  Look at how Vit is contributing.  Garrison Matthews is contributing.  These are guys that may not have a long term future on this team, but they are making winning basketball plays on the court.  

Quinn is the same guy he was 2 months ago when he looked horrible.  The difference is he HAD to open up the offense when Trae went down and the defense is now operating at full capacity.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Quinn is the same guy he was 2 months ago when he looked horrible.  The difference is he HAD to open up the offense when Trae went down and the defense is now operating at full capacity.

The increase in hustle on defense has been noticeable the last couple months.  Also the league stopping the ticky tack crap has helped us tremendously.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Guy's like Bruno, Vit and post injury Hunter were hungry and had the ability and comfort with the scheme to find their place.  It's been beautiful to see.

Honestly Capela has been much better since he got back into game shape too. 

I think Clint was having issues before because he only had a 0.7 WAR going into ASB. This is a player that usually gets a full point every 7 games and was getting a full point every five games in the ECF year. Some of this is Quin adjusting his scheme to fit the personnel of each player. Since he's done this, everyone has gotten better. No more square pegs in round holes. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Quin changed things up when Trae was still here in Jan. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

While this is true, they were having good moments in January together. So they were coming together even if they crashed and burned right before ASB as they got tired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The increase in hustle on defense has been noticeable the last couple months.  Also the league stopping the ticky tack crap has helped us tremendously.  

I think this has been the biggest boon for us, considering our whistle has not been friendly, to say the least.  Guys effort increase because they see the fruits of it now -- before increased effort just meant a quicker two foul calls on bullshit.  Let's hope the league continues to call games like they are now and equitably across all teams/players

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Quin changed things up when Trae was still here in Jan. 

This defense was horrible in January. If you said he changed it in January, the only change SINCE is Trae being out.

Edited by Hawkmoor

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Let's see what the team looks like when(if?) Trae gets back. There's been a lot of improvements at other positions.

When Young,Bey,and Johnson and OO went down defense has improved. When they return?