• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Bulls -- Play-In Game 1 of X!

lethalweapon3

5 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Too many times we focus on what the Hawks did wrong.  Half the time you just have to tip your hat to the opposition.  A reigning (deserved) First Team defender in Caruso, a questionable HOF candidate in DeRozan (46% per BB Ref), and a young, rapidly improving guard in White in a class of many who will give the Hawks fits for years to come trust me (Suggs, Anthony, Sexton, Pritchett, Ivey, Merrill, Podziemski, Wallace) is simply too much for the Hawks to handle, as both teams were without 3 key rotation players (Jalen. OO, Bey, LaVine, Ball, and Patterson all Top 100 players when healthy). With no leadership it’s simply impossible to play at a playoff level through injuries.

Anyway I enjoyed watching Bogi’s steady improvement, Jalen’s big jump, Dre’s career -best three point volume and shooting, & Bruno, Vit, and Methamphetamine Bogi finding their ways in the Association.

Good post. Didn't watch the game but I already knew this was the end. So i am not gonna react at all to this game for who played well and who didn't. I'll maintain the same thoughts I had once the RS ended. 

The big mistake in using one game to give terrible opinions is

1. Foolish things will be said

2. Perspective will be nil

3. It doesn't matter, we have a seasons worth of film. One game isn't going to decide that

I don't care what national fans say who barely watch the Hawks.

The big issue we both have, Bulls and Hawks are we are average teams with some promise. The Bulls have better fit, Hawks have more talent. Both teams are missing quality players. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The big mistake in using one game to give terrible opinions is

1. Foolish things will be said

2. Perspective will be nil

3. It doesn't matter, we have a seasons worth of film. One game isn't going to decide that

I don't care what national fans say who barely watch the Hawks.

The big issue we both have, Bulls and Hawks are we are average teams with some promise. The Bulls have better fit, Hawks have more talent. Both teams are missing quality players. 

Wrong.

Hawks have serious roster flaws and need some major changes. You really want to run this team back next year? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rule 1: Don't make the mistake you did against Miami. We had a bad series against Miami and our base decided we needed another ball handler to play with Trae. We ended up with Murray. That was a mistake just due to the cost. 

We got a seasons worth of tape. No opinions based on one game

Rule #2: This game doesn't matter in the grand idea of things. 

Rule #3: We need to be strategic. Simple as that. No moves to make a move. If you trade Murray, the value coming back needs to be of equal or better due to his good contract based on his production. Trading Trae should be off the table. We still got a lot of unfinished business with Trae. We need more size. Front court, back court, etc. We need more size. Too small with Trae. No trading anyone for pennies. We aren't at that stage, don't listen to those who low key hate us, because they don't have our best interests in their hearts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Wrong.

Hawks have serious roster flaws and need some major changes. You really want to run this team back next year? 

They don't have serious roster flaws. They have fit, size, and center issues. 

The roster is in better condition than the ECF run and 60 win run. We just got poor fits, size issues, and center issues. 

These are all fixable and that should be a priority. 

The ECF finals squad had a frontcourt of Dre, Gallo, and prime Atlanta CC with OO coming off the pine. Right now, we just don't got that size and OO doesn't fit under Quin as he did with LP and especially Nate. 

This team ain't far. Being a true contender, yeah but being a team like the Knicks or Cavs, naw, they aren't far at all. 

That center position is critical. We must come away with Edey or Clingan but Edey would help Trae the most as he's an elite Helper. Something Trae could have used against Ayo.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

this was laughable... At this point, time is against their side... 

We need some serious moves... defensive upgrades... pick a direction. I'm very unhappy with how things are right now.

Time to root for the PeliCan'ts to get put out.  They could be in for a reshuffling.  I get that they don't wanna part with Jones or Murphy but they may have to.  I'd take either as part of our defensive improvement moves.  Playing Ddufkin more is another step I wanna see. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

They don't have serious roster flaws. They have fit, size, and center issues. 

The roster is in better condition than the ECF run and 60 win run. We just got poor fits, size issues, and center issues. 

These are all fixable and that should be a priority. 

The ECF finals squad had a frontcourt of Dre, Gallo, and prime Atlanta CC with OO coming off the pine. Right now, we just don't got that size and OO doesn't fit under Quin as he did with LP and especially Nate. 

This team ain't far. Being a true contender, yeah but being a team like the Knicks or Cavs, naw, they aren't far at all. 

That center position is critical. We must come away with Edey or Clingan but Edey would help Trae the most as he's an elite Helper. Something Trae could have used against Ayo.

People saying we need to blow it up simply lack perspective and understanding of what they're actually seeing out there.

Man I sound like hotSupes, Jr.  Smh 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Trae and DJM need to be split.  Both guys had positive net ratings when the other was off the court and they were highly negative when both were in the court.  I’ve never seen them synergize.  One needs to go, imo.  As always, you need a real return on the trade but I think we are in trouble if those two are starting next to each other to start next season.

I agree. Quinn has had 100+ games to see this backcourt won’t work. Time to be proactive and fix this. 

• Like 2

Since this Hawk team were blown out in this, our final game of this season, I'm happy that it was not close.

Why?  Because there is no, we ought to have, we could have, we should have.

Now that this season has officially died, we can get on with plans with how to make next season more livable.  We have discovered over the last final games that we can't win with several major players not 100% and some not even available.

A win last night could have shifted our draft position.  This worry is no longer.  Planning for next season can now take 100% of our mind set.  No thought of what to do about that upcoming game.  So many things to think of and worry with are now facing our brains.  Who to keep.  Who to trade away.  Who to release.  Who to draft.  Do we really have any players on our present roster that are "must keep" for Atlanta to have a real winning NBA team?

All these things and many more will now become the hot topics here on the Squawk in the future months.  

Already looking forward to next season!!

GO ATL HAWKS !

:smug:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Trae and DJM need to be split.  Both guys had positive net ratings when the other was off the court and they were highly negative when both were in the court.  I’ve never seen them synergize.  One needs to go, imo.  As always, you need a real return on the trade but I think we are in trouble if those two are starting next to each other to start next season.

I agree, but like you said, the trade has to make sense. We cant sell one of these guys for .50 cents on the dollar. My guess is they end up running it back. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

"The sample size is getting larger and larger and larger and assuming you're looking at specific lineups, and defensive and offensive ratings, which can always be debated as well. 

Yeah, you're starting to see that more and more. And yeah I can't lie to you, the numbers speak to themselves on that. 

But we're also interested in, well, let's say they are on the court together, and based off the numbers, its not working out. 

48 minutes ago, kg01 said:

People saying we need to blow it up simply lack perspective and understanding of what they're actually seeing out there.

Man I sound like hotSupes, Jr.  Smh 

We do got some things to work with. Two talented guards, but both play the same position. One might need to be traded, but of course that depends on the offers. We also have an athletic, versatile young forward. 

You guys still trying to make murray and trae working is one of the funniest things ever. all the information is right in front of you on how that pairing doesn't work yet people still saying keep them because they don't understand what they gave up for murray doesn't matter anymore. It is the worst two man lineup on the team. They have a better win percentage and better net rating when one sits. Murray is gone

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Bruno Fernando, Wes Matthews, Garrison Mathews and a guy that played 73 NBA minutes in Mo......never for a second thought this would be what we have to trot out in an elimination game from the bench.

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

We do got some things to work with. Two talented guards, but both play the same position. One might need to be traded, but of course that depends on the offers. We also have an athletic, versatile young forward. 

Yeah.  Front office has some work to do.  We're not as far away as folks think. 

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You guys still trying to make murray and trae working is one of the funniest things ever. all the information is right in front of you on how that pairing doesn't work yet people still saying keep them because they don't understand what they gave up for murray doesn't matter anymore. It is the worst two man lineup on the team. They have a better win percentage and better net rating when one sits. Murray is gone

!!!

Cut us some slack tho.  It's more like we're just working with what we have.  

Give us a break, mikei.  Our hearts are still tender.  😢

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bruno Fernando, Wes Matthews, Garrison Mathews and a guy that played 73 NBA minutes in Mo......never for a second thought this would be what we have to trot out in an elimination game from the bench.

But folks out here complaining about our lead guy not being able to turn that shish into sugar. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

Perfect ending to the season.  Hawks finally went out and did what needed to be done.  Now let's focus on getting some lottery luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, shakes said:

Now let's focus on getting some lottery luck.

Got up this morning with a crazy thought that it's time for the Hawks to beat the odds and luck into the top pick. 9% chance to move into the top 4.  

soyouretellingmetheresachance-m.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1