• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Wizards at Hawks: GAME 6

lethalweapon3

1 minute ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Players have peaked early before. It's one playoff series.

When he averages 24/7 over the course of a full season I will say that I was wrong. Just like I admitted to being wrong about Prince.

People who averaged 24 points and 7 assists over the course of this season:
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
LeBron James

Don't think anyone is expecting Schröder to become that type of player.... I haven't seen it on this board or anywhere else. So I am really confused as to why you even bring it up. What people have issue with is you saying that this is the best he will ever play... Dude is 23 years old and it was his first playoff series as a starter. But props to you on your bold prediction of Schröder not becoming Westbrook, Harden or LeBron - how many people did you get to take the other side of that bet? I want some of that action also....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bankingitbig said:

How do you come to this conclusion? The guy is 23 years old and just had his FIRST playoff series as a starter. Oh and by the way, he actually put up 25/8 this series while shooting 43% on almost 7 3PA a game. Don't think anyone is expecting him to do that over the long haul. But it is nice to finally see a Hawks player step his game up in the playoffs, something we haven't seen in awhile. You don't extrapolate playoff performance and expect it over the course of an 82 game season.......... Oh and don't forget to mention he went up against one of the top PGs in the league. 

But people seem to think Dennis can lead this team somewhere as the best player or whatever. He can't. He will be the 3rd best player on a team with any kind of realistic championship aspirations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

for him to even suggest that Baze was more important than Dennis in this game is laughable. lol

No matter who like, Dennis was better than Baze in every game in this series. That is not a debate, but a fact.

Never said that Baze was better than Dennis, just that Dennis killed the rally with his stupid decision making...again.  

Last time I checked a three from each corner and a two from inside the three point line was three baskets.  It was during the catch up phase, in the 4th quarter.  I consider that to be down the stretch.  Ostensibly, you do not.  

We need a complete blow up.  It would be nice if we could get at least one really good player, but teams aren't going to give us much for any of our motley crew.  

Edited by Watchman

18 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Never said that Baze was better than Dennis, just that Dennis killed the rally with his stupid decision making...again.  

Last time I checked a three from each corner and a two from inside the three point line was three baskets.  It was during the catch up phase, in the 4th quarter.  I consider that to be down the stretch.  Ostensibly, you do not.  

We need a complete blow up.  It would be nice if we could get at least one really good player, but teams aren't going to give us much for any of our motley crew.  

Once again, Baze had two baskets for the entire fourth and both were early. You might be swapping out the Dennis three to cut it back to three with Baze.

Edited by Lurker

• Premium Member

Dennis can totally get better even if he never puts up 25 and 8 in a playoff series again or season for that matter.  He can become more efficient with his shot, improve his shot selection, manage the game better on both ends and get stronger physically and mentally.  Thing is, he got better with all of those things this year.  Because of how hard he works on his game, he'll get better.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 3

What did anyone really expect, Atlanta is just tightening it's grip on Losersville USA. It you can't be good be good at it. Cleveland has even left Atlanta in the dust now for Losersville. I just laugh at all this stuff since the Super Bowl. It took me 45 seasons of Atlanta sports to get like this.

Edited by Trout7

Had hoped fatigue would finally settle in on Wall and Beal with all those minutes every single game but it was quite the opposite. They destroyed us very late, we had an interesting run giving us a slight glimmer but their dog and pony show really showed up in the clutch. Don't see the Wizards letting that backcourt act breakup ever.

vor 18 Stunden, Hotlanta1981 sagte:

But people seem to think Dennis can lead this team somewhere as the best player or whatever. He can't. He will be the 3rd best player on a team with any kind of realistic championship aspirations. 

The thing you (and others) don't seem to grasp is that it is not "1st year starter, 23 year old, 17th's pick" Schröders problem if he is the best player on a team and can't carry them to the finals. It says something about the team and who put it together and not about Schröder (or Millsap, for that matter). Blaming (vastly) overperforming players for a teams struggles is idiotic.

Dwight Howard was 3rd on the team in the playoffs with a PER of 14.1, 5 of the 9 rotation palyers were below 10.

vor 17 Stunden, Watchman sagte:

How dare Schröder not play perfect for 48 minutes! You can'expect players to get you back into games without expecting them to make a few mistakes while doing so.

But I guess you would rather lose by 20+ points with your best players playing safe and conservative all game than having a fighter's chance to win the game...or prefer Matthew Dellavedova over James Harden, because that dude commits a turnover late in the game sometimes. (keeping in mind that Schröder had the 2nd lowest TO% of all players, the 3rd highest TS% etc.).

You can't pick and chose when players miss shots or makes a mistake and say "I'll take the 24 ppg and 7.5 apg on 59% TS% with only a TOV% 0f 7.4 (which is insane), but he also has to hit all important shots and never make a mistake during crucial stretches". This is not how it works.

Edited by kurupt
  • Like 2

Hard to fathom folks being so negative about Dennis after these playoffs. First year starter played consistently the best of all players on the team including Sap. Don't know what his ceiling is but saying we can't seriously contend with him as our top player in the future for us is just someone's individual prophecy. Hell, we don't know that he won't end up the best point guard in the East, who knows right now, nobody. Without his heart it would have been very, very ugly these past two weeks.     

• Like 4

It's like Dennis Schröder is the new DeMar DeRozan of the East with NBA twitter and a lot of Hawks fans. Such a polarizing figure and his game aggravates a lot of people, and I mean on both sides, not just the side of fans of this team.

His upside if he uses the tools he has better on the defensive end and gets better TO wise (hahahaha) is probably actually something similar to Mike Conley. I don't know that he gets so good with protecting the ball that he has similar low TO numbers to Conley, so it might be Mike Conley with 1 more turnover per game.

I also like to say both quarterbacks in the NFL and point guards in the NBA don't break out until age 25-29.

6 hours ago, kurupt said:

The thing you (and others) don't seem to grasp is that it is not "1st year starter, 23 year old, 17th's pick" Schröders problem if he is the best player on a team and can't carry them to the finals. It says something about the team and who put it together and not about Schröder (or Millsap, for that matter). Blaming (vastly) overperforming players for a teams struggles is idiotic.

Dwight Howard was 3rd on the team in the playoffs with a PER of 14.1, 5 of the 9 rotation palyers were below 10.

I didn't say it was his fault. I'm simply telling people that if they have expectations that he is going to be a huge piece for the future they might be expecting too much. Before you tell other people what they don't understand it would help if you understood yourself.

I will say that in Millsap's case... He is about to be one of the highest paid players in the league and so it will be fair to criticize him for not being able to lead this team deep into the playoffs. For the paycheck he demands he should produce the type of series he just produced.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

7 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I didn't say it was his fault. I'm simply telling people that if they have expectations that he is going to be a huge piece for the future they might be expecting too much. Before you tell other people what they don't understand it would help if you understood yourself.

I will say that in Millsap's case... He is about to be one of the highest paid players in the league and so it will be fair to criticize him for not being able to lead this team deep into the playoffs. For the paycheck he demands he should produce the type of series he just produced.

Oh, and by "huge piece" I'm talking about being one of the two top players. Just so there is no misunderstanding.

36 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Oh, and by "huge piece" I'm talking about being one of the two top players. Just so there is no misunderstanding.

You act like we are paying Schröder max money or something. You're completely missing the point with Schröder. The fact that we have a young PG that proved he can be a legit starter locked up until 2021 on a very reasonable deal is a huge positive. No one is expecting him to "lead" us to a championship. We obviously still need other key parts. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I think nearly everyone is very happy with Dennis' first season as a starter in its totality.  Some people look for every opening to snipe at certain players regardless of how they actually perform but I don't see how you could have asked for much more than he gave us.  Certainly, no rationale person could have asked for more from his first playoff series as the starter.

• Like 3