• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Celtics

lethalweapon3

31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

NC and @capstone21, huh? Explain by financial issues. I haven't heard anything of late other then Atlanta wants to make a run for the playoffs next year. 

This franchise is hyper-sensitive about maintaining "financial flexibility".     Cap broke down the monetary difference between a top 3 pick and a pick later down the line, and how our player salaries can impact free agent and player trade decisions for the Hawks.  If the Hawks aren't in love with a player that most feel will go in the top 3, dropping down a place or two isn't the end of the world for them.

Since people are talking about Mikal Bridges, maybe he's a player that the Hawks covet . . but wouldn't select if it had the #1 or #2 pick.

With Schlenk's background, I think his guy is Trae Young, since he'll compare him to Steph Curry.   If the Hawks obtained the #1 pick, they probably don't take Trae.  If they had the #5 pick, it makes it a lot easier to take him there.  Plus they may save a few million for the next few years, by selecting at #5 instead of #1.

Welcome to Tankanomics.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Damn son.

Didn't notice that he didn't even score after the 6 minute mark in the 4th.

There is no way I will be mad at Prince. The man showing me what I been seeing since an uptick in his usage. 20/5/5 is not out of the question. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This franchise is hyper-sensitive about maintaining "financial flexibility".     Cap broke down the monetary difference between a top 3 pick and a pick later down the line, and how our player salaries can impact free agent and player trade decisions for the Hawks.  If the Hawks aren't in love with a player that most feel will go in the top 3, dropping down a place or two isn't the end of the world for them.

Since people are talking about Mikal Bridges, maybe he's a player that the Hawks covet . . but wouldn't select if it had the #1 or #2 pick.

With Schlenk's background, I think his guy is Trae Young, since he'll compare him to Steph Curry.   If the Hawks obtained the #1 pick, they probably don't take Trae.  If they had the #5 pick, it makes it a lot easier to take him there.  Plus they may save a few million for the next few years, by selecting at #5 instead of #1.

Welcome to Tankanomics.

You could always trade back, but its best we get as high a pick as possible.

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Welcome to Tankanomics.

I can't lie. 

On my personal Hawks fit board. He's in the top 5. 

Here's my personal Hawks fit board: 

1. Bagley III - Why, offensively, he's perfect for what we need. Defensively, he can play in space but defend 1-5 in Bud's system. That alone has him as a my top prospect. 

2. Doncic- His potential in this system is the highest of anyone not named Bagley. While he's not a great shooter of yet, Bud will love to just tweak his release point and really turn him loose. Since the emergence of Prince, Doncic value isn't as high as it was for me at the beginning of the year where I said he's the best system fit for us but he is as high as anyone. 

3. Bamba - This is one system Bamba would develop extremely fast in although I think he could play in any system in general. Defends space well, moves well off the ball, shot is clear and just needs to be quicken, smart player who makes adjustments on the fly on offense which is rare for a freshman, blank canvas and can be special in this system. Due to Bud's defensive style, this system wouldn't expose his flaw of post defense which is a positive for him.

4. Mikal Bridges - Isolation is literally his only flaw in this system. With the rise of Prince. This is finally an EXCELLENT fit for Bridges. He could become a top 15 player in this system since we are one system that doesn't require you to be a natural shot creator. That said, for him to win titles, he will need an Batman which let's him be Robin. 

5. Ayton - Is he a fit in Bud's system. Maybe on defense but offensively. He will need some work. Needs to get better at playing off of the ball. I think his shot could be adjusted. But as a prospect, he's too much of an elite specimen to pass up on him. 

6. Miles Bridges - Not the passer Bridges is or the shooter, Miles is more of a straight line guy. He's probably my favorite prospect in this class as unlike Mikal, he's not a system player. He will be a clearly better pro than college player and I think he could have the Donovan Mitchell impact in this class. He reminds me a lot of Vince Carter. Not quite the dunker but VC wasn't the shooter out of UNC Bridges is. 

7. Sexton - Competitive is Bud's need for players in his system and no one in this class has more of it than Sexton. While he is not a complete player as of yet, he does a lot well and is a tireless worker. He can play on and off the ball as well. His shooting has potential but he's just a below avg shooter right now. His defense is special and Bud would love him as a Dennis replacement. 

8. Shai - Does so much well and has a good feel for the game. The system would benefit from a PG who runs the sets but can play off the ball and be as effective. A tireless worker and very grounded. 

9. Porter Jr. - While his fit is lower tier, his talent isn't. Bud would have to fit him into the system but he gives Atlanta an all around offensive superstar and he fits well with Prince. His position is ? mark and his defense needs a lot of help but he can move off the ball, score and do a lot of Kevin Durant stuff and shoot extremely well. I don't see him as a good fit but he's so talented, he made it at 9. 

10. JJJ is a good system fit. But his lack of overall impact at the next level is why I listed him at 10. Defends space well but isn't a good functional athlete is similar to Dedmon. Overall, Ratliff/Dedmon would be the goals for JJJ which is effective but as we see this season, can you really win with it? We are one of the worst teams in the NBA. It might not be the best case although it is effective. Overall, good system fit, just have impact concerns in general. 

Carter Jr isn't listed because of his lack of defensive versatility. Bud don't care if you aren't a good defender but you better be able to defend and play in space. 

Young defense is just too weak. Wouldn't fit. He projects as a weak man, team, weakside, and PnR defender. That's not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Welcome to Tankanomics.

Hate to say it cause I rather hold on to Dennis but I agree. I can see Schlenk saying he sees curry in young and taking him with 4-8 pick.

from there schlenk will begin his warriors imitation of the hawks rebuild.

Prince is Harrison Barnes in the eyes of Schlenk probably.

• Like 3

I get home from work and what do I find? The most indefensible win ever. This is stupidity!!! I am not a tank guy, but when you are officially this bad, do NOT continue to play Prince or anyone with a hot hand. All that really matters at this point is getting the highest lottery pick possible. If we don't want it, then trade down. Just don't screw up a horrible season by winning at the end. Wins mattered before the playoffs were decided. Now they are worse than meaningful. 

Sheesh!

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Welcome to Tankanomics.

I can't begin to unpack the nonsense above...but it suffices to say that management did not win today's game...Management would have preferred a loss. Secondly, the higher the draft pick the more control you have over the draft. Pretty simple concept.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

No team thinks like this.  It is beyond silly.  This team didn't blink on taking $24M in dead salary with Plumlee and Crawford to get a pick and prep the roster for tanking.

No team in history has wanted to to pass on the #1 pick for a #5 to save a couple million.  The value you could get just by trading down would easily outstrip any savings not to mention the historical returns on the #1 pick being worth way more than the money saved.

I'm totally on board with people wanting to win.  Don't agree but I can see the different perspective and agree to disagree.  This theory is the equivalent of a flat earth theory.  

As someone who is still cool with a number of people and maybe @Sothron, I've heard anything but this team aiming for more than a top pick. I really think Bud got the call to play to win due to liking our odds and probably to build up the moral for next season. That's all I can take away from this 

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, AHF said:

No team thinks like this.  It is beyond silly.  This team didn't blink on taking $24M in dead salary with Plumlee and Crawford to get a pick and prep the roster for tanking.

No team in history has wanted to to pass on the #1 pick for a #5 to save a couple million.  The value you could get just by trading down would easily outstrip any savings not to mention the historical returns on the #1 pick being worth way more than the money saved.

I'm totally on board with people wanting to win.  Don't agree but I can see the different perspective and agree to disagree.  This theory is the equivalent of a flat earth theory.  

Agreed.  The Hawks are not deliberately aiming for a lower pick because of salary reasons.  The late season wins are simply not smart and confirm that pride can, and many times is, foolish.

So what did this win do for the Hawks lottery situation?  It looks like they are 4th as of right now.  Orlando is going to lose tonight and by all accounts the Hawks should be no worse than 5th at the close of the season?  

So are the Hawks locked into fourth or fifth pick based on the standings or what is the likely scenario?

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

So what did this win do for the Hawks lottery situation?  It looks like they are 4th as of right now.  Orlando is going to lose tonight and by all accounts the Hawks should be no worse than 5th at the close of the season?  

So are the Hawks locked into fourth or fifth pick based on the standings or what is the likely scenario?

tiebreaker lottery