• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Yes Schlenk has made us cap flexible and versatile to go a number of ways with our assets.YE YE!!! 😊 

Exactly, I like this deal a lot better than 10/17 for 5. I hate the idea of trading that much for Culver. 10 + 2nd rounders and a bad contract is a better deal for us. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

Exactly, I like this deal a lot better than 10/17 for 5. I hate the idea of trading that much for Culver. 10 + 2nd rounders and a bad contract is a better deal for us. 

Oh, I was talking about getting up to #4 to make sure we grab our guy whether it’s Culver or Cam. @kg01 has been turning me onto Cam’s defense. I’d like to dissect that more in film 🎞. I’ve always wanted Cam but thinking he’s more of a Tmac clone but Tmac didn’t play defense so I gotta check Cam’s D a bit closer. Because if he indeed is great at D, and as smooth as he is on offense, superstar status isn’t far off.

2 minutes ago, DBac said:

Really sucks that the Hawks are having to contemplate a trade up. Wish they would've just had better lotto luck.

But at least they have the assets to make it happen if they need to.

One of Hunter, Cam or Culver (maybe not Culver) will likely be there at 8.I dont see the need to trade up unless it's for Barrett.

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

My issue with you on Cam isn't that you are wrong, it's just that he is a system player. We can talk about Draymond's value to the Warriors to the Hawks but for the Warriors, it's elite. We can talk about Austin Rivers with the Wizards compared to Rockets or Clippers with CP3 but he's a system player. He needs to be around a lot of offensive gravity to be as effective as he can be. 

For his Basketball limitations, he makes up for it with our personnel which plays to his strengths and can limit his weaknesses. Austin Rivers was one of the worst players in the league with Washington. With Houston, he was a quality rotation piece. Faried hasn't played mins in two years, joins Houston and is dropping double doubles instantly. 

Fit matters. Some players just can't join any team and be effective. 

I do think Atlanta I best case scenario for him. Atlanta is probably the best team in the lottery for a lot of these rooks 

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

I do think Atlanta I best case scenario for him. Atlanta is probably the best team in the lottery for a lot of these rooks 

Some of them. I don't think Atlanta is the best case for Culver long term or Hunter in general. 

I don't think it's the best fit for R.J. 

I question the offensive fit for Zion. 

The PG's don't fit the Hawks right now. 

Sekou game fits any system where they want him to be versatile and will give him time to develop. 

Jaxson best fit in the Hawks. Without question. That doesn't mean he is our best fit. 

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Some of them. I don't think Atlanta is the best case for Culver long term or Hunter in general. 

I don't think it's the best fit for R.J. 

I question the offensive fit for Zion. 

The PG's don't fit the Hawks right now. 

Sekou game fits any system where they want him to be versatile and will give him time to develop. 

Jaxson best fit in the Hawks. Without question. That doesn't mean he is our best fit. 

I agree with this list but I do think culver fits long term no problem (at least offensively) . I think you’re saying he doesn’t fit cause Huerter is on the team already playing the two so that automatically forces one of them (Huerter or Culver) to the 3. Culver is the only draftee that’s in the top 10 that puts us in this limbo or question of who the hell will play the SF or 3 position ? (more importantly who is going to play the 3 on a defensive perspective where other teams 3s are much larger than ours)

And that’s a good question to ask shall we trade up for Culver.

But offensively once chemistry is built between a young core of Trae, Huerter, Culver, Collins they will be excellent from a offense standpoint! This group can and will drop a great amount of points all while having the personnel in this particular  group of players to do it very efficiently as well.

Defensively though is my cobceeb with getting Culver (not cause Of his defense of course individually) but because we already know as hawk fans rolling out a small 3 is a disaster and unfair to the team . Perhaps there has been in house discussion to off set any potential issue like this by acquiring a very athletic center like a Bruno Fernando for example to go along with waiting for a few more off seasons to past for these young guys to get bigger and stronger.

last and I just wanted to throw this out there....I’ve read from a few different sources that many believe Culver has a good chance to grow to 6’8 or 6’9 and be playing at a completely different height than he is now (maybe like some Nicholas Batum type stuff)....I don’t know I just noticed that it’s been a thing that has circled around culver since I’ve been reading up on him.

I’m gonna go like this grading system wise. Top players, lotto possible only. This is if we HAD to take the rookie on the Hawks roster. ( isho) (in Spud’s humble opinion)

1. Zion: A+  Zion is an A+ for anyone but Atlanta was his best possible fit. His athletic and do it all game would get time to blossom without pressure due to Trae setting him up with easy looks. Lakers would have been a close second due to Lewhatever. 

2. Morant: B-  Star but small backcourt with Trae. We would lead the league in starting backcourt assists but get burned on D in the form of the dreaded small man post game.

3. RJ Barrett:  B  Starts at the 3 right away and makes us one of the 1/3 assist duo’s in the league. Get knocked to a B grade because of the ability to need the ball in his hands probably more than we’d like him too which takes away from Trae’s trusted hands.

4. Darius Garland: B- Again small backcourt with Trae that’s why the B- but the kid obviously great up around ball through his pops. 

5. Jarrett Culver : B+ Fits on at the 2 or the 3, pushing Huerter to the other spot. High IQ dude who as many have heard by now loves the game and lives in the gym. Will his game not only travel but progress to star level, I’m gonna say yes. Hard work trumps all specially with the talent he possesses. Good fit with Hawks. The fit gets a tiny knock due to size but the talent and IQ would be off the charts.

6. Deandre Hunter : B+ Fits in right away at the 3. Tenacious defender with a ready made body. Your prototype 3 and D. How much will he improve and is there a ceiling on his game? Regardless he fits with Atlanta. Our defense sucked and this kid would be coach Lloyd’s best friend on many nights even early in his career. He’s ready boy.

7. Coby White: C- He’s a talent but the mini backcourt would stink and @capstone21would hate our backcourt that’s a no go for me.

8. Cam Reddish: A+ Tied with Zion for best fit with Hawks. Comes in from day 1 and penciled in as our starting 3. He allows every important piece (Trae, Huerter, Collins) to remain in their respective positions as he fills in our departed Prince’s slot. If this was a fairytale it would be written by @NBASupes, @kg01 on down the line. I’d say 80% of us love him.

9. Sekou Doumbouya: A-  Big body 2 way  good looking prospect who has a nice stroke. He’s young and raw but did play in the euro league which is a man’s league. He definitely would be a nice project for the us to groom. He is that Schlenk shoot, dribble pass type of dude for sure. 

10. Brandon Clarke: B+ One of my fav prospects because as many of you know he was an SJSU transfer aka my alma mater. Go Spartans! Gonzaga has had some strong players come out but this guy is in the mold of a rebound and blocking machine. Imagine an Aaron Gordon type body running around making Draymond Green type defensive plays. That’s Clarke imo. The reason it gets a B+ is he’s a power forward and we have JC there. Have one of them play the center position would make us small but really really fun to watch. How many oops to Collins and Clarke. The C&C factory (trademark copyright) 

11. Rui Hachimura: B This kid is like as big as the Empire State Building -Fran Frascilla (wtf) It’s true he’s a condor. Long kid who is crafty and knows how to get to the line via amazing little scoop shots and goes about his business quietly. Sound familiar? Who wants another Paul Millsap on this team? I don’t mind at all. Oh by the way, instantaneous we add 127 million fans because he’s apparently the Zion of Japan. Sign me up!

12. Mfiondu Kabengele: A  One of my 4 fav prospects for us. Despite his lack of height for the center position at 6’10” he provides a motor like no other. He can block shots and rebound while playing the game like it’s his last one. I love players that play hard. At 250 pounds, the nephew of Deke would become one of Trae’s favs with all those vicious picks. Ouch! 

13. Jaxson Hayes: B- The fit grade with us is an A+ for him but like Supes said it’s a two way street. I just don’t love him as a prospect. Guys that can’t shoot well and don’t look like they might anytime soon can be schemed against easily in today’s league. He’s great around the rim and protects it well. Perfect fit next to Collins but no Hayes for me he can’t shoot.

14. Goga Bitadze: A- Again, much like the Cam scenario he comes in at the center position where we are obviously looking to upgrade in the next few seasons without disturbing the position of anybody else. The minus is for the unknown Euro big man. Ok there have been good ones no doubt, specially lately with the Joker leading the way, with some Nurk and Kanter as well. But there have been misses. Andreas Bargnani, I can’t stop KG! Fran Vasquez...Nikoloz Tskitishvili....Georgios Papagiannis.. need I say more? Yet @kg01 continues to drool 🤤.

15. Nassir Little: B- The fit is an A- due to position need because Prince is gone.  He is still only 6’6” despite a nice long wingspan. The physical ability to play defense as far as hands on an opponent is great. The schematic positioning of Nas, I’m worried about. If he gets burned on a back pick over and over because he turns his head, no amount of strength can combat that. We’ve seen it in Prince as well which is a reason Schlenk got rid of him. Would Nas rip the rim down on tons of highlights, most likely, would that give us a win at the end of the night, I’m betting Schlenk thinks not.

• Like 2

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-news-executive-says-everybody-is-lying-about-oregon-bol-bol/

“Be careful. Everybody is lying about Bol Bol,” one team executive told David Gardner of Bleacher Report. “Every team thinks they have him figured out. The ones who like him a lot are spreading negative rumors about him, and the ones who don’t want to draft him are propping him up.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m gonna go like this grading system wise. Top players, lotto possible only. This is if we HAD to take the rookie on the Hawks roster. ( isho) (in Spud’s humble opinion)

1. Zion: A+  Zion is an A+ for anyone but Atlanta was his best possible fit. His athletic and do it all game would get time to blossom without pressure due to Trae setting him up with easy looks. Lakers would have been a close second due to Lewhatever. 

2. Morant: B-  Star but small backcourt with Trae. We would lead the league in starting backcourt assists but get burned on D in the form of the dreaded small man post game.

3. RJ Barrett:  B  Starts at the 3 right away and makes us one of the 1/3 assist duo’s in the league. Get knocked to a B grade because of the ability to need the ball in his hands probably more than we’d like him too which takes away from Trae’s trusted hands.

4. Darius Garland: B- Again small backcourt with Trae that’s why the B- but the kid obviously great up around ball through his pops. 

5. Jarrett Culver : B+ Fits on at the 2 or the 3, pushing Huerter to the other spot. High IQ dude who as many have heard by now loves the game and lives in the gym. Will his game not only travel but progress to star level, I’m gonna say yes. Hard work trumps all specially with the talent he possesses. Good fit with Hawks. The fit gets a tiny knock due to size but the talent and IQ would be off the charts.

6. Deandre Hunter : B+ Fits in right away at the 3. Tenacious defender with a ready made body. Your prototype 3 and D. How much will he improve and is there a ceiling on his game? Regardless he fits with Atlanta. Our defense sucked and this kid would be coach Lloyd’s best friend on many nights even early in his career. He’s ready boy.

7. Coby White: C- He’s a talent but the mini backcourt would stink and @capstone21would hate our backcourt that’s a no go for me.

8. Cam Reddish: A+ Tied with Zion for best fit with Hawks. Comes in from day 1 and penciled in as our starting 3. He allows every important piece (Trae, Huerter, Collins) to remain in their respective positions as he fills in our departed Prince’s slot. If this was a fairytale it would be written by @NBASupes, @kg01 on down the line. I’d say 80% of us love him.

9. Sekou Doumbouya: A-  Big body 2 way  good looking prospect who has a nice stroke. He’s young and raw but did play in the euro league which is a man’s league. He definitely would be a nice project for the us to groom. He is that Schlenk shoot, dribble pass type of dude for sure. 

10. Brandon Clarke: B+ One of my fav prospects because as many of you know he was an SJSU transfer aka my alma mater. Go Spartans! Gonzaga has had some strong players come out but this guy is in the mold of a rebound and blocking machine. Imagine an Aaron Gordon type body running around making Draymond Green type defensive plays. That’s Clarke imo. The reason it gets a B+ is he’s a power forward and we have JC there. Have one of them play the center position would make us small but really really fun to watch. How many oops to Collins and Clarke. The C&C factory (trademark copyright) 

11. Rui Hachimura: B This kid is like as big as the Empire State Building -Fran Frascilla (wtf) It’s true he’s a condor. Long kid who is crafty and knows how to get to the line via amazing little scoop shots and goes about his business quietly. Sound familiar? Who wants another Paul Millsap on this team? I don’t mind at all. Oh by the way, instantaneous we add 127 million fans because he’s apparently the Zion of Japan. Sign me up!

12. Mfiondu Kabengele: A  One of my 4 fav prospects for us. Despite his lack of height for the center position at 6’10” he provides a motor like no other. He can block shots and rebound while playing the game like it’s his last one. I love players that play hard. At 250 pounds, the nephew of Deke would become one of Trae’s favs with all those vicious picks. Ouch! 

13. Jaxson Hayes: B- The fit grade with us is an A+ for him but like Supes said it’s a two way street. I just don’t love him as a prospect. Guys that can’t shoot well and don’t look like they might anytime soon can be schemed against easily in today’s league. He’s great around the rim and protects it well. Perfect fit next to Collins but no Hayes for me he can’t shoot.

14. Goga Bitadze: A- Again, much like the Cam scenario he comes in at the center position where we are obviously looking to upgrade in the next few seasons without disturbing the position of anybody else. The minus is for the unknown Euro big man. Ok there have been good ones no doubt, specially lately with the Joker leading the way, with some Nurk and Kanter as well. But there have been misses. Andreas Bargnani, I can’t stop KG! Fran Vasquez...Nikoloz Tskitishvili....Georgios Papagiannis.. need I say more? Yet @kg01 continues to drool 🤤.

15. Nassir Little: B- The fit is an A- due to position need because Prince is gone.  He is still only 6’6” despite a nice long wingspan. The physical ability to play defense as far as hands on an opponent is great. The schematic positioning of Nas, I’m worried about. If he gets burned on a back pick over and over because he turns his head, no amount of strength can combat that. We’ve seen it in Prince as well which is a reason Schlenk got rid of him. Would Nas rip the rim down on tons of highlights, most likely, would that give us a win at the end of the night, I’m betting Schlenk thinks not.

So if you had the #2 pick, you would take Reddish?

Nah . . . no way.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So if you had the #2 pick, you would take Reddish?

Nah . . . no way.

I don’t think you read the headliner at the top. This is based on if the Hawks absolutely had to take any of these rookies, then what grade would they receive based on the fit with the Hawks.

Not sure when I said that I would take Cam if I had the 2nd pick? 

39 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Starting to feel the best prospect in the draft not named Zion or a point guard are the following

1) Jarrett Culver ( Although I wouldn't trade up for him)

2) Jaxson Hayes

3) Sekou Doumbouya

4) Goga Bitadze

5) Brandon Clarke ( I list Clarke last because he is a bit of a duplicate of John Collin although he might be better than Collins)

I am not high on Reddish or Little although I would stomach Hunter if Schlenk went in that direction. Reddish is just too bad of a finisher around the rim.  Only one player has been worse than him drafted in the top 10 in 20 years.  Despite what many have said, there is huge upside with Hayes...The guy has grown over 10 inches over the last 2 years. Goga is so skilled already that he reminds me of Jokic who I love!. Clark was the 2nd best player in college last year. Sekou is a physical freak of nature. 

Oh I forgot to dog Barrett...He is a wannabe #1 with no agility what so ever.  He is like a one read running Quarterback!  And it does help that he isn't good at shooting. Stay away!

Mostly agree with this, except I'm not huge on Clarke unless we think he can play the 3. Also not huge on Hayes because he duplicates a lot of what Collins gives us offensively, just not as well. Defensively he's interesting.

I think I'd go:

1) Goga

2) Hunter

3) Sekou (worry about his fit with Collins)

4) Culver, I guess? Maybe Clarke?

I like that Claxton kid, too.

I got an update this morning after texting last night that I'll be in meetings all afternoon and let's talk for 5.  

He talked about AD, he said the feel is AD will be a Laker. It's just for how much. He couldn't get exact opinions because of the hours. 

He said Atlanta been open to trading 10, you already know the deal. 

I did ask about 10/17 for Culver, he said it's unlikely as Cleveland likes Culver. He did say that Cleveland is looking to move back if Culver goes #4. Said they like Porter Jr, Bol, Cam, Hunter, Sekou all on the same tier and like Hunter more but they want a workout with Hunter but he's not accepting a workout for no one and Reddish has refused to give his records to Cleveland nor meet with them. They like Bol and Porter Jr. more from what he says and they want players who want to be in Cleveland. He thinks they will trade down to 10/17 if Culver isn't available. 

He said PHX is happy af Garland will be at #6. They made a promise to him but so did the Lakers at #4. They had him at 4 and a major dropoff afterwards. 

Said Charlotte and Minny is actively trying to move up. MIN for White and CHA for Culver and said the word is CHA is shopping #12 and a top 5 protected pick next year that got everyone interested. He said, if NO gets the pick and trades it, he thinks CHA will get it. I asked him about the details of Minny, he didn't have any at this time but it's not a lottery pick + 11 like CHA. Maybe a player package he would imagine. I think we talked about this before if I remember right but I can't remember...

Last thing I asked was if CLE had a choice, what would it be, 10+17 or #12 and 1st next year? He said, 10+17. Cleveland likes some guys a lot and they really like Porter Jr. and Bol. He said, they been hush hush but the word is Cleveland wants him. Said, he doesn't think he will last to #26. 

I didn't get to ask if Atlanta would get 5, would they flip it again for 12 and top five protected 1st. 😞 I should have. 

He was the one that told me if Atlanta gets #3 for 8/10, they would flip it with Cleveland for an unprotected 2020 1st and #5. So don't doubt we are beyond making a trade to make the trade we really want. 

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheFuzz said:

Mostly agree with this, except I'm not huge on Clarke unless we think he can play the 3. Also not huge on Hayes because he duplicates a lot of what Collins gives us offensively, just not as well. Defensively he's interesting.

I think I'd go:

1) Goga

2) Hunter

3) Sekou (worry about his fit with Collins)

4) Culver, I guess? Maybe Clarke?

I like that Claxton kid, too.

None of these guys have to be in the starting line up while their on their rookie contracts so I'm good with duplication of skills/position like Culver and Clarke.  BPA since we have so many picks

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Why do you say that Hayes can't shoot?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I didn't get to ask if Atlanta would get 5, would they flip it again for 12 and top five protected 1st. 😞 I should have. 

He was the one that told me if Atlanta gets #3 for 8/10, they would flip it with Cleveland for an unprotected 2020 1st and #5. So don't doubt we are beyond making a trade to make the trade we really want. 

Why would it be necessary to trade with trade with say an LA and then trade with Cleveland.  Couldn't Cleveland just offer LA the same deal being offered to the hawks?

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do you say that Hayes can't shoot?

Because he can't shoot.  What's not clear, Peo?

Seriously though, he's one of the dudes that will make shots in workouts but not in games.  Then folks say, "Bwah, well that's just because TX didn't want him to shoot.", which is just excuse making.

I don't see why anyone would still want Hayes when Bruno Fernando proved he was a better athlete at the combine.  That along with a tremendous character, aggressive/elite rebounding, and he shot 77% from the stripe which shows he has shooting upside.  Bruno would be an excellent rim runner lob target for Trae.  And a strong presence inside allows Collins to roam more and play to his strengths as a rangy 4, without sacrificing the offensive board.