Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nets (Game 1 of 2)

lethalweapon3

• Admin
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

True to a point. The bench couldn't hold the leads we had during the course game. Gallo definitely would have helped there, maybe extend the lead.  Nets bench outplayed ours.

Down the stretch we needed stops but we also didn't score.

I think Gallo is an important piece but my point has been the utter lack of D tonight is unacceptable.  We gave up 145 points ... that just can't happen again.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

I think Gallo is an important piece but my point has been the utter lack of D tonight is unacceptable.  We gave up 145 points ... that just can't happen again.  

I agree that the defense was lacking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's just not true, even diehard Mavs fans say he has on excess weight and isn't in basketball condition. 

You think he's gained 20 lbs? I would assume billionaire Mark Cuban has a team of dieticians and trainers keeping a close eye on his weight and body fat %. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

You think he's gained 20 lbs? I would assume billionaire Mark Cuban has a team of dieticians and trainers keeping a close eye on his weight and body fat %. 

I made no mention of any specific weight gain, but you can look at him and see he looks 'chunky' from the bubble games. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I made no mention of any specific weight gain, but you can look at him and see he looks 'chunky' from the bubble games. 

He just refuses to be as "critical" of Luka as he is of the team he's rooting for.  I've never seen someone simply refuse to just watch someone and like damn, he's out of shape.  Out of shape isn't about JUST weight.  He can carry a few extra pounds and still be productive.  The Luka we are seeing right now is far from Bubble Luka.  No idea how he got out of shape so quickly.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

He just refuses to be as "critical" of Luka as he is of the team he's rooting for.  I've never seen someone simply refuse to just watch someone and like damn, he's out of shape.  Out of shape isn't about JUST weight.  He can carry a few extra pounds and still be productive.  The Luka we are seeing right now is far from Bubble Luka.  No idea how he got out of shape so quickly.

Actually, I have been on record saying the Mavs are overrated and I'm not high on this years team. Take a look at their roster, it's pretty meh. 

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Actually, I have been on record saying the Mavs are overrated and I'm not high on this years team. Take a look at their roster, it's pretty meh. 

Nah, we are talking specifically about Luka here. Mavs fans, Luka, the media have talked about his conditioning, yet you are talking about you don't see it. 

If one of us were defending a Hawks player like that, we'd be called a homer. 

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Nah, we are talking specifically about Luka here. Mavs fans, Luka, the media have talked about his conditioning, yet you are talking about you don't see it. 

If one of us were defending a Hawks player like that, we'd be called a homer. 

I thought you meant gained a lot of weight. I didn't notice it if he did. If he's has been lacking energy on the court Ill take your word for it. Only game I saw was the Clippers game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I thought you meant gained a lot of weight. I didn't notice it if he did. If he's has been lacking energy on the court Ill take your word for it. Only game I saw was the Clippers game.

If you don't trust us, trust what the guy says about himself.  Burd posted his quote.  Whatever resources Cubes put towards keeping him engaged have failed.

On another note, there's a thread on Rgm that's completely insane ranting about Trae's foul-drawing.  It's pretty hilarious.  I guess after torching the Nets, casual fans got a glimpse of things and got in their collective feewings.

• Haha 3

Just now, REHawksFan said:

This was a really weird game to me defensively.  On the one hand, I thought there were moments of ELITE defense by individuals. JC on Durant. Cam on Durant a few different times. Even Trae on Kyrie a couple of times.  But then you look and see they gave up 145 points.  I'm not making excuses at all.  They absolutely cannot give up 145 points and expect to win most nights - until you realize they took 100 shots because of the insane pace. So honestly, the 145 points can be a bit misleading. 

For context, the Nets took 100 shots and avg 1.45 pps.  By comparison, the Heat beat the Bucks 119 to 108 last night.  The Heat scored 119 pts on 82 shots for a 1.45 pps.  The Hornets beat the Mavs 118-99.  They scored 118 pts on 84 shots for a 1.40 pps.  And finally, the Clips held the Blazers to 105 pts last night. But that was on 76 shots for a 1.38 pps.  

If the Hawks had lost 116 to 114 with both teams taking 80 shots instead of 100 shots would the conversation still be about bad defense?  I'd argue there's little difference in the two scenarios.  Pace matters, right?

We gave up a lot of second chance points especially when Capela wasn't on the floor. We also did that against Detroit 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

On another note, there's a thread on Rgm that's completely insane ranting about Trae's foul-drawing.  It's pretty hilarious.  I guess after torching the Nets, casual fans got a glimpse of things and got in their collective feewings.

Yeah that's the twitter troll.   "Trae draws cheap fouls"   WTHeck?   Unbelievable the hate toward this guy.  I know all stars have some level of hate but this is absurd.  And he isn't doing anything Harden, Kyrie, Dame don't do.  He does it better a lot of the time though.   

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

This was a really weird game to me defensively.  On the one hand, I thought there were moments of ELITE defense by individuals. JC on Durant. Cam on Durant a few different times. Even Trae on Kyrie a couple of times.  But then you look and see they gave up 145 points.  I'm not making excuses at all.  They absolutely cannot give up 145 points and expect to win most nights - until you realize they took 100 shots because of the insane pace. So honestly, the 145 points can be a bit misleading. 

For context, the Nets took 100 shots and avg 1.45 pps.  By comparison, the Heat beat the Bucks 119 to 108 last night.  The Heat scored 119 pts on 82 shots for a 1.45 pps.  The Hornets beat the Mavs 118-99.  They scored 118 pts on 84 shots for a 1.40 pps.  And finally, the Clips held the Blazers to 105 pts last night. But that was on 76 shots for a 1.38 pps.  

If the Hawks had lost 116 to 114 with both teams taking 80 shots instead of 100 shots would the conversation still be about bad defense?  I'd argue there's little difference in the two scenarios.  Pace matters, right?

The Pace of that game was insane.  You are absolutely right.   The indicator that the defense wasn't great was how well they shot the ball but both teams shot incredibly high %.  The 145 points is overblown though as you pointed out.   A few bone headed plays at the end cost us the game.   But KD and Kyrie are tough covers.   In the end they beat us. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If you don't trust us, trust what the guy says about himself.  Burd posted his quote.  Whatever resources Cubes put towards keeping him engaged have failed.

I participated in that thread. You know when you're winning, trolling is so much easier.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The Pace of that game was insane.  You are absolutely right.   The indicator that the defense wasn't great was how well they shot the ball but both teams shot incredibly high %.  The 145 points is overblown though as you pointed out.   A few bone headed plays at the end cost us the game.   But KD and Kyrie are tough covers.   In the end they beat us. 

Don't want to sound like I'm complaining about the game too much.  I was incredibly pleased with the performance out of our guys for the most part.  I thought going into the game they had the 2 best players and generally speaking in the NBA, the team with the superstar players wins more often than not.  The fact that the Hawks led nearly the entire game and really controlled the game for the most part all the way until their superstars took over was impressive I thought.  

Our guys just need to learn how to make those late game stops against guys like KD and Kyrie.  Most teams don't have those superstars though so most nights the Hawks offense will just overwhelm teams despite suspect defense.  

Hawks held the Bulls to 1.19 pps, the Grizz to 1.20 pps, and the Pistons to 1.22 pps. All games they won comfortably due to elite offensive efficiency.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Don't want to sound like I'm complaining about the game too much.  I was incredibly pleased with the performance out of our guys for the most part.  I thought going into the game they had the 2 best players and generally speaking in the NBA, the team with the superstar players wins more often than not.  The fact that the Hawks led nearly the entire game and really controlled the game for the most part all the way until their superstars took over was impressive I thought.  

Our guys just need to learn how to make those late game stops against guys like KD and Kyrie.  Most teams don't have those superstars though so most nights the Hawks offense will just overwhelm teams despite suspect defense.  

Hawks held the Bulls to 1.19 pps, the Grizz to 1.20 pps, and the Pistons to 1.22 pps. All games they won comfortably due to elite offensive efficiency.   

There was a lot to like and take away for the rematch tomorrow. 

• Like 2