• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat (Sunday)

lethalweapon3

I get the feeling that the Falcons won't be drafting a QB this year. It's probably time, but I feel like they really want to see if they can help Ryan out by TRYING to implement a better running game and shifting back to a WCO. Not sure what that will mean for the draft, but the running game theory would mean that trying again with OL to see what works would be very possible. 

Then if you go through the 2021 season and he hasn't improved, then you possibly go for a QB (and maybe do so regardless with 2022).

Oh yeah, and this game (was watching yesterday, just didn't want to comment):

🤮

Oh I agree we really miss Hunter..But last year it was Collins suspension getting most of the blame..This year its Hunter being out..This season we still have Trae/Collins + Capela..Which should be enought to beat bad teams if Trae and John are who they think they are...

Edited by terrell

1 minute ago, terrell said:

Oh I agree we really miss Hunter..

Then why do you keep making posts equating Trae to the lack of winning? And why have you said the Hawks should move on from Trae as if they'd be better without him?  They were winning when they had Trae AND Hunter.  They were a Top 10 NBA team when they had Trae AND Hunter.  

Do you think they would be winning if they had Hunter without Trae?  

4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Then why do you keep making posts equating Trae to the lack of winning? And why have you said the Hawks should move on from Trae as if they'd be better without him?  They were winning when they had Trae AND Hunter.  They were a Top 10 NBA team when they had Trae AND Hunter.  

Do you think they would be winning if they had Hunter without Trae?  

Read the entire post. And Hawks were blowing games to Knicks/Hornets etc..when healthy..

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, terrell said:

Oh I agree we really miss Hunter..But last year it was Collins suspension getting most of the blame..This year its Hunter being out..This season we still have Trae/Collins + Capela..Which should be enought to beat bad teams if Trae and John are who they think they are...

It's not enough when the supporting cast around those three guys is probably the worst supporting cast in the league by a country mile. We have no starting caliber wings, the only decent wing is Heurter and he is one of the worst defensive players in the entire league. Our bench is non existant, Gallinari is our sixth man and he has been one of the worst players in the NBA... we don't have a single playable backup PG, Solo is our only backup wing. We could literally field a team of G-leaguers and it wouldn't be substantially worse. 

3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

It's not enough when the supporting cast around those three guys is probably the worst supporting cast in the league by a country mile. We have no starting caliber wings, the only decent wing is Heurter and he is one of the worst defensive players in the entire league. Our bench is non existant, Gallinari is our sixth man and he has been one of the worst players in the NBA... we don't have a single playable backup PG, Solo is our only backup wing. We could literally field a team of G-leaguers and it wouldn't be substantially worse. 

What did SGA have the other night? I couldnt name 3 players on OKC..lol. What does SExton have in Cleveland who owns us?

Edited by terrell

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Read the entire post. And Hawks were blowing leads to Knicks/Hornets etc..when healthy..

It doesn't matter who they think they are.  The only thing that matters is who they are when healthy.  Even what they are now is of less importance unless you think they'll always be without Hunter, Bogi, etc... 

They were a top 10 NBA team that didn't know how to close out games.  They were still learning that.  I'll not argue that point.  They were 9-8 in games where Trae and Hunter both played and probably should have been 12-5 in those games.  So?  Young teams blow leads while they are learning how to win.  They were still winning enough to be above .500 which would put them as a Top 4 seed today in the East.  

That's my point.  Trae IS a winning player and it's not Trae that's causing them to lose as much as they are.  So I'm a bit baffled with all the "move on from Trae" and "he's not a winner" and "worst team in the NBA with him" talk.  There's an actual reason for their play of late and it coincides exactly with Hunter getting hurt.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

What did SGA have the other night? I couldnt name 3 players on OKC..lol. What does SExton have in Cleveland who owns us?

OKC is 14-20

Clev is 13-21

They are literally in the same boat as us.  That's hardly a valid rebuttal.  

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

It doesn't matter who they think they are.  The only thing that matters is who they are when healthy.  Even what they are now is of less importance unless you think they'll always be without Hunter, Bogi, etc... 

They were a top 10 NBA team that didn't know how to close out games.  They were still learning that.  I'll not argue that point.  They were 9-8 in games where Trae and Hunter both played and probably should have been 12-5 in those games.  So?  Young teams blow leads while they are learning how to win.  They were still winning enough to be above .500 which would put them as a Top 4 seed today in the East.  

That's my point.  Trae IS a winning player and it's not Trae that's causing them to lose as much as they are.  So I'm a bit baffled with all the "move on from Trae" and "he's not a winner" and "worst team in the NBA with him" talk.  There's an actual reason for their play of late and it coincides exactly with Hunter getting hurt.  

"Trae IS a winning player"..Based on what? Hes a 6'0 ball dominant pg who cant defend anybody..(Did you see what Jalen Fkn Brunson did to Trae)? Thats was hard to watch....  I hope youre right btw....

• Premium Member

"Trae IS a winning player"..Based on what? Hes a 6'0 ball dominant pg who cant defend anybody..(Did you see what Jalen Fkn Brunson did to Trae)? Thats was hard to watch....  I hope youre right btw....

Who do James Harden and Kyrie Irving defend exactly? They are both awful defensive players. Trae doesn't have to be a good defensive player for us to win, as is evidenced by early on in the year when the team around him wasn't abysmal. 

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

OKC is 14-20

Clev is 13-21

They are literally in the same boat as us.  That's hardly a valid rebuttal.  

OKC tanked and blew us out..With Trae Collins Capela healthy. Thats all Im saying..Not to mention they play in the West..

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Who do James Harden and Kyrie Irving defend exactly? They are both awful defensive players. Trae doesn't have to be a good defensive player for us to win, as is evidenced by early on in the year when the team around him wasn't abysmal. 

Trae isnt as good as those guys..lol.. Harden has size..Kyrie is basically 50/40/90 player..And one of the best closers ever.

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

Based on what?  Based on the fact that when they put quality players around Trae, the team won.  It was an extremely limited sample size, but it's all we have to go on right now.  

The Hawks were Top 10 statistically in the NBA with a 9-8 record with Trae and Hunter both playing (regardless of else did or did not play).  Just those two together produced a winning record and top 10 team.  And that's despite blowing at least 3 games that they led in the 4th.  

All I'm saying is it seems a bit over the top to decide that Trae isn't a winning player (2.5 seasons into his career) based on 2 NBA seasons where the team actively tried to lose and half a season where they were winning until injuries happened.  That doesn't strike me as a logical or rational thought process.  But that's just me. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, terrell said:

Wings that attack and score.  We're all saying the same thing.   Trae/Collins/Capela is great but we aren't going to win if there is little or negative contribution from Kevin/Snell/Solo/Gallo/Rondo

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Hawks don't have a closer....Not this year anyway..

Hawks don't have a closer when teams double Trae and remove him from the equation and force someone else to beat us - guys can't hit an open shot or create a play for themselves.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Wings that attack and score.  We're all saying the same thing.   Trae/Collins/Capela is great but we aren't going to win if there is little or negative contribution from Kevin/Snell/Solo/Gallo/Rondo

Seeing them bunched together makes me ill. What a season depending on these guys.