• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at heat (Sunday)

lethalweapon3

37 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It doesn't matter who they think they are.  The only thing that matters is who they are when healthy.  Even what they are now is of less importance unless you think they'll always be without Hunter, Bogi, etc... 

They were a top 10 NBA team that didn't know how to close out games.  They were still learning that.  I'll not argue that point.  They were 9-8 in games where Trae and Hunter both played and probably should have been 12-5 in those games.  So?  Young teams blow leads while they are learning how to win.  They were still winning enough to be above .500 which would put them as a Top 4 seed today in the East.  

That's my point.  Trae IS a winning player and it's not Trae that's causing them to lose as much as they are.  So I'm a bit baffled with all the "move on from Trae" and "he's not a winner" and "worst team in the NBA with him" talk.  There's an actual reason for their play of late and it coincides exactly with Hunter getting hurt.  

Look, I’ve always been on the Luka side of "the trade" but the fallout of not getting Luka is just beginning..

Heads will roll trying to make Trae work here. LP will be fired, Collins will likely be traded, and probably some other dire consequence (maxing Trae early) before we accept that he's just not a plausible (not impossible I guess…) best player for a contender. That's my stance..Again, I hope Im wrong..

Edited by terrell

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Who would have thought taking the second best player in a historically strong draft would lead to this much destruction?   We're doomed!!!

Second "most talented" Player..

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

Look, I’ve always been on the Luka side of "the trade" but the fallout of not getting Luka is just beginning..

Heads will roll trying to make Trae work here. LP will be fired, Collins will likely be traded, and probably some other dire consequence (maxing Trae early) before we accept that he's just not a plausible (not impossible I guess…) best player for a contender. That's my stance..Again, I hope Im wrong..

You should have just lead with "I preferred Luka so I'm never going to be happy with Trae"  and we could've saved a ton of time.  Oh well.  Nice talking.  

At the end of the day, you use a whole lot of supposition without actual evidence (in terms of Trae playing with legit players instead of marginal NBA players) and while you may end up being correct, I guess I'm willing to see how it plays out with actual, NBA caliber players around Trae.  What little we've seen has been extremely positive so far, but there's not been enough of it.  

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

You should have just lead with "I preferred Luka so I'm never going to be happy with Trae"  and we could've saved a ton of time.  Oh well.  Nice talking.  

At the end of the day, you use a whole lot of supposition without actual evidence (in terms of Trae playing with legit players instead of marginal NBA players) and while you may end up being correct, I guess I'm willing to see how it plays out with actual, NBA caliber players around Trae.  What little we've seen has been extremely positive so far, but there's not been enough of it.  

Oh Im not giving up on the guy..I want him to prove me wrong..I definitely want to see all of our guys(healthy) with a new Coach before I give up on anyone..

Edited by terrell

10 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

"Never going to be happy with Trae"..Why would I say that? Id love to be wrong about Trae Young..Hes the pg of my favorite team..lol

Edited by terrell

Just now, terrell said:

Oh Im not giving up on the guy..I want him to prove me wrong..I definitely want to see all of our guys with a new Coach before I give up on anyone..

I just looked this up:

The number of games the Hawks have played with their "Top 7 players" entering the year (Trae, JC, Clint, Hunter, Cam, Bogie, and Gallo) is exactly ZERO.  

The closest they've come:

Game 1 (20-pt win @ Chi) where Capela was out. 

Game 3 (8-pt win vs Det) where Capela was out

Game 4 (4-pt loss to Nets) where Gallo went out 3 min into game

Game 5 (18-pt win vs Nets) where Gallo was out

Game 6 (5-pt loss to Cavs) where Gallo was out

Game 7 (5-pt loss to NYK) where Gallo was out

Game 8 (8-pts loss to CHA) where Gallo was out

Game 15 (18-pt win vs Min) where Bogie was out

Game 17 (9-pt win vs LAC) where Bogie was out

Game 18 (4-pt loss to Nets) where Bogie was out

Game 19 (16-pt win vs Wiz) where Bogie was out

11 games where 6 of top 7 players were available. Hawks were 6-5 and we'd both agree 3 of 5 losses they should have won.  

The point is, when this team is healthy (or even just not obscenely injured) they have a chance to be pretty good.  The only question is how bad will it get before they get healthy.  

12 minutes ago, terrell said:

"Never going to be happy with Trae"..Why would I say that? Id love to be wrong about Trae Young..Hes the pg of my favorite team..lol

He just seems to be the go to whipping boy every time they lose.  And you have equated him with not winning when it's pretty obvious that other players have more to do with not winning than Trae does.  So that's why it doesn't seem like you are happy with Trae.  And then when you said you wanted Luka instead of Trae, it made all of the above make sense.  Apologies if I misinterpreted your posts.  

1 minute ago, AHF said:

It was Spud saying he was great earlier today that likely did it.  The old kiss of death.

I don’t know who did it or what they did but I’ll never get a chance to thank them. I’m just happy it’s done however it happened. It was dragging us down as a franchise. It had me digging into coaches for the Hawks from the 50’s to find a lower win percentage. Guy’s names I can’t even pronounce.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t know who did it or what they did but I’ll never get a chance to thank them. I’m just happy it’s done however it happened. It was dragging us down as a franchise. It had me digging into coaches for the Hawks from the 50’s to find a lower win percentage. Guy’s names I can’t even pronounce.

The winning % doesn't mean as much to me because the plan was to lose a LOT the last two years.  A good coach would have executed the plan and lost a bunch before this year.  What he did this season was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  Lots of missed opportunities and too many things that made no sense yet kept happening anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We all love Trae. It's just reality is finally hitting "US". Sure, NBA fans been saying what we are now saying but it's taking us more time because we are so invested into this team and we are more passionate and we see when Trae looks amazing too. But the reality is, is he becoming more of a D'Angelo Russell type impact wise or is he getting close to Iverson. We know Iverson was single handedly winning games and a lot of them. LeBron as a 2nd year player was carrying the Cavs. Maybe we don't got what we thought we had after his rookie year. It's not the end of the world, shit, we didn't trade our future lottery picks, thank goodness. But it makes us think what is this that we really have in Atlanta? 

Depending on how the Falcons draft and choose at #4, we could move to the 3rd brightness future in Atlanta behind the Braves and the Falcons. Land of those 4 primetime QBs, the Falcons could be looking extra sweet in 2022. 

Hang in there brother. Trae is an amazing, unique all world talent and he has that has fiery competitive spirit which can’t easily be replaced. He will make everyone eat crow sooner or later. I am with Trae til the end and wont turn on him even if we don't win. I still love the Hawks first and foremost but Trae is special. He will get it done. 

• Thanks 1