• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Knicks Rd1 - Playoffs Series 2021

JTB

30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What a beating Charlotte took.  Rosier 0-9 from 3, Graham 1-7 from 3, LaMelo 2-6.

We cannot have this type of production from 3 from ANYBODY.

We need to start out playing inside and Trae has to control his TOs to start the game.

That was hard to watch. I couldn't fathom the feeling of being a Hornets fan right about now. To go out like that???

• Like 3

Never had any interest in this Knicks squad.  Thibideau is the unquestioned defense whisperer but beyond field goal percentage against ain’t nothing too notable in their profile, dead last in pace.  I even liked Randle better as a role-player  paint bully.

Almost fully healthy, if we protect the glass and the rock like we been doing it should be a comfortable 4-2 series win.  Mitchell Robinson is a huge loss for them; one of the few guys who can bang and range with Capela.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JTB said:

Awwwww yes! I believe the year was 2010. Playoffs vs Magic, semifinals....when I tell you it felt like we lost by 50 everytime....

Maaaaannnnnnnnnn talk about having no hope 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2010-nba-eastern-conference-semifinals-hawks-vs-magic.html

You don't have to remind me, I watched all four games and felt worse after each one of them.

Years ago when he was still working for ESPN, Bill Simmons wrote a column that he dubbed the 'levels of losing' that I still have a copy of and rewrote into my own version. Level IX is the Full-Fledged Butt Kicking...

Level IX: The Full-Fledged Butt-Kicking
Definition: Sometimes you can tell right away when it isn't your team's day. ... And that's the worst part, not just the epiphany but everything that follows -- every botched play; every turnover; every instance when someone on your team quits; every instance when a key player on your team goes to the bench and puts a towel over his head; every "deer in the headlights" look; every time an announcer says, "They just can't get anything going"; every shot of the opponents celebrating; every time you look at the score and think to yourself, "Well, if we score here, force a turnover, and get the ball back in good field position, maybe we'll get some momentum," but you know it's not going to happen, because you're already 30 points down with less than three minutes remaining. ... You just want it to end, you need for it to end, you loudly pray to the Lord himself for it to end and…

IT

WON’T

END.

But you can't look away. ... It's the sports fan's equivalent to a three-hour water boarding session. 

This is what we experienced in that Magic series, only that it took four games for it to be official. At least it ended quickly for Hornet fans...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

INTIMIDATION !!

NY has one great card in their deck and I expect them to play it often.  In every game.  We are constantly being told by those "talking head experts" that NY in 6 is their belief.  We're constantly reminded, "It doesn't make any difference BUT remember, NY won all their regular season matchups.

Then, they remind us again, as we must go to their house to play, "We have home court edge because we beat you three times already and you haven't beat us yet."

NY expects to double team Trae and shut him down for the entire series and they believe that all the other Hawks will be so nervous, facing the great Knickerbockers, that they will be unable to get their shots to fall.  NY has a very good defensive team.  Their answer to a King James type player is Julius Randle.  He will attempt to run over and thru the Hawks defense and score many, many points along with a bucket full of assists as the pitiful Hawks just melt away.

INTIMIDATION!  If NY has their way, they would have the Hawks simply roll over and play dead.  Only problem is, Atlanta has some pride and expect to take all this, NY in 6, and use some of this to inspire the now mostly healthy team from down south to stand up in Yankee land and fight.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:hi:

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

16 minutes?!? I figured it wouldn't be much given the different time periods where Bogi and Hunter were out but 16 minutes?!?

Speaking of minutes for 5-man lineups:  

The Hawks have four 5-man lineups with over 100 minutes on the season.  They are:

1. Young / Huerter / Reddish / Collins / Capela - 194 minutes - NETRTG of -5.8
  2. Young / Huerter / Snell / Collins / Capela - 182 minutes - NETRTG of +11.8
  3. Young / Bogie / Snell / Collins / Capela - 113 minutes - NETRTG of +6.4
  4. Young / Bogie / Huerter / Collins / Capela - 112 minutes - NETRTG of +21.8

The Knicks have 5 such lineups.  Here they are:

1. Payton / Bullock / Barrett / Randle / Noel - 554 minutes - NETRTG of -4.6
  2. Payton / Bullock / Barrett / Randle / Robinson - 395 minutes - NETRTG of +1.9
  3. Rose / Bullock / Barrett / Randle / Noel - 145 minutes - NETRTG of +15.8
  4. Rose / Quickley / Burks / Toppin / Gibson - 139 minutes - NETRTG of +19.5
  5. Rose / Bullock . Barrett / Randle / Gibson - 106 minutes - NETRTG of +14.4

For the Hawks, with Reddish out and Snell likely to see a reduced role, their top lineup that will actually be used in the playoffs only logged 112 minutes for the season.  That's incredible.  The good news is that this is the lineup with the highest net rating so that's encouraging.  

For the Knicks, check out Lineups 1 and 3 above and tell me why Thibs is hellbent on playing Payton so many minutes.  Everything I read says it won't change in the playoffs, but I can't imagine how that is possible. They are so much better with Rose compared to Payton.  Also, their top lineup logged more minutes that the Hawks top 3 lineups COMBINED.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

For the Knicks, check out Lineups 1 and 3 above and tell me why Thibs is hellbent on playing Payton so many minutes. 

I think the answer is that he needs Rose to finish the game so he has to have someone to start it.  Plus Payton has a better chance of slowing down a hot start from the opposition even if he's a negative on offense.  

Randle has logged a ton of minutes this season, Rose and Gibson are ancient by nba standards.  We'll see if that has an effect. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think the answer is that he needs Rose to finish the game so he has to have someone to start it.  Plus Payton has a better chance of slowing down a hot start from the opposition even if he's a negative on offense.  

Randle has logged a ton of minutes this season, Rose and Gibson are ancient by nba standards.  We'll see if that has an effect. 

I'm very interested to see how much energy the Knicks have and if they level up for the post season.  I'm skeptical for sure.  

As for Payton, his net rating is -11.0 and he avgs about 50 possessions per game.  So they are giving up 5.5 pts on average just by sending him out there.  In a tight playoff series, that's a lot.  

3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm very interested to see how much energy the Knicks have and if they level up for the post season.  I'm skeptical for sure.  

As for Payton, his net rating is -11.0 and he avgs about 50 possessions per game.  So they are giving up 5.5 pts on average just by sending him out there.  In a tight playoff series, that's a lot.  

I dunno, man.  Energy and effort are their 'thing'.  It's why their record is what it is, over anything else imho.  Folks point to Thibs and his defense and all that.  I disagree.  They're a team, like Thibs, that valued every game.  In the regular season, that wins you games just because a portion of your opponents (us included) eventually tap out effort-wise.

One of the legacies of this current era is the 'regular season means nothing' mindset.  The bad thing is even scrubs think like that now, to the detriment of the game overall.

I'm not saying they're a bad team or anything like that, so I hope that's not what folks are hearing in my words.

I expect them to bring energy.  I hope we can match.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I hear you but i think this is still Thibs MO and it's worked this year.   You get on the court playing D.   They can't play Rose the whole game and I'm guessing Thibs doesn't like Quickly on D.    Not sure what's up with Frank but guessing he's worse than Payton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I dunno, man.  Energy and effort are their 'thing'.  It's why their record is what it is, over anything else imho.  Folks point to Thibs and his defense and all that.  I disagree.  They're a team, like Thibs, that valued every game.  In the regular season, that wins you games just because a portion of your opponents (us included) eventually tap out effort-wise.

One of the legacies of this current era is the 'regular season means nothing' mindset.  The bad thing is even scrubs think like that now, to the detriment of the game overall.

I'm not saying they're a bad team or anything like that, so I hope that's not what folks are hearing in my words.

I expect them to bring energy.  I hope we can match.

Perhaps I worded that poorly.  I'm not saying they won't have energy, I'm questioning / skeptical about them creating MORE energy in the postseason than they've shown all year.  I'm with you on that being their "thing" this year.  I think they are a hard working, tough team that plays every game like it's a playoff game.  But my point is they did that this year and beat a depleted Hawks team by 5, 11, and 10 (in OT).  So what happens when they face a healthy Hawks team that has increased their energy and focus because it's the playoffs?  I'm skeptical that the NYK can raise their level of play to match the Hawks.  

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is the starting lineup I use in 2K. I’ve played the Knicks several times now. 2K is very telling about how teams matchup. I think we matchup well. Special this starting core. 

16 minutes and we ended up 5th in the East? Geez, we are a deep team. That’s our projected started SG and SF combined for 16 min??? That stat is crazy.

• Like 1