• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Knicks at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We lost by 9 points and got nothing from guys like Kev, Gallo, Lou, Wright, etc.... 

We can look at Solo and TLC but truth is we have enough weapons to win these games, they all just fizzled out.

If we make our free throws and Gallo hits just a couple of his wide open 3's, we pull out that win.
Think of how many missed shots we had and it was still just a 3 possession game in the end.

We can hold on while we wait on Cam and Bogi.

+1000 to this. The Hawks still had guys more than capable of putting the ball in the basket. They just missed wide open shots.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It is very clear the NBA went out of their way to try and sabotage the Hawks season this year. Our schedule is straight out of hell.

It will catch up to them in the end. Just like last season. We got it handed to us up until that 8 game road trip. After that, we were able to cruise to the finish line. 

Just have to weather the storm until things even out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

My fear with the new NBA rules and the ref's 'let em play' attitude this year that it is to favor teams like the Knicks and Heat.   And so far it looks that way.   Hawks are going to have to figure out how to get more physical.   I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to do it in the sixers and knicks series last year but it's not really natural for any of our top guys to play that way.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, macdaddy said:

My fear with the new NBA rules and the ref's 'let em play' attitude this year that it is to favor teams like the Knicks and Heat.   And so far it looks that way.   Hawks are going to have to figure out how to get more physical.   I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to do it in the sixers and knicks series last year but it's not really natural for any of our top guys to play that way.   

The Best team in the League GS hasn't gotten more physical.   What they have done is learned to execute better.   That's what we have to do.   That means that when the shots aren't falling, we don't start hoisting up bad shots but we have to learn to go inside. Our High post pick and roll is one of the best in history.   Yet, we settle for three point attempts most of the time.   The three pointer is great and can be a back breaker but I would like to see us sprinkle in more PNR and less of the hero ball. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The Best team in the League GS hasn't gotten more physical.   What they have done is learned to execute better.   That's what we have to do.   That means that when the shots aren't falling, we don't start hoisting up bad shots but we have to learn to go inside. Our High post pick and roll is one of the best in history.   Yet, we settle for three point attempts most of the time.   The three pointer is great and can be a back breaker but I would like to see us sprinkle in more PNR and less of the hero ball. 

Yeah that's true.  We can't be something we're not.  I'd say Draymond and Iggy play more physically than anyone on our team though.   And when you have the best scorer in the league it helps.  

23 hours ago, Sothron said:

It is very clear the NBA went out of their way to try and sabotage the Hawks season this year. Our schedule is straight out of hell.

For anyone thinking you're being a homer with this, I'll state it a different way.  The league very clearly gives certain teams the benefit of the doubt when scheduling.  That's not debatable.  Could it be due to TV scheduling?  I'm sure that's part of it, but certain teams do not get consistent b2b's, 3-in-4 nights, etc.  The Hawks aren't one of those teams, thus it can't be disputed that the league pooped on the Hawks from a scheduling perspective.

20 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I thought this was true early on, but these "physical" teams aren't doing much better than us.  Plus guys like Randle has been impacted more by the rules since he's not that good to begin with.  Got no counters so no-calls = no production.  Heat are tapering off, as I expected.  Same with the 'Zards.

I'm glad to see we've righted the ship, to a large degree.  Now we just have to weather the injuries.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah that's true.  We can't be something we're not.  I'd say Draymond and Iggy play more physically than anyone on our team though.   And when you have the best scorer in the league it helps.  

No Doubt. 

But I watched them play Detroit without Iggy, Draymond, and Steph.   They won handily.   Same Detroit team that took Lebron, Westbrook, and AD to overtime.    The won against Detroit with execution and defense. 

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

No Doubt. 

But I watched them play Detroit without Iggy, Draymond, and Steph.   They won handily.   Same Detroit team that took Lebron, Westbrook, and AD to overtime.    The won against Detroit with execution and defense. 

Any team can beat any on a given night. It’s 1/82 games. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

No Doubt. 

That says more about the Lakers to be honest. They’ve only won one game this season by double digits. Every win during our win streak was by at least 10 and we hadn’t  been playing up to par until recently. 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Any team can beat any on a given night. It’s 1/82 games. 

Yeah.. but there's also an eye test.    When you see a team executing plays consistently through those 82 games, it's no longer about being able to win by the odds of playing an 82 game schedule,  it's about being better than the other team on the floor.   Your same reasoning is what some people believe is behind our run to the conference finals last year.  It kind of takes away from what we actually accomplished with hard work and team work. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Yeah.. but there's also an eye test.    When you see a team executing plays consistently through those 82 games, it's no longer about being able to win by the odds of playing an 82 game schedule,  it's about being better than the other team on the floor.   Your same reasoning is what some people believe is behind our run to the conference finals last year.  It kind of takes away from what we actually accomplished with hard work and team work. 

Ok but how does that factor away from any team being able to beat any team on any given night? I guess I’m just not understanding what we are debating here.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok but how does that factor away from any team being able to beat any team on any given night? I guess I’m just not understanding what we are debating here.

Because saying any team can beat any team on any given night... sounds nice but is not true.   When Jordan/Pippen and Company won 72 games...  It was clear that they were not going to lose to any old team.  It would take a great effort from a talented team to beat them.  We've said this crap about any team can beat any team on any given night so much that we've started to believe that it's true.  It's not.  Matchups and situations wins games.  Period.  Usually, the better team wins... and if they don't win.. either somebody got hurt.. somebody didn't play well... or somebody had a game that nobody can explain  or... they were not the better team based on matchup. 

Last night, the Suns beat the GS Warriors.  Sure Steph had a bad game.. but the Suns are not just anyteam.  They are partly the reason why Steph had a bad game.   They are going to go back to the drawing board and do it again on Friday and the Suns may win again. 

When we beat the Knicks soundly in our playoff series.. did you get the notion that we were just any team winning on any given night... or did we win because we were the better team based on matchup?  Let me help you here.  Our Defense nullified Randle.  Still does.  Only Rose could step up and he wasn't enough... and Trae was winning his matchup.  There was a whole lot of out coaching and out playing that went into us winning.   That's usually the case when a team wins. 

The Knicks that we played the other night are a better team.   They went out and got Fournier.  He's damn good.  We had two of our rotational players to go down.   The odds were in the Knicks favor.   This was not an any given team on any given night deal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Last night, the Suns beat the GS Warriors.  Sure Steph had a bad game.. but the Suns are not just anyteam.  They are partly the reason why Steph had a bad game. 

Ok so based on your philosophy, the Warriors shouldn’t lose to a crap team again right. So only teams that are on par with the Warriors should beat them. The Suns and maybe another 3 or 4 teams right?

Ill come back to his when the Warriors lose to a random crap team.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ok so based on your philosophy, the Warriors shouldn’t lose to a crap team again right. So only teams that are on par with the Warriors should beat them. The Suns and maybe another 3 or 4 teams right?

Ill come back to his when the Warriors lose to a random crap team.

By my philosophy... if the warriors lose to a crap team.. there's a reason.

1.  Somebody was injured.

2.  Somebody had an off game. 

3.   Somebody played out of their mind.

4.  Crap team has a matchup advantage.

But The Houston Rockets are not just going to outplay the Warriors absent any of those 4 things.  If talent didn't mean victories, nobody would care about winning the lottery. 

• Haha 1