• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Hornets

lethalweapon3

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

JC isn't the best fit here because he's too small considering our small backcourt and this isn't a player movement team. This is a ball movement team. 

The Trae/JC PnR is our best PPP play but it leads us to our worst W/Ls. Whereas Trae/Capela PnR works and our offense is best with it. Trae floater is primarily used with Capela screens.

I have noticed that lately Trae's lobs to JC are too low and usually result in a turnover.  Do you suppose it is intentional?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

I have noticed that lately Trae's lobs to JC are too low and usually result in a turnover.  Do you suppose it is intentional?

I suppose it's just bad passes. What's more noticable is JC is getting beat by small guys on the block. Oubre was literally the one player he made paid on post ups.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

But here is the question, do you think we have what it takes to get back to ECF?  Right now, I think we will be in the play in as long we are still playing like this, but you have to think long term. 

I haven't doubted our ability to be an elite team when healthy.  The problem was that we were not healthy.  Now, we're close to healthy... but just imagine this team.. playing this way and Bogi coming in and shooting near 42% (last year he shot 43.5% but since AHF think it was a hot streak, ill drop some percentage).  Who could stand before us?

The problem has been that people saw our struggles while key players were injured... while most of the team was out with COVID protocol and they started to believe that last year's run and Playoffs were a Fluke...  I don't see it that way. 

Starting the season, I said teams have gotten better.   I think I mentioned, Chicago, NY, and Miami.  I didn't even know about Cleveland.   Still... they have all had their time of being healthy and looking good.  Now is our time.  We have a great ditch to dig ourselves out of but if we can finish 5th or 6th.. I like our chances to go back to the ECF. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I suppose it's just bad passes. What's more noticable is JC is getting beat by small guys on the block. Oubre was literally the one player he made paid on post ups.

I contend that if the lob is high enough, very few people in the league can out jump JC.

20 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

But here is the question, do you think we have what it takes to get back to ECF?  Right now, I think we will be in the play in as long we are still playing like this, but you have to think long term. 

This team could beat everyone when connected. Thing is, this is the first time we been connected all year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

JC isn't the best fit here because he's too small considering our small backcourt and this isn't a player movement team. This is a ball movement team. 

The Trae/JC PnR is our best PPP play but it leads us to our worst W/Ls. Whereas Trae/Capela PnR works and our offense is best with it. Trae floater is primarily used with Capela screens.

You have to realize that our Cap/Trae PNR work so well because JC is out of the lane. 

Your first argument was defensive.  Let's talk defensive..

When we have Hunter and OO  or Hunter and Cap on the court, we don't need a Big PF.   They cover the backcourt. 

We had issues before because Bogi has been playing injured (IMO) and his latteral movement is crap.   Kev has stopped fouling everybody and playing better defense so we dont get beat on Mismatches.  Today's game showed that.

LeMelo is 6'6"

Bouknight is 6'4"

Oubre  is 6'6"

They should have been able to easily dominate us with their size.  LeMelo loves to post up and dunk on Guards.  BUt what happened?

I think LeMelo finished with 20 points.  They couldn't take advantage of our size.   And DeLon gets in the game for Kev and he's locking folks up. 

Tonight our offense was very balanced and our defense was tremendous.. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Gallo has real value for us. We shouldn't just trade him for the sake of making a trade.

I'm full fledged Stand Pat right now.   I don't see anything that will make us much better than we are right now. 

I mean there are dreams..

but  as far as what has been rumored... nah...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

First you implied that wings can't play with Trae.

Now JC isn't a fit? I think his offensive versatility is exactly why he fits - yes yes he isn't a play making PF - but he still has enough variety to offense to keep defenses honest.

The Trae/CC PnR works best since JC can spread the floor. With the Trae/JC PnR Cap and his man is in the paint, more difficult to execute with more bodies in the paint.

I didnt just imply that, I said Trae's game benefits bigs based on his career metrics so far. I went passed implying it. I had data as proof. 

I didnt say he wasn't a fit. I said I don't think Atlanta is his best fit. He's a fit but is he the ideal fit? No. I don't believe he is. Too small. We don't run enough or any actions for him, and so much of his defense can be nullified if he's guarding someone really athletic or really big. 

I do believe JC being is a big who stretch the floor helps spacing. You have no disagreements from me on that. 

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who exactly would we target with Gallo and a 1st.

He's still here. There's your answer 

Just now, marco102 said:

That's better in his role right now.....

He's still here. There's your answer 

24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You have to realize that our Cap/Trae PNR work so well because JC is out of the lane. 

Your first argument was defensive.  Let's talk defensive..

When we have Hunter and OO  or Hunter and Cap on the court, we don't need a Big PF.   They cover the backcourt. 

We had issues before because Bogi has been playing injured (IMO) and his latteral movement is crap.   Kev has stopped fouling everybody and playing better defense so we dont get beat on Mismatches.  Today's game showed that.

LeMelo is 6'6"

Bouknight is 6'4"

Oubre  is 6'6"

They should have been able to easily dominate us with their size.  LeMelo loves to post up and dunk on Guards.  BUt what happened?

I think LeMelo finished with 20 points.  They couldn't take advantage of our size.   And DeLon gets in the game for Kev and he's locking folks up. 

Tonight our offense was very balanced and our defense was tremendous.. 

This was a bad dap post from @JayBirdHawk

this wasn't even a good post. 

The Trae/Cap PnR works with Gallo at the 4, Okongwu at the 4, and most of our guys at the 4 because it puts a center in a situation where he has to guard Trae Young. Even when we had Okongwu out there who isn't a floor spacer, Trae was passing to him for either a dunk or Okongwu would pass it to an open 3 shooter and we were successful with it. There is a reason we went from top 15-20 offense with 1/4 PnR to top 3 offense and the ECF with the 1/5 PnR. JC don't set screens.

He damn near slips everything like Al but Al was vicious on the short roll passing and his decision making was superb to where it was an elite play not just for PPP but for creation as well. JC hadn't mastered that yet nor has come close. 

Yes we do or JC wouldn't be getting into foul trouble. It's still a collective effort, what the hell are you even talking about?

Kev still making the same mistakes he always makes, it's still the bigs that have to cover for it. The biggest difference is Kev making those mistakes as 3rd options is much different than making it against the best player on the other team. 

I have zero clue what you are even talking about right here. This is why I ignore 99% of your post. I only read this because Jay liked it and after reading it. @JayBirdHawk, extremely bad choice to dap this post.

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who exactly would we target with Gallo and a 1st.

18 minutes ago, marco102 said:

That's better in his role right now.....

I said this wrong. He's attached for a 1st. I was wondering why you guys were acting shocked.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HawkingAwesome said:

I thought yall said knox had 2 left feet and needs a gps to find his eh es es

No one said that. Knox is a talented player. He wasn't the 9th pick for no reason. Kevin issue is what we continue to see. He makes a lot of mistakes. Missing assignments, poor communication, poor awareness. That said, he can make some special plays. Like his weak side block last game or the steal he had in this game where his length was a major plus. Also his dribble to the lane dunk which was impressive for a guy with his height. He's like the anti Solomon Hill. He's talented. Has a tremendous frame and body. But his awareness, decision making, feel for the game, and BBIQ is bad. Real bad. He can help on both ends. He's a unique talent for sure. He clearly much better here in Atlanta. We don't ask him to do much offensively and he's fitting in well. Defensively, it's tough but I see him playing very hard.

Edited by NBASupes