• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Playoff Game Thread: Hawks at heat -- GAME 2

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Aw, come on guys.  The refs called a great game.  Anyone remember the great foul call when one of the Hawks, Collins I believe, Hit Jimmy Butler squarely in the elbow with his chin?  Jimmy got two free throws out of that one.

:sun:

I feel for poor Jimmy.

I don't always punch people in the face but when i do, it hurts my hand -  The Most Interesting Man In The World | Meme Generator

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

When compared to the Hunter running under the basket hands up trying to get out of Jimmy's way and Jimmy makes brush contact is a foul. It isn't about is it a foul or not. If Hunter's is a foul, Vincent's is a hard foul. The real problem in the game last night was in the consistent 2 way whistle.  If I had a wish, it would be for fans in the ATL to show up with signs all over the arena or to wear shirts that said, "Call the game fair!".  Just all over the arena, signs and shirts.

I've thought about this a lot and my wish is for the Hawks to play with the same physicality as the Heat, all game long.  I want to see Heurter, Hunter, Bogi, OO all foul out.  It would make headlines if we had like 3 players foul out.  It would force a narrative around the refs and the refs would not like that.  My guess is they let more go and we can match the physical D the Heat are playing.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I've thought about this a lot and my wish is for the Hawks to play with the same physicality as the Heat, all game long.  I want to see Heurter, Hunter, Bogi, OO all foul out.  It would make headlines if we had like 3 players foul out.  It would force a narrative around the refs and the refs would not like that.  My guess is they let more go and we can match the physical D the Heat are playing.  

No... the Narrative would become... Atlanta is not a good defensive team. 

They'd break down our plays and say... "This is not defense."

But... It doesn't mean that we roll over.  I say we meet them with the same energy with no expectations from the refs.  The refs are not going to all the sudden look at themselves and say, we've been doing a terrible job out here.  Let's play hard and f the refs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

the calls in this series and the calls Trae has been not getting all season are the reason i stopped watching the NBA this season other than ATL games.  I used to watch a lot of games, pretty much all the young players.  Lots of Charlotte, Memphis and Dallas.  This year I didn't watch a single one of their games unless it was against the Hawks.

I don't mind the change in rules, but the obvious difference in the way Trae gets reffed compared to the rest of the league disgusts me so much I choose to stop following the league basically.     

I liked how in the 1st quarter the national announcers noticed what was going on and commented on how Trae was fouled while shooting 3x and never got a shooting foul called.  i was like, welcome to our entire season.  Trae gets no calls and when the refs do begrudgingly give him a call it is always side out of bounds.

I'm done.  After the Hawks get bounced within the next 3 games max I am done with the NBA till next season.  I've got plenty of stuff stored up in my Netflix/Disney/HBO Max/Hulu/Amazon to keep me busy well into the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, thecampster said:

This all goes back to Nate and not protecting his guys. You have to make a scene at the press conference to get sports center to break down your beef. Cite specific plays, take the fine but make it public so the league has to react. This is on Nate. I love Nate but if he has a failing, this is it.

yep I remember back in the day Phil Jackson was always complaining to the media about the physical play of Detroit and New York.  I've never seen Nate say anything like that.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, thecampster said:

This all goes back to Nate and not protecting his guys. You have to make a scene at the press conference to get sports center to break down your beef. Cite specific plays, take the fine but make it public so the league has to react. This is on Nate. I love Nate but if he has a failing, this is it.

💯

Unfortunately Nate is a very fall-in-line guy, so this will likely never happen.  He's got that military mindset

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I don't say it is all Nate's fault (the refs bear the primary blame and the Heat are doing this as a deliberate strategy so they get blame too) but he absolutely needs to throw a fit over this.  Should have shown up to the press conference with video clips ready and run them for the media.  He could even have done it in a sarcastic way where he literally isn't criticizing the refs.  Maybe he instead "criticizes" his own players like:

"See on this play Trae almost hurt Herro's hand with his face.  And see this [rolls film]?  See how poor Jimmy Butler's elbow gets hurt by that chin? We just can't be this physical and expect the refs to tolerate that.  Our guys should know that when a Heat player leads with his elbow or swings a haymaker at us, you can't let your face get in the way of that and not expect to get called for the foul.   

See how Trae keeps getting overly physical with that Miami defense?  [Shows clips of Trae getting elbowed in the face, held, etc.]  There wasn't a call on any of these plays.  Don't misunderstand me, I understand why Trae isn't getting a call with him illegally putting his face in Lowry's elbow like that and with him forcing those Heat players to move into his path while he is dribbling.  He is to blame for sure.  We were fortunate Trae didn't get ejected for putting Lowry at risk of injury.

I mean just look at this play.  [Rolls clip of Lowry diving into Trae's knee after the whistle.]  [Restarts the play] Right here the whistle is blown and the play is dead. [Pauses on whistle]  Then watch what happens next.  [Continues the clip.]  That is a seriously dangerous play.  Intolerable to let that pass without a flagrant because it could have ended a season.  Trae is damn lucky he wasn't ejected.  I mean his knee, his ankle...well, that could have dislocated Lowry's shoulder.  I teach all my guys to dive at opposing player's knees after the whistle. It is the right way to play and my guys need to do a better job protecting the Heat when they do the right thing and dive at someone's knee after the play is dead.  It is truly disappointing to me that Trae didn't handle that contact the right way.  

And Trae isn't the only one who got lucky after nearly injuring poor fragile Lowry.  Look at the pain and anguish on Lowry's face when Hunter abuses him on this play.  [Rolls tape of Lowry wrapping up and nearly injuring Hunter.]  Our guys have been very lucky they haven't been issued flagrant fouls for that kind of contact.

And I'm also mad at our guys for trying to fake fouls.  We all know the rules that if you try to fake a violation that you are supposed to get T'd up.  Watch this play.   [Plays several clips of the Hawks getting brutalized with no calls.]  We just can't have our guys putting the team at risk by selfishly faking fouls.  Look at how our guys tried to pretend like they didn't initiate the contact here.  [Plays clips of Lowry and other Heat players faking fouls like the clip of Lowry coming from behind and initiating contact way off the ball.]  Our guys have to stop pretending like they aren't in the wrong here.  Lowry is fully entitled to come from behind, grab our guy's arm and drag him around while begging for a call.  We are just lucky we didn't get ejected when we failed to get out of his way.

All I'm asking from my guys is to play hard and play fair.  The rules are supposed to apply equally to both teams and our guys can't count on the refs being this generous to them the rest of the series.  I just count myself fortunate that no one was seriously hurt by one of these plays so far.  I expect better.  I.....I expect better from everyone involved."

• Haha 3

Unless you're finna mail off some-a them bad boys for taste-testin', I vote we take down those pics and censure the poster.

This is as egregious as the nudes spud posted a few years ago.  Not that we wanted to taste squd but ... well, you know what I mean.

🤓

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

This is what Nate should have said in the presser...  He could have kept it the exact same...

When Nate is fired... Give me Fizdale!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

This is what Nate should have said in the presser...  He could have kept it the exact same...

When Nate is fired... Give me Fizdale!!!!

I like what he did there but HELL NO! Fiz is awful. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Unless you're finna mail off some-a them bad boys for taste-testin', I vote we take down those pics and censure the poster.

This is as egregious as the nudes spud posted a few years ago.  Not that we wanted to taste squd but ... well, you know what I mean.

🤓

I take exemption here! I can’t believe your matching me up against some blueberry 🫐 muffin cookies :fie:🍪 

• Moderators

I like most of what Fiz said there but he still played into the whole problem.   He's complaining that they should have gotten calls because they've "earned" the respect of the officials.   That's the whole problem this concept that you need to earn the respect of the officials.  no you just need to play the game and the officials need to do their job.   doesn't matter if  you're Skyler Mays or Kyler Mowlry 

• Thanks 2