• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Rockets at Hawks -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, HawkingAwesome said:

Lol why do they have nique sitting at a bar doing the playbyplay? 

I think they finally realized they can make a lot of money from those seats and moved everyone from scorer’s row to the mezzanine.  Makes sense.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

They mentioned on air that Dejounte was the first Hawk since SPUD WEBB IN 85!!!!! @cam1218 to double double with points and assists in his Hawk debut. That’s pretty cool! 

@Diesel Agree on Hunter turning the corner, much more patient, our whole team was patient.

@JayBirdHawk Your boy is a bad boy. That stat line and the huuuge steal when we were slumping in the 3rd. We haven’t had a momentum changer like him in a while and he can effect the entire game on the defensive end, 5 steals in game 1, that’s insane.

GO HAWKS! @Jody23 you see thing? I like your biz attitude, wonder what your thinking 🤔…. 

You know what it is Spud...on to the next one.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think we shouldn't put up as many threes.    The midrange shot is there and we can Derozen this thing.   Let Bogi be the sniper.. AJ too.   but focus should be on being more efficient on the scoring in...  It's sustainable. 

Shot 58% from 2 on 65 attempts. That's really good. Only took 25 3s which would be last in the NBA by 4 attempts last year. 

This issue isn't that we need to limit the 3s, Houston took 35 which is about league avg but they shot poorly as well. Had they hit league avg we likely lose. And that's the issue. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I thought I had a high bar lol.  He did everything a two way combo guard could possibly do: cut basket, blocked jumper, dunked, double digit assists, middy, three, brought it up, played off, passing lane steals, on ball steals, goddamn!  Only thing I didn’t see was a screen assist and he might’ve done that too hell.

He did everything i asked for in a player we would put next to Trae tonight.   He is 100% the exact kind of player i wanted on this team the only thing i would have wanted more is him to be about 3 inches taller but you can't be that picky.  Plus his wing span and jumping ability probably makes up for that overall.  So im very happy with what i see from him hope he can keep it up going forward. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Forget the 3's or the offense. Bad team rely on inconsistent shots to win games...The good team focus on the fundamentals like securing your defensive boards.  This game would not have been this close if we did not get out rebounded by 16!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

But if we shoot average, we most likely still win. 

This was just a rough shooting night.   Nothing to be  alarmed about.  After about 20 games if we are still shooting 20% from three, I think we should ring the alarm.

Still put up 117 shooting that poorly from three. 

I like where we are headed with the ability to get turnovers and with an elite offense.  Still some things I'd like to see better on the defensive end.

That's the key - us shooting league avg which is around 35% I think. If they can do that as a team, no worries from me. I juat have doubts they can other than Trae and JC on his limited attempts. I'm optimistic on Hunter as well. But DJ, Holidays, JJ? We'll see.

• Premium Member

Caution that probably doesn't need to be said.

We played a much better team in our opener last season, and blew them out.

Then, for the next 20 games before the Great Recession hit, it was like the team was comatose one game, decent the next, up and down, up and down. The All-Star would confess later that he'd just felt bored by the regular season. And some of us sensed that. It was as-if they needed to have their playoff expectations doubted. That 6-16 Fake Hawks streak sure took care of that, of course.

Sensing a very different vibe this season.

Now, granted, I was looking for a blow-out against arguably the worst team in the league tonight at home. There's no way this team should have had HOU breathing down its collective neck for most of the 48 minutes.

But to me, there's some maturity in realizing when the 3 isn't falling, you go to what is working. And I take some satisfaction in the idea that, had the 3s been falling as they surely will, it probably would have been the blow-out anticipated.

Add the BogBog factor getting minutes that had to be redistributed tonight, and I think that also pushes the needle to the red... the good red.

Like others have said, love how the stats sheet otherwise turned out, particularly that balanced scoring and the double-digit assists from the lead guards.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, terrell said:

Bogi is sorely missed with the 2nd unit.... until then...Nate should play the rook AJGriffin

In time.

I think there's wisdom in the long term in making AJ win that role more than having it default to him, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Forget the 3's or the offense. Bad team rely on inconsistent shots to win games...The good team focus on the fundamentals like securing your defensive boards.  This game would not have been this close if we did not get out rebounded by 16!

Well there's no reason to be concerned about rebounding going forward. Tonight is likely an anomaly for boards.  Not so sure about the outside shooting. Which could be a problem against the better teams in the NBA. 

21 minutes ago, shakes said:

I think they finally realized they can make a lot of money from those seats and moved everyone from scorer’s row to the mezzanine.  Makes sense.

Damn I never realized that.  You’re right that’s something State Farm should’ve been peeped.  Having your announcers sit there is so ‘90s.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Shot 58% from 2 on 65 attempts. That's really good. Only took 25 3s which would be last in the NBA by 4 attempts last year. 

This issue isn't that we need to limit the 3s, Houston took 35 which is about league avg but they shot poorly as well. Had they hit league avg we likely lose. And that's the issue. 

You say that as if our defense had nothing to do  with their misses.