• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Rockets at Hawks -- The Season Opener!

lethalweapon3

Being out rebounded by 16 and only making 7 threes and still win? I will take that all day.  That wouldn’t of worked last year and won’t work against the better teams unless the Hawks play elite defense, which they have the pieces to do    in stretches.

Edited by 909
Bad grammar
  • Like 1

We were tight with a bad team, we were highly outrebounded, I understand why people like what they see but we will be in serious trouble with big and athletic teams. As I said we are small and we lack size, we need to fix that. 

I love the way we used Collins, I like what I saw from Hunter, great game from both. Murray was great too, Trae had really bad shot selection. Capela did not anchor the paint. I think Capela is a real capable center but is far from his real level. 

I really think we could use some help at PF and C, even a big SF, we need to get bigger. 

Can you imagine this team playing Minnesota?

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

We were tight with a bad team, we were highly outrebounded, I understand why people like what they see but we will be in serious trouble with big and athletic teams. As I said we are small and we lack size, we need to fix that. 

I love the way we used Collins, I like what I saw from Hunter, great game from both. Murray was great too, Trae had really bad shot selection. Capela did not anchor the paint. I think Capela is a real capable center but is far from his real level. 

I really think we could use some help at PF and C, even a big SF, we need to get bigger. 

I'm not sure Houston is as bad as people are making them our to be.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Minnesota? Kinda soft, big but soft.

• Premium Member

Regarding Houston being bad…

They are definitely talented, but also young. Usually teams like that are competitive early in the season, so it’s a good win IMO. If they don’t get a lot of wins in the first few weeks, they start to struggle and then try to finish strong to build on next year. I always like to see these types of teams show up during a random weekday in December or March.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

Considering this was the first game of the season, I'm not going to overreact to the win, or the deficiencies we showed in this game.  This was Game 1 in a long 82 game season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Considering this was the first game of the season, I'm not going to overreact to the win, or the deficiencies we showed in this game.  This was Game 1 in a long 82 game season.

Based on the first game, I am pretty sure we're going to go 82-0!
(I'm also pretty sure we won't win another game.)

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not sure Houston is as bad as people are making them our to be.

They have a lot of talent, it's just raw. The Hawks were coasting for stretches in the game, never really felt like it was in doubt. The NBA and Eastern is absolutely stacked this year though so you figure Houston won't be winning a lot of games. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The funny thing is the over reaction is almost never positive.  No one is saying that Murray will average 5 steals a game or Hunter 22 points per game or Collin will shoot 75% from the field.  the statements are generally worse case scenario like we will be terrible at shooting 3's or get destroyed on the board by bigger teams etc.

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

They have a lot of talent, it's just raw. The Hawks were coasting for stretches in the game, never really felt like it was in doubt. The NBA and Eastern is absolutely stacked this year though so you figure Houston won't be winning a lot of games. 

We'll see.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

They are definitely talented, but also young. Usually teams like that are competitive early in the season, so it’s a good win IMO. If they don’t get a lot of wins in the first few weeks, they start to struggle and then try to finish strong to build on next year. I always like to see these types of teams show up during a random weekday in December or March.

Yep. And now we have to deal with Orlando. 

34 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The funny thing is the over reaction is almost never positive.  No one is saying that Murray will average 5 steals a game or Hunter 22 points per game or Collin will shoot 75% from the field.  the statement are generally worse case scenario like we will be terrible at shooting 3's or get destroyed on the board by bigger teams etc.

Do you want to pull up the game thread from our first win last year?  A lot of crazy positive takes.   

The main positive for me is our signings and acquisitions look good.   Even smaller moves like the Jalen draft pick from last year is seasoned and ready to contribute.    

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, cam1218 said:

they are young but well coached.  their young players are very good and not shy.  they are complete too.  nothing is missing.  They will sneak up on a lot of teams.

• Thanks 2