Official Game Thread: Kings at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But on the flipside, the coach WANTS him taking more 3s, particularly if he is wide open.

Nate, Nate, Nate...smh.

There's something mental with JC atm. He's 92% from the stripe I guarantee at practice he is making all of these shots. I don't know what is going through his head but he's too good to be playing this terribly offensively. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

There's something mental with JC atm. He's 92% from the stripe I guarantee at practice he is making all of these shots. I don't know what is going through his head but he's too good to be playing this terribly offensively. 

Maybe years of being given away by the hometown fanbase have finally caught up with him psychologically. Maybe he feels the pressure to prove himself, again, after doing so year after year.

It would be tough for anyone to thrive somewhere where they no longer feel wanted. Just ask any marriage counselor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Wretch said:

What has been discussed is Trae launching "ill advised" 3's.  ALL of his long distance 3's.  There have been people defending these shots and there have been people condemning them.  That topic has been beat to death.  Forgive me if I'm not clear, but that's not what I'm talking about.

My concern is with a specific shot that he is taking that nobody can justify.  It has to to go - and this is coming from someone who has very vocally defended his shot selection.  No need to rehash which shots I'm talking about, just go back and read.  Prior to this season, these shots were mostly excusable because selling out on Trae shut us down.  Him launching anything was just as good as anything anyone else was doing.  This is no longer the case. 

The logo 3's are fine...but he can't keep shooting ~30% on contested, off balance, rushed, out of rhythm 3's.  Especially if we're not moving the ball.  If we are "good" with him wasting these possessions, then we are "great" without it.

...also, for the record, I don't post according to how each game goes.  I'm not an in the moment poster like that.  I usually keep my mouth shut until I see something worth talking about.

Understood. Trae needs to shoot better period. This has been discussed because his field gaol percentage, 3 point percentage and true shooting percentage are all career lows. We had discussed that this is likely due to him adjusting to him being off the ball, having a new back court mate, and adjusting to where and when he should take his shots. All the while other teams are game planning against him as our number one option. What I have noticed is that when he is the second or third person to receive the ball on offense, he is not ready to shoot. He is use to taking his time to set up his own shot. That little bit of hesitation is disrupting his shot. He has to trust that when gets a pass from Murray off of a screen that his is already in a position to shoot and he needs to let it fly. If it is not there then he needs to get off the ball quickly to keep the offense moving. Your point is valid, I just thought it was a weird game to bring it up. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Maybe not mental but mechanical. 

Shooting is not something that you just become consistent at out of nowhere.   JC missed a lot of last year near the end.  He's trying to find his rhythm.  I wish that he would post up more though.   He made both Keegan and Barnes look like children. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

Maybe years of being given away by the hometown fanbase have finally caught up with him psychologically. Maybe he feels the pressure to prove himself, again, after doing so year after year.

It would be tough for anyone to thrive somewhere where they no longer feel wanted. Just ask any marriage counselor.

Hard to know the trust level from the outside, and whether he's given media reports more credence than what he's been told by Schlields. No matter who the source is and the credibility of their report, it's almost certainly not fully informed by the whole of the context. To the degree that JC is convinced they've been honest and upfront with him before, it goes to reason that he's built-up some insulation and confidence.... and, of course, the converse is also true. Sometimes we on the outside just have to be content with ambiguity and partial insight.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Maybe that's a factor though I'll speculate last year with the injuries and playing hurt might have set him back

8 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Its not about a career when evaluating a player's performance in a game.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  Its mind boggling to me to watch a player have a horrific game and give him a pass while others have great game and are given them no credit.  This by definition is homer ism. 

This and since when has the PER mattered. Hunter hate is strange to me. He's probably our 3rd best player and since Murray struggles, our 2nd best player

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

We have no  player in the rotation  who has a career average of over 2 assists outside of Trae and Murray. It's a roster construction issue. 

A. Ho is at 2.3 but pout taken.  One should reasonably expect John and Dre to at least be at that threshold.  Dre can go an entire game without making a well-read, timed, and accurate possession-advancing pass.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

I saw OO make some nice passes from the wing, elbow, and Big to Big in preseason, making me think he would be a little more involved in ball movement and swinging.  Literally none in regular smh.

One of the ESPN lead announcers (might’ve been Breen, these new guys’ voices don’t stand out to me as Marv Albert will always be the standard) made a great point and I was amazed lol.  But he said to Mark Jackson “the ball has such power, notice the shot after the extra extra pass is almost automatic.”  We gotta get more swingage.

And just one last unrelated note.  Anyone watch Dayton basketball?  I was flipping channels and never watch college but they had kid named Elvis who looked like a f&@kin All NBA player already lol.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

A. Ho is at 2.3 but pout taken.  One should reasonably expect John and Dre to at least be at that threshold.  Dre can go an entire game without making a well-read, timed, and accurate possession-advancing pass.

Hunter lack of passing skills is probably his biggest hindrance in my eyes as an overall hooper

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dejay said:

A good win over another streaking team. I'll take it, especially after the loss in Cleveland.

On another note, I was looking at overall attendance figures and despite all of the issues we discuss, the Hawks are 2nd in the league in percentage of tickets sold at 103.3. For the veterans here, we've often debated about the empty seats and needing giveaways at the gate unless (insert superstar here) arrives in town. No more...

Yeah that attendance is very impressive, and surprising.  I’m a little too old for the gimmicks and halftime concerts but hell it’s working.  I wouldn’t think the casual Hawks fan would be very excited about DJ’s arrival.  A playoffs like last season would turn away some of a fickle fanbase.  Maybe that’s changing a bit here?

Or maybe it’s just a bunch of women buying cheap tickets trying to give DJ their number lol 

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Yeah that attendance is very impressive, and surprising.  I’m a little too old for the gimmicks and halftime concerts but hell it’s working.  I wouldn’t think the casual Hawks fan would be very excited about DJ’s arrival.  A playoffs like last season would turn away some of a fickle fanbase.  Maybe that’s changing a bit here?

Or maybe it’s just a bunch of women buying cheap tickets trying to give DJ their number lol 

Has Atlanta ever had attendance above 95% before? This is amazing. Trae is definitely box office 

• Like 3