• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: heat at Hawks

lethalweapon3

10 minutes ago, Alf said:

I would not 100 percent say that right now OO is a 'bust'. However, for the number 6 overall pick in the draft, he simply has to play better than what he currently is. Would be different if he was a mid to late secound rounder. but he's not. Still say I would have preferred we took Vassell at that spot instead, but that is neither here nor there now.

You take Haliburton there. I dont care if he said doesnt want to play with Trae(can you blame him).. But dont pass on better players because they say theyd rather play elsewhere.. If they think Murray fits with Trae, Hali fits with Trae.....And a much better shooter and passer..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alf said:

Erm, isn't it up to the coach to make adjustments? Nate is really starting to irritate me with how he goes about things.

Nate is starting to wear out his welcome

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

You take Haliburton there. I dont care if he doesnt want to play with Trae.. Who does tbh.. But dont pass on better players because they say theyd rather play elsewhere.. If they think Murray fits with Trae, Hali fits with Trae.....And a much better shooter and passer..

Hali wouldnt fit with Trae. He needs to rock even more than Murray. I saw Fox and Hali and that shit never worked

That said I wish we drafted Hali. So we could trade Trae. That said, no owner is trading Trae. Terrible business move. 

Edited by NBASupes

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hali wouldnt fit with Trae. He needs to rock even more than Murray. I saw Fox and Hali and that shit never worked

He fits just as good or better than Murray.. At least he can defend AND shoot..

Edited by terrell

Just now, NBASupes said:

Unfortunately yes I think he is. With that being said, don't think he deserves to get fired right now, nothing that drastic mind. But he does need to change up how he does things or this whole season will be a wash. Have to have faith he gets it together, though he is a very hard headed coach so we will see.

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The lack of respect of OO befuddled me on here. He's one of the best switch bigs in the NBA. Protects the rim. Has the highest TS in Hawks history. Athletic and rebounds at a great clip per36. And can defend small and bigs. There aren't many guys like him around the league but this site consistently attacks him and undervalues him. It's disgusting and honestly, shows why our collective BBIQ as a fanbase is underwhelming 

Okongwu is a very good defensive big.  Anybody that watches the kid, can see that.

He's also a below average offensive big.  No consistent things he does skill wise, on that end of the floor.

This pretty much makes him a net neutral player on the floor, from an impact standpoint.

With Capela having high impact on both ends ( with his ability to catch lobs at the rim ), this makes OO's decent, but average contribution, looks a lot worse than it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, terrell said:

He fits just as good or better than Murray.. At least he can defend AND shoot..

Hali defense is decent but it's not on Murray's level and he needs a lot of touches. That won't come with Trae and when it does, it's not value touches. It's turn taking. There is a reason he told Atlanta not to draft him at all. 

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hali defense is decent but it's not on Murray's level and he needs a lot of touches. That won't come with Trae and when it does, it's not value touches. It's turn taking. There is a reason he told Atlanta not to draft him at all. 

All Trae and Murray does is take turns... Im sure he wouldve been fine with Hawks drafting him.. What is he goona do hold out? smh

Again Schlenk gonna be old and senile trying to find perfect fits with his 6'0 pg.....

Edited by terrell

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That said I wish we drafted Hali. So we could trade Trae. That said, no owner is trading Trae. Terrible business move. 

Do you think us getting to the ECFs was a fluke?

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Okongwu is a very good defensive big.  Anybody that watches the kid, can see that.

He's also a below average offensive big.  No consistent things he does skill wise, on that end of the floor.

This pretty much makes him a net neutral player on the floor, from an impact standpoint.

With Capela having high impact on both ends ( with his ability to catch lobs at the rim ), this makes OO's decent, but average contribution, looks a lot worse than it is.

I like his activity on offense, his finishing, and his athleticism. His lack of aggressiveness to shoot is an issue. I also think he's too small to be a 5 which isn't as notable as a backup as it is as a starter. 

1 minute ago, terrell said:

All Trae and Murray does is take turns...

Again Schlenk gonna be old and senile trying to find perfect fits with his 6'0 pg.....

Which has mixed results. It's not ideal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

Do you think us getting to the ECFs was a fluke?

No. That squad had a high ceiling with a lower end floor. This squad when healthy has a higher floor but the ceiling is limited. This team won't make the ECF much less get out of the 1st round. That squad had a high ceiling. This one doesn't. They weren't a fluke. They just need the right situations. This team ain't it regardless what's in front of us. We can't shoot. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No. That squad had a high ceiling with a lower end floor. This squad when healthy has a higher floor but the ceiling is limited. This team won't make the ECF much less get out of the 1st round. That squad had a high ceiling. This one doesn't. They weren't a fluke. They just need the right situations. This team ain't it regardless what's in front of us. We can't shoot. 

THIS. 

Can't shoot in the modern NBA. Damn 

3 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Really? How can you say that when we haven't even played good basketball yet? We haven't seen the best version of the Hawks yet.

A fluke as in a 1 time thing... This team cant shoot or defend well enough..That team had guys who could get hot at any point during the game.....Bogi aint saving us this season imo.. It usually takes him weeks to get right when he comes back... And he hasnt played 1 min with Murray...  And God forbid CC goes down for any amout of time..

Edited by terrell

23 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

We are a mid team. The record is starting to catch up with our play. We had so much luck with our injury situation and schedule. Even our tough stretch saw us face a depleted Bucks and Raptors team and a Sacramento team that clearly had nothing left in the tank on the second of a back to back after a really intense game. One guys goes down and our utter and complete lack of depth is exposed. 

So when we have injuries, that don't count?

We don't have one of our better shooters and our best big man on defense is out.  But we can't use that as an excuse?

We're also trying to work in a lot of new pieces in the lineup, to see how they fit.   

• Murray
  • AJ
  • JJ
  • A-Hol
  • J-Hol
  • Frank

This is who we lost, or don't have available:

• Huerter
  • Gallo
  • Wright
  • Bogi
  • Lou
  • Dieng
  • TLC

Four of those guys ( Huerter - Gallo - Bogi - Lou ), were all capable of having 20 point nights at any given time

I mean, a rookie has some in our fan base willing to blow it all up, and make HIM the guy. 

Even the team last year didn't get going until mid-January, after all of the COVID crap calmed down and we got Bogi back in the mix.

So if injuries can be an excuse for them, injuries and lack of team chemistry has to be an excuse for us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

With Bogi coming back, and JC hopefully figuring this slump out eventually the shooting will be better than we've seen so far. We're not gonna be a great 3 point shooting team, but that shouldn't as big of a weakness for us by season's end. The lack of ball movement is more concerning to me, but even that is fixable. If we can get more out of JJ off the bench I think we'll be a real contender. The fact that we haven't played at all and we're still competitive is a positive sign. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So when we have injuries, that don't count?

We don't have one of our better shooters and our best big man on defense is out.  But we can't use that as an excuse?

We're also trying to work in a lot of new pieces in the lineup, to see how they fit.   

• Murray
  • AJ
  • JJ
  • A-Hol
  • J-Hol
  • Frank

This is who we lost, or don't have available:

• Huerter
  • Gallo
  • Wright
  • Bogi
  • Lou
  • Dieng
  • TLC

Four of those guys ( Huerter - Gallo - Bogi - Lou ), were all capable of having 20 point nights at any given time

I mean, a rookie has some in our fan base willing to blow it all up, and make HIM the guy. 

Even the team last year didn't get going until mid-January, after all of the COVID crap calmed down and we got Bogi back in the mix.

So if injuries can be an excuse for them, injuries and lack of team chemistry has to be an excuse for us.

THat team was better than this one.. And it even took them half a season and a coaching change..

28 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You always say he's the second most important player on the team. 

I mean we can win without him.  OO has rebounding problem and he needs to solve it quickly. His defense has slipped a bit too because he's generally played Bam well. 

This loss isn't on OO, but just saying buddy has a lot of work to do if he expects to start. Just like everyone else on this team.

He doesn't anticipate where the ball is coming off the rim.  He reacts to where it's coming down without putting a body on people.  Capela can anticipate the angle in which the rebound is coming off, and puts himself in position to get it.  Plus he can jump higher than OO, which makes a big difference as well. 

• Like 2