• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hornets at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Just now, JeffS17 said:

This is the egregious part.  Jalen should be inbounding this with Trae/Murray/Griff/Hunter on the floor.  Maybe JC for lob threat, but any of those guys have a chance to make a shot with only a second.

With that said, it's not really fair to focus on 1 second of a 48 minute game.  We lost the game in the other 47 minutes and 59 seconds, particularly in the 4th.  Defense was putrid and offense stagnated, falling back into bad habits of what has driven a lot of our losses.

I fully agree on the focusing on other parts of the game.  But i also am in full belief that head coaches are paid highly for them to be at their best in that 1 second and to make the correct decisions when needed most.    Also the fact he took out a hot Griffin earlier in the 4th because he is so set in his ways on minutes or rotations is crazy to me as well.   Their is no reason to pull 1 of the guys outside of DJ who is making shots consistently in the 4th quarter for someone else.   Heck if anything i would have pulled Trae and let DJ run PG and Griffin the SG if he wanted to put Collins in and run a bit big.  Trae was struggling and it was slowing the offense down.  If we can notice it then the head coach dang sure should be able to.

Edited by Threezus
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We were winning.  Had to wait until we blew a game we should've won before he returned.

And that is why that troll is on permanent ignore from me. Wish others would follow my lead on that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Another day.. Another Opportunity. 

Welp,   we got a lot of work to do.   The work we have to do is trust building.  We lost this game because of bad play.  Sheez up by 19.. and you lose, it's everybody's fault.    It's the guy selling hotdogs fault.   It's the guy parking cars fault.   It's the dude at the announce table's fault.  Yep.. It's Nique's fault. 

Still.   we have some serious soul searching and work to do.  We left off bad... broken... and probably hurt.   This is where the coaching has to start.   Nate and Trae has to mend fences or none of this will work.   We've seen that we can be good.   We got to get back to that.

Let's not forget context.... 6 games in 9 days.. Damn.  We just have to make better choices though.. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We were winning.  Had to wait until we blew a game we should've won before he returned.

Typical stupid statement from a Trae homer.  The Hawks have only been winning this week. I hadn't poster here in a month.

• Premium Member
Just now, BrazilianHawk said:

After 5 really good games, our streak ends at home versus a tanking team missing their best player.

Weird shyte, really. Terrible second half, I can only think they were waiting for the Hornets to fold. Didn't happen.

:ahf:

We ran out of favors....

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Trae has been playing well during the win streak, he got in his own way last night. How he and the team bounces back is going to be the most interesting thing. Can they put this behind them and refocus for the next 2 road games vs Bulls and Thunder. Our games against the Bulls have been barn burners.

Just saying:  Hawks signed Favors to a 10 day contract.  They then went on a five game winning streak.  He played -0- minutes.  Hawks did not sign him to another 10 day.

Immediately, they ended that streak.  

:bb:

• Like 4

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Id agree with this take if they hadnt just played five games of excellent team ball.  To me it looks like our guards get in their feelings just as much as Nate isnt giving us a great blueprint.  Trae has to learn he doesnt have the size to play predictable hero ball like Lebron or KD or Luka.  He needs to close games out like CP3, with playmaking and being a floor general.  He has to be OK deferring important shots to DJ or Hunter or whoever if we want to take it to the next level.  I’m fine if he wants to iso cook a shitty defender but he never respects good defenders and ends up putting up bad shots 

The fact that they went back and forth between moving the ball for a few games and now back to iso ball just proves the point.  Moving the ball is not a foundational principle.  It's not truly a part of who this team is.  It's the exception and only happens when guys feel like it.  It's been like this for years.  The root cause of why it happens isn't a couple of guys deciding to break from the gameplan.  95% of the time, iso ball is the gameplan and it negatively affects the team's play on both ends.  Why doesn't the coach get exasperated or call a timeout when Trae and Murray stop the ball, go on no pass possessions, and force bad shots?  Because that's his gameplan especially late in close games.  He enables this.  Sure, those guys need to realize that isn't good basketball AT ALL.  But most kids would eat sugar until their teeth fall out unless someone who knows better teaches them and shows them how detrimental it is.

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

The fact that they went back and forth between moving the ball for a few games and now back to iso ball just proves the point.  Moving the ball is not a foundational principle.  It's not truly a part of who this team is.  It's the exception and only happens when guys feel like it.  It's been like this for years.  The root cause of why it happens isn't a couple of guys deciding to break from the gameplan.  95% of the time, iso ball is the gameplan and it negatively affects the team's play on both ends.  Why doesn't the coach get exasperated or call a timeout when Trae and Murray stop the ball, go on no pass possessions, and force bad shots?  Because that's his gameplan especially late in close games.  He enables this.  Sure, those guys need to realize that isn't good basketball AT ALL.  But most kids would eat sugar until their teeth fall out unless someone who knows better teaches them and shows them how detrimental it is.

Some people just don't know when to quit.  Trae didn't know.  Nate couldn't stop him.  Reading the roundup of the game, I found this gem.  Trae Young, in the closing quarter, missed 11 of his last 12 shots!

Trae didn't know when to stop shooting and give the ball to the hot hand.  If AJ Griffin did this the entire NBA world would be up in arms!  Either send the rook to the G League or outright release him!  Yet, apparently this hot shooting rookie wasn't good enough.  Either Nate had him on the pine or 
Trae refused to share the ball.

But Gray Mule, he's just a rookie and Nate will not put this kind of pressure on him.  Really?  And he's willing to let Trae shoot and shoot and shoot, always missing?  Then let him attempt to throw the ball in over the seven foot center with the final outcome depending on the results?

The more I hear and the more I read, the sicker I become of this entire mess!

:cry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Just saying:  Hawks signed Favors to a 10 day contract.  They then went on a five game winning streak.  He played -0- minutes.  Hawks did not sign him to another 10 day.

Immediately, they ended that streak.  

:bb:

That's not even a cup of coffee,  more like a sip at the water fountain. 

• Like 1