• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

Can anyone explain to me how the bench is so much better in the clutch than our starter? Like it’s honestly sad to see. You have to worry about the starters entering the 4th  everytime you watch because they’ve been so bad this whole. It’s crazy.

The bench doesn't play in the clutch.  To me, the clutch is the last 4 minutes of the game.

Pieces of our bench should DEFINITELY be playing in the clutch, whether it is to provide better offense or defense than our current starters.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was the biggest flaw in the ATO.  Dre doesn't have that quick feel or instinct.  Everything is methodical.

The word for that is "spacey".. lol

adjective, spac·i·er, spac·i·est. Informal. dazed, out of touch with reality, or easily confused; spaced-out: 

Edited by terrell

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Which is crazy, because this is the same guy that made this shot in the NCAA Championship.

That was also the game that got him to be a top 5 pick.

And even though this one was lucky, he still had the presence of mind to catch and get the shot up quickly in time.

At minimum, Dre should be on the Mikal Bridges track of young talent that is on the verge of getting to that next level.  And speaking of Bridges, he's become a borderline superstar in Brooklyn, now that he's the #1 option on that squad.

Now that they're finally sliding down, Miami may overtake them for the 6th spot, and have them fall to 7th.  But we have to make sure we stay at 8, which is definitely not a lock by any means.

Catch and Shoot, it's the dribble and making any another decision.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't believe you. 

Like I said in the post you didn't respond to, you have set up a bullet proof argument. He shoots, you criticize for "taking all the shots".  He passes instead of shoots, you criticize for turnovers or not being a superstar.  Either way, you get to criticize the same player after every loss.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Well, to be honest if you look back into posts I made a couple months ago, you'll probably find a handful of posts praising Trae's play. 

If you look back into the ECF season, you'll find plenty of posts praising his play. I even got me a Trae bobblehead lol. I'll do it when his play leads the Hawks to wins. It's just I'm not a Trae stan so I am able to see his glaring weaknesses as well. You might think I'm a Trae hater, but that's simply not true. I just don't believe he will ever lead the Hawks to a Finals. 

And the most important, Hawks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trae, so I'll most definitely call him out when he's hurting the team. After all, he got his max contract to do the exact opposite, didn't he? 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

So is Quin also an idiot that doesn't know how to draw up plays like Nate? Or are we starting to see maybe our players are the ones struggling to execute down the stretch?

I think he's just tryin' shish rn.  I don't think there's much use in drawing deeper conclusions w.r.t. Snyder, honestly. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

They don't have to call it though.   The league gave them a reason not to when they created the 'unnatural shooting motion' exception.    It doesn't make any sense that they are 'forced' into calling these crazy, bogus shot attempts but in return ignore obvious fouls and continuation as a sort of retribution.   They could have just refused the initial call.  They don't have to not give him any fouls but 16 free throws?      

Refs penalizing an entire team as retribution for them being 'forced' to call fouls on their star player who they have a personal vendetta against because he complains too much?   I mean folks really believing that?  I think the refs are corrupt too but this is some seriously advanced corruption. 

It's not really an unnatural motion though.   An unnatural motion is kicking out the leg or bending so that you can get a call.   What Trae does is use his speed to get in front of the defender, and when the defender is trying to catchup or overplay, Trae goes up for a shot.   Ultimately, it leads to the player bumping Trae on a shot.   It kind of renders the referee powerless because if you don't call somebody getting bumped on a shot, then you're not doing your job. 

The part that's sometimes mindblowing is that they don't give the continuation.   He's in the act of shooting when he's bumped so how is it not a shooting foul?

On Trae's part, you can count on Trae doing this after we have been treated to a bad call by the ref.  Within the next 3 times down the court, you will see Trae bait a foul in retribution.  Which starts the whole cycle over again. 

• Like 2

My apologies if this has already been posted, but here's the link to the 2-minute report:
https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0022201090

Some highlights (lowlights?) from the report:
image.png.7618a35a4b1922268accf1527be03b8d.png
image.thumb.png.6395b0b245a4f1746f882e68250bfec1.png
image.thumb.png.3a2964099e738aa7aee50e9d438c86f9.png
image.thumb.png.808d82bbcb0eee59f9c9425e1bd41892.png
image.thumb.png.fc60bc3ffb5f319eb1ebf0621ec8df1d.png
image.thumb.png.c0cb421b1ae4d4803e321bf3feb0646a.png
image.thumb.png.39830a36d2e7c960a64753f9f25c3180.png

So if you're keeping score at home, that's 3 incorrect calls that favored the TWolves, 1 incorrect call that favored the Hawks, 1 incorrect call that probably didn't have an effect (shot clock violation), and then of course the two so-called "correct" call/non-call with the JC/KAT tussle

Edited by Phunkabilly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Taylor's transparency is cold comfort for the Hawks, according to star guard Trae Young. After the game, Young posted the pool report as an Instagram story, with some comments. 

"We don't care now," Young wrote. 

Also: "This goes back to my statement I said at the beginning of the year, refs should be held more accountable ($, suspensions, etc.) just like us. They shouldn't get 'We missed it' passes."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-trae-young-says-nba-referees-should-be-held-more-accountable-with-fines-suspensions/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

So is Quin also an idiot that doesn't know how to draw up plays like Nate? Or are we starting to see maybe our players are the ones struggling to execute down the stretch?

Quin, overall, has the team looking better throughout the game better than Nate.  But if he's still playing the same lineup at the end of games, he'll get the same results.

And that's exactly what's happening.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Taylor's transparency is cold comfort for the Hawks, according to star guard Trae Young. After the game, Young posted the pool report as an Instagram story, with some comments. 

"We don't care now," Young wrote. 

Also: "This goes back to my statement I said at the beginning of the year, refs should be held more accountable ($, suspensions, etc.) just like us. They shouldn't get 'We missed it' passes."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hawks-trae-young-says-nba-referees-should-be-held-more-accountable-with-fines-suspensions/

What's sad, is that no one else in this organization is backing Trae up.  He's not the one that should voice this opinion.  The coach or the owner should be the one voicing their opinion, in order to protect the player from drawing a fine, or the ire of the refs.

That's why, despite his goofiness as an owner, I respect the hell out of Mark Cuban.  He has absolutely no problem stepping up for his players, so that they don't have to say something crazy.

Speaking of that, did Luka get fined for his "money reaction" to the refs?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Phunkabilly said:

My apologies if this has already been posted, but here's the link to the 2-minute report:
https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0022201090

Some highlights (lowlights?) from the report:
image.png.7618a35a4b1922268accf1527be03b8d.png
image.thumb.png.6395b0b245a4f1746f882e68250bfec1.png
image.thumb.png.3a2964099e738aa7aee50e9d438c86f9.png
image.thumb.png.808d82bbcb0eee59f9c9425e1bd41892.png
image.thumb.png.fc60bc3ffb5f319eb1ebf0621ec8df1d.png
image.thumb.png.c0cb421b1ae4d4803e321bf3feb0646a.png
image.thumb.png.39830a36d2e7c960a64753f9f25c3180.png

So if you're keeping score at home, that's 3 incorrect calls that favored the TWolves, 1 incorrect call that favored the Hawks, 1 incorrect call that probably didn't have an effect (shot clock violation), and then of course the two so-called "correct" call/non-call with the JC/KAT tussle

As long as they subjectively decide what is "marginal contact" and what is not, there will be plenty of room to fix games like last night's. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

It's not really an unnatural motion though.

https://streamable.com/8atpa2

Watch that clip and tell me if you see one natural shooting motion.  Double clutching with your ass out to draw a foul is not natural lmao... I'm not even trying to hate, but these aren't basketball plays

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Trae is an elite talent, but what he did last night is embarrassing to me

Seriously… wtf.

Chris Paul and many before him made a living off that style. It’s part of the basketball game. I can think of many many moves that get refs whistles like Giannis walking right into the lane with a slight touch for a whistle. 

enough with the BS

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 1