• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Seriously… wtf.

Chris Paul and many before him made a living off that style. It’s part of the basketball game. I can think of many many moves that get refs whistles like Giannis walking right into the lane with a slight touch for a whistle. 

enough with the BS

Just not really the brand of basketball I enjoy watching, regardless of who the player or team is.  Funny you mention CP3 because he's one of the "superstars" I have the least respect for.  Partly because he's dirty but also because foul baiting and flopping is a big part of his game

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

https://streamable.com/8atpa2

Watch that clip and tell me if you see one natural shooting motion.  Double clutching with your ass out to draw a foul is not natural lmao... I'm not even trying to hate, but these aren't basketball plays

Yeah he was trying hard there...

4 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Just not really the brand of basketball I enjoy watching, regardless of who the player or team is.  Funny you mention CP3 because he's one of the "superstars" I have the least respect for.  Partly because he's dirty but also because foul baiting and flopping is a big part of his game

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, kg01 said:

Man, if yall are tired of Trae having to embellish to get calls

It's subtle but you changed the narrative by saying he's embellishing lol... he was not getting touched in some of those flops.  There has to be contact to define it as embellishment and his unnatural motions start before any contact -- he's actually helping create the contact with awkward shooting form.... but I digress

I'm not worried about Collins because I don't think he'll be a Hawk next season and for Hunter... well... maybe Quin has a summer camp for handles lol

14 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It's subtle but you changed the narrative by saying he's embellishing lol... he was not getting touched in some of those flops.  There has to be contact to define it as embellishment and his unnatural motions start before any contact -- he's actually helping create the contact with awkward shooting form.... but I digress

I'm not worried about Collins because I don't think he'll be a Hawk next season and for Hunter... well... maybe Quin has a summer camp for handles lol

Oh we doing the semantics game, Jeffrey?  You know what I meant, you big meany. 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Trae is an elite talent, but what he did last night is embarrassing to me

I really don't get this moral consternation you have going on.  Trae punishes guys that trail behind him by suddenly stopping to shoot immediately past the screener.  If there's contact, it's a foul.  If there's no contact, it's not.  

EDIT to add:  Trae gets hit or pushed down on most plays where he drives to the bucket.  There's almost always contact and he gets the "play on" more times than not.  So I'm not going to cry when he gets some phantom no contact calls.   

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

the main problem with the Hawks isn't and wasn't ever a coaching problem.

It became a coaching problem, if by coaching problem we include the coach having players' attention and allegiance... but not if we don't include that. Nate didn't somehow figure out how to go from great coach in 2021 EC Finals to dumbass in 2022-23. But it did seem from all indicators that he lost the room.

Of course, that might just be semantics... depending on how one defines semantics... 645f4450d4710c7a1a0f96f212a05819.gif

38 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The Hawks need better players. 

The Hawks needed health when they didn't have health.

The Hawks needed a more dependable bench when they didn't have a dependable bench.

The Hawks needed an extra shooter when they didn't have an extra shooter.

The Hawks needed some stability in the front office when they didn't have stability in the front office.

The Hawks needed some stability in and some adequate regard for the head coach when they didn't.

And now, they need some time with their new head coach.

It's been a year of legitimate reasons, one after the other, holding them back.

The talent is  there. We weren't stupid to have high expectations going into this season. And most of us were sober to the idea that it would take some time to integrate DM with Trae... to the idea that how soon JJ and how soon AJ got floor time and matured would be critical... then, throw in the fact that we also were looking for OO to emerge as a more consistent force. We weren't wrong in any  of that.

Every team can say they need better players. There is no hands-down dominant team in this league as there was a few seasons ago when there was GSW and everybody else. Just not so easy to be able to end up with a better overall team when you're depending on trades to achieve that.

Is it too late for this season? I just don't know what it is that threw the switch in January 2022, not much more than 12 months ago, that took BOS from being essentially a .500 team to being an NBA Finals team last June. If I knew what that switch was, I could have more confidence in saying we do or we don't have what it takes. I just look at our roster and, now our coaching, and it's not clear to me what would keep us from finding 5th gear as they did.

• Premium Member

Not saying coaching wasn't a problem. Just never the problem. To those saying we've played better since Nate left, it's really been a marginal improvement at best. Some fans were thinking we could turn the season around by just getting rid of Nate, not only did we get rid of Nate but brought in probably the best HC candidate available and the team hasn't shown much. Too many of our player's are just not as good as many on here think. This isn't JC from several years ago, Hunter isn't the player he flashed for 20 games three years, Cap is clearly got some deterioarting health issues and DJM at the 2 is a failure.  Wholesale changes need to be made. 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Phunkabilly said:

My apologies if this has already been posted, but here's the link to the 2-minute report:
https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0022201090

Some highlights (lowlights?) from the report:
image.png.7618a35a4b1922268accf1527be03b8d.png
image.thumb.png.6395b0b245a4f1746f882e68250bfec1.png
image.thumb.png.3a2964099e738aa7aee50e9d438c86f9.png
image.thumb.png.808d82bbcb0eee59f9c9425e1bd41892.png
image.thumb.png.fc60bc3ffb5f319eb1ebf0621ec8df1d.png
image.thumb.png.c0cb421b1ae4d4803e321bf3feb0646a.png
image.thumb.png.39830a36d2e7c960a64753f9f25c3180.png

So if you're keeping score at home, that's 3 incorrect calls that favored the TWolves, 1 incorrect call that favored the Hawks, 1 incorrect call that probably didn't have an effect (shot clock violation), and then of course the two so-called "correct" call/non-call with the JC/KAT tussle

I like how they reframe the KAT / Collins interplay.  In real time, the ref does not blow the whistle and call a foul when Collins and KAT bump at 4 seconds.  KAT then hooks Collins which causes them to tangle up as KAT goes to the rim.  Only then does the whistle blow.  The refs didn't call a foul on Collins before the hook like the report above pretends.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

My point is not to shit on Quinn, just pointing out the main problem with the Hawks isn't and wasn't ever a coaching problem. Coaches tend to look crappy when your players are not good. The Hawks need better players. 

My expectation for Quin is to have a new offense or approach for the 4th quarter ready before next season starts.  If he keeps the team doing what they did under Nate that will be a major fail on his part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

$35,000 for a guy making $37,096,500 this year.  That's akin to a $94 fine for someone making $100K.  Nothing more than PR.  

Fines have to keep pace with player salaries.  Makes no sense that current players are paying that low amount compared to what they make.  Maybe it should be a percentage of a game check instead of a set amount.

I remember Jose Alvarado got a T and, because he was still on a gleague or w/e contract at the time, he literally didn't have it (fine $).  Embiid offered to pay it since it was a double-T assessed to him and Jose. 

I think that was the last T he got that year.

• Like 2