• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Timberwolves

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

Question:  Which Hawk is the best under pressure player on the current roster?

AJ Griffin would be my choice until he hit the rookie wall.  Now, I don't know.  Maybe Bey?  He's not been here long enough to say yes or no.  Your guestimate?

🧑‍🔧

Bogi was 1-6 in the game from 3.  Hunter was 2-2 before the last shot.   I would choose to get the ball to Bogi over Hunter for the last shot 10 out of 10 times.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Gray Mule said:

Question:  Which Hawk is the best under pressure player on the current roster?

AJ Griffin would be my choice until he hit the rookie wall.  Now, I don't know.  Maybe Bey?  He's not been here long enough to say yes or no.  Your guestimate?

🧑‍🔧

That's a tough one, Gramps. That would probably be Trae or DJ, but this doesn't mean they have to hog the ball the entire 4th quarter. For game-winning shots I would most likely go with Trae, he's already shown he can do it before. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I keep waiting for someone to explain why if the refs hate Trae so much why do they call these 'baited' fouls in his favor?  If all the complaining and hate gets him to the line 16 times then i hope he keeps doing it. 

It's this...

They have to call it.  Trae is a master of it.   He does it, they call it.. the other coach complains very hard and the refs look for some type of way to repay the other team. 

This is the rerun that we have been running.   Refs are looking for ways to balance out the mistakes that they made.  Do they hate Trae...   Some do.   Do they take it out on the Hawks...  Some do. 

But they can't reason with themselves if they refused to call fouls on Trae for a whole game.   It would be a worse look... because they all know that like him or not, Trae has star power. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Is that so? It just boggles my mind to see the Hawks completely get away from what worked well for 3 quarters and screw themselves in the 4th.

Could it be that 8 of 9 players in the rotation just aren't willing or capable to shoot it at the end of games? I find it really hard to believe this, but yeah, it could be true. Who knows. 

Just watch them in 4th quarters.  Tight sphincters, all of em except Bogd and Trae.

4th quarters are different than the 1st 3 so watching them exist in 1-3 is incomplete information.  IOW, no, you can't just run what worked in the 1st half and expect it to continue. 

Late game and late clock performance separates the elite from the rest.  As I said, we have really one guy willing.  I'd put Bogd in that category but not consistently. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're just clamoring for some Kam/AD stuff.  Well from yesterday ...

"The word fear means something you're afraid of.  Am I defining that right, Kam?"  - AD

Huh?

I hate AD so much that he actually makes me feel sorry for Kam who I also hate just not as much.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's this...

They have to call it.  Trae is a master of it.   He does it, they call it.. the other coach complains very hard and the refs look for some type of way to repay the other team. 

This is the rerun that we have been running.   Refs are looking for ways to balance out the mistakes that they made.  Do they hate Trae...   Some do.   Do they take it out on the Hawks...  Some do. 

But they can't reason with themselves if they refused to call fouls on Trae for a whole game.   It would be a worse look... because they all know that like him or not, Trae has star power. 

They don't have to call it though.   The league gave them a reason not to when they created the 'unnatural shooting motion' exception.    It doesn't make any sense that they are 'forced' into calling these crazy, bogus shot attempts but in return ignore obvious fouls and continuation as a sort of retribution.   They could have just refused the initial call.  They don't have to not give him any fouls but 16 free throws?      

Refs penalizing an entire team as retribution for them being 'forced' to call fouls on their star player who they have a personal vendetta against because he complains too much?   I mean folks really believing that?  I think the refs are corrupt too but this is some seriously advanced corruption. 

Can anyone explain to me how the bench is so much better in the clutch than our starter? Like it’s honestly sad to see. You have to worry about the starters entering the 4th  everytime you watch because they’ve been so bad this whole. It’s crazy.

Just now, givemesome1ce1 said:

Can anyone explain to me how the bench is so much better in the clutch than our starter? Like it’s honestly sad to see. You have to worry about the starters entering the 4th  everytime you watch because they’ve been so bad this whole. It’s crazy.

I also wonder about this.  I haven't a clue.

🥲

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

Except the bench has not really played in the clutch, meaning the last 2-3 minutes of a game, they are on the bench.  They are typically playing the first 5 minutes of the 4th.  It would be interesting to see how they perform as a group to close out a nail-biting close game.

...and Welcome to The Squawk!

• Like 4

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

Yes welcome!!

Yeah i thought the same thing when the starters came back.  But our bench largely plays against their bench not their starters so don't know for sure they could have closed it out. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

That is it.  A choice between sending people home from the game not knowing if it will be reopened for a missed call in the third quarter, massive delays for more review, or accepting some calls will go uncorrected.  Technology is the only long term solution I can see.

This isn't working. It's just not.

I think we'd have less controversy if we just went the playground route, and said "call your own fouls."

(Kidding? Maybe half. Definitely not completely.)

We agree on the technology part.

Could this make a difference, ie, if we assume that refs can give more substantial attention to calling fouls, ie, given that they're relieved from having to give focus to making these other possession calls?

Could it even be that Hawk-Eye will permit better and shorter reviews?

2023-03-23_13-56-37.png

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Where people take your advice and refocus the conversation on the merits, there are going to be no issues.  People can always do that here to get things back on track regardless if the issue is name calling, questioning a poster’s intelligence, accusing a poster of bias, etc.  People are being asked to avoid these things because they distract from the conversation and end up with people feeling insulted, defensive, etc.  If someone tells me I am a dolt because of my view then we can avoid broader issues by calming down the rhetoric and talking basketball.  As a moderator we are going to come down on people who engage in these behaviors because they are detrimental to the board as a whole but clearly not every instance is a huge deal.  Here it wasn’t but I reminded people to avoid these kinds of attacks for these reasons and people moved right on.  All good.

The word “agenda” isn’t banned from the site and can be used in ways that aren’t a problem at all.  The most common use is problematic which is accusing the other person of having an agenda as an attack on the position they articulated by virtue of that agenda stripping the poster of credibility on the issue.  That is why the reminder showed up here.  

Best to avoid name calling in all forms.

Fair enough.

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I keep waiting for someone to explain why if the refs hate Trae so much why do they call these 'baited' fouls in his favor?  If all the complaining and hate gets him to the line 16 times then i hope he keeps doing it. 

You know why? 

Because if they didn't, the FT disparity between the Hawks and the opponent will be astronomical.

Very few players on our team play with enough force to even draw fouls.  The refs are aware of this. 

So unless they decide to let both teams play, they have to try to even out the fouls.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I feel you bro. I get caught by the same posters saying the same things that are sometimes factual, sometimes not after every win. 😉

I don't believe you. 

Like I said in the post you didn't respond to, you have set up a bullet proof argument. He shoots, you criticize for "taking all the shots".  He passes instead of shoots, you criticize for turnovers or not being a superstar.  Either way, you get to criticize the same player after every loss.  Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Edited by REHawksFan

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Watching that 3rd quarter was really hard. They would make a terrible call for one side and then call 2 bogus fouls for the other side, trying to compensate. No doubt it was one of the worst officiated games I can remember. All in all the Hawks were shafted, we should definitely have won the game. 

Now Dre, yeah... He makes the open ones at a very good clip, but under pressure he fails miserably.

Which is crazy, because this is the same guy that made this shot in the NCAA Championship.

That was also the game that got him to be a top 5 pick.

And even though this one was lucky, he still had the presence of mind to catch and get the shot up quickly in time.

At minimum, Dre should be on the Mikal Bridges track of young talent that is on the verge of getting to that next level.  And speaking of Bridges, he's become a borderline superstar in Brooklyn, now that he's the #1 option on that squad.

Now that they're finally sliding down, Miami may overtake them for the 6th spot, and have them fall to 7th.  But we have to make sure we stay at 8, which is definitely not a lock by any means.