• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Cavaliers at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Dre is the better overall player, but Bey is the better fit with Trae and Murray IMO

Dre does very little above average. He is an average shooter. He is an average scorer. He is an average defender. He can't pass or dribble. Plus, he has a slow release and shoots 3s at a low volume.

Bey is an aggressive gunner who is physical and likes contact on both ends. He is also a smarter player than. Hunter.

Pay Bey and trade Collins and Hunter.

I don't think his release is that slow actually.    It's a little weird.   

The question is can Bey be an effective starter on a contending team.  I'm not sure based on his defense.  But yeah the guy can push the ball and absorb contact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Trae played better late because he was in the game with the bench.  OO, Bey, Bogi gave us some energy we weren't getting from the starters. 

DJ definitely heard the chatter yesterday.   We too easily forgot what he's capable of.  Quin is going to unlock these guys.  Still wish we'd gone after Mitchell though.   

Normally, this is Dejounte's run.  Here was the rotation vs the Grizzlies on Sunday:

image.thumb.png.7d7ab4f93ada3260d0c281e94e07e471.png

This was the rotation last night vs Cleveland:

image.thumb.png.fbbb92ce847e473f4111df5a81b42d86.png

Looks like Quin made a tweak to the lineup, based off of what happened in the Memphis game.  Trae with the bench works IF he's looking to get his shooters the ball at the 3 point line.  Trae tends to get people wide open looks with his passes to the 3 point line, because he's drawing so much attention on drives.

Also, it looks like he shyed away from playing either Trae or Dejounte a full quarter, and making sure they come out after 8 - 10 minutes of consecutive play.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Vit had his turn last night and he showed up well. 

"Well" is a bit charitable, imo, but Vit didn't look out of place. He looked like he belonged. He made no big screw-ups. He made a good pass. Got a rebound, I think. He played decent defense for someone who, as far as I'm aware, has no reputation for even decent defense.

Count me intrigued.

18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The Washington game would be a good time for Capela to get a DNP ( rest ), so that we can start Okongwu and put in Bruno as the backup 5.  Capela would still have to dress, just in case one or both of them got in foul trouble.

He'll be the last off the bench, but to me (and maybe to you, too), my expectations are moderately high if/when this happens.... even as I know the expectations of most are moderately low. Bruno can defend a rim in 2023. Bruno will go get you some rebounds and some put-backs. And he's learned now to set screens w/o getting called for offensive fouls. Are his hands any better? Can he catch the ball? That's the bugaboo. But dang, his shooting form is and always has been suggestive of a guy who, eventually, could be a reliable scorer if ever he could get some minutes.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think his release is that slow actually.    It's a little weird.

Average release timing, imo, but higher release point than is typical... so yeah, a little weird.

• Premium Member

Hey does anyone know a good way to find a really old comment where I made a bet with @bleachkit OO would be making 1 three a game by the '23-24 season?  This was before OO took any in-game threes (I think it was the last part of his rookie year), so I want to make sure I can bookmark that one since OO is tracking on being able to put a couple corner threes up a game soon

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Hey does anyone know a good way to find a really old comment where I made a bet with @bleachkit OO would be making 1 three a game by the '23-24 season?  This was before OO took any in-game threes (I think it was the last part of his rookie year), so I want to make sure I can bookmark that one since OO is tracking on being able to put a couple corner threes up a game soon

Havent' you lost already since that's next season.  He's no where close to that.  maybe i don't understand the bet. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Havent' you lost already since that's next season.  He's no where close to that.  maybe i don't understand the bet. 

He's workin' macdaddy, next season hasn't even started!  With Nate out of the way, OO is going to be working on that distance all summer.  Snyder will encourage him to let those three balls fly.  Also, if he gets a starter nod next year and mixes PF/C minutes, it's not unreasonable to think he can put up almost three 3s a game and make one of them.

• Moderators

I searched several ways but couldn't find the bet.  I saw you reference it on a couple of occasions.  (all slightly different lol)

Here is my search

Searched for 'bet' in All Content (hawksquawk.net)

Here is the first reference to it i found 

I still think you're going to lose unless he's just allowed to get to that level for like one week before the deadline.  Making 2, 3s all year is a lot different than making 1 every game or attempting 2 every game.  

I think you guys will have to recreate the bet if y'all are willing. 

• Thanks 2

I think OO’s forays from three will be few and far between, his improved stroke pays the most dividends at the line for sure.  He’s too vital as a slow roller, lane clearer, offensive rebounder, and cutting Big to be out there IMO.

His FT rate last season was a crazy .487 (.401 this season). I want him to get back to that.  Traditional three point plays >>>>>> three point shots.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

You understand the bet perfectly. Unless OO suddenly goes on a 3 point barrage, this thing is over. Any avatar suggestions?

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You understand the bet perfectly. Unless OO suddenly goes on a 3 point barrage, this thing is over. Any avatar suggestions?

@bleachkit It all comes down to what @JeffS17 meant by "by"...

Did he mean in the time by the start of next season...

or

Did he mean positionally next to next season....

Is the 23-24 season a person?  If so, all OO would have to do is make a 3 pointer next to him in a game.

So-complicated GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

@bleachkit It all comes down to what @JeffS17 mean by "before"...

Did he mean in the time before the start of next season...

or

Did he mean positionally in front of next season....

Is the 23-24 season a person?  If so, all OO would have to do is make a 3 pointer in front of him in a game.

So-complicated GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

As our resident legal expert, I'll let @AHF have the final word on this. Any reasonable, fair review will conclude I'm the winner of this bet. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

As our resident legal expert, I'll let @AHF have the final word on this. Any reasonable, fair review will conclude I'm the winner of this bet. 

Did anyone find the initial bet?  I can't find it.   Y'all should restate what you think the bet was and see how far apart you are. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

I had to revisit the reenactment of the original statement.   He said by and not before.   By makes this so much more trickier... because by also could be time or position and if stated, it could be confused with a common closing that two or more people share when someone is leaving.    But since he spelled out by, we can take that meaning off the table.  And go with time or position.  One way, you will be the winner of the bet.   The other depends on if the 23-24 season is a person and will OO hit a three standing next to him.   If Jeff S. starts working on it today, he can have a child with a woman and name the child 23-24 season... and then he can manipulate OO to take a three pointer while standing next to the child... and he can win the bet. 🙂  so  this thing is not over.   No lawyer could refute that. 

No-lawyers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, sturt said:

"Well" is a bit charitable, imo, but Vit didn't look out of place. He looked like he belonged. He made no big screw-ups. He made a good pass. Got a rebound, I think. He played decent defense for someone who, as far as I'm aware, has no reputation for even decent defense.

Count me intrigued.

Depends on your personal definition of "well."  You say this is a bit charitable, then made the statement proving what I meant when I said he played well.

He was promoted to the #9 player in the 9 man rotation.  Maybe my expectations do not fit with yours but, to me at least, he played well.  Well enough that he's got you intrigued!

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sturt said:

Aside: I pride myself on knowing about the pop artists of that time, and somehow this story escaped me. So, I had to go look it up.

And wow. Wasn't his wife, but some married psychotic suicidal woman who unfortunately for Al Green was absolutely star struck. Killed herself right after sneaking up behind him and pouring said hot grits down his back.

https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/2021/10/al-greens-girlfriend-scalded-him-with-hot-grits-and-then-killed-herself-on-this-day-in-1974-47-years.html

I thought it was his wife for decades lol.   I still need the facts on Michael Jackson’s hair catching on fire, Richard Pryor’s whole body catching on fire, and if the mob was involved in Micheal Jordan’s fathers death or not.  

Those were the good ole word-of-mouth days before TMZ confirmed facts of events that ain’t even over yet lol.

• Like 3

Oh yeah I’m totally here for the “Aye Bey-Bey!” cue from the arena DJ.  Singlehandedly keeping Hurricane Chris relevant.  It’s the sole reason ‘Diq been hooping so hard since coming over lol.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, terrell said:

Dre might be the better overall player(in theory), but Bey is the better fit with Trae and Murray IMO

Dre does very little above average. He is an average shooter. He is an average scorer. He is an average defender. He can't pass, dribble, or rebound,  Plus, he has a slow release and shoots 3s at a low volume.

Bey is an aggressive gunner who is physical and likes contact on both ends. He is also a smarter player than. Hunter.

Pay Bey and trade Collins and Hunter.

And get well soon JJ...

When you have zero understanding of modern defense, you say things like this. Bey should stay as should Hunter unless we upgrade him 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Oh yeah I’m totally here for the “Aye Bey-Bey!” cue from the arena DJ.  Singlehandedly keeping Hurricane Chris relevant.  It’s the sole reason ‘Diq been hooping so hard since coming over lol.

Don't forget the FLOAT!!!